Re: tags appear in ProductName

  • jenfaenza
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 17, 2006
      Hi Meng - The tags you are referring to are provided by our
      merchants in their product feed. This would explain why you may
      have seen them come and go -- it just depends on the merchant feed.

      We did not anticipate partners would have any trouble parsing the
      XML since the tags are in the [CDATA] section (and they should be
      ignored by an XML parser). Are these tags causing problems in your
      implementation?

      Thanks,
      Jen

      --- In yws-shopping@yahoogroups.com, "Meng-You Yang" <myyang@...>
      wrote:

      > Jen and the team,
      >
      > Some queries using "4168-Brand" as refinements, for example,
      >
      > http://api.shopping.yahoo.com/ShoppingService/V2/productSearch?

      appid=YahooDemo&class=catalogs&category=Televisions&refinement=4168-
      > Brand=Sony&results=50
      >
      > have weird <b></b> tags appearing around the brand names in
      > ProductName in the returned results:
      >
      > <ProductName><![CDATA[<b>Sony</b> BRAVIA KDL-V32XBR1 Television]]
      > ></ProductName>
      > <ProductName><![CDATA[<b>Sony</b> KDL-40S2000 Television]]
      > ></ProductName>
      > <ProductName><![CDATA[<b>Sony</b> BRAVIA KDL-V40XBR1 Television]]
      > ></ProductName>
      >
      > We didn't see this problem several months ago, but recently we've
      > seen this appear, disapper, re-appear, re-disappear... several
      times.
      > Can you look into this?! Thanks a lot for your help!
      >

      > Meng

    • Meng-You Yang
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 19, 2006
        Hi! Jen,

        Thanks for your reply. It seems that those <b></b> tags probably
        aren't coming from merchant feeds, because where those tags appear
        seems to depend on the keywords or brand names being queried on.
        For example, when you search for keywords "Doom"
        (http://api.shopping.yahoo.com/ShoppingService/V2/productSearch?appid=YahooDemo&category=Video%20Games&query=Doom&results=50)
        and "Resurrection"
        (http://api.shopping.yahoo.com/ShoppingService/V2/productSearch?appid=YahooDemo&category=Video%20Games&query=Resurrection&results=50)
        in the "Video Games" category. For the same product (catalog ID
        1951108589), the first query returns:

        <ProductName><b>Doom</b> 3: Resurrection of Evil Xbox</ProductName>

        while the second query returns:

        <ProductName>Doom 3: <b>Resurrection</b> of Evil Xbox</ProductName>

        This may be a nice feature to highlight the keywords being
        searched for. It's not too much trouble for us. We can filter
        out those tags by ourselves as long as we know this is the way
        it is. But this is not mentioned in the spec and is different
        from what it used to be several months ago. So it may just be
        confusing to other people.

        Meng

        --- In yws-shopping@yahoogroups.com, "jenfaenza" <jenfaenza@...> wrote:

        > Hi Meng - The tags you are referring to are provided by our
        > merchants in their product feed. This would explain why you may
        > have seen them come and go -- it just depends on the merchant feed.
        >
        > We did not anticipate partners would have any trouble parsing the
        > XML since the tags are in the [CDATA] section (and they should be
        > ignored by an XML parser). Are these tags causing problems in your
        > implementation?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Jen
        >
        > --- In yws-shopping@yahoogroups.com, "Meng-You Yang" <myyang@>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > Jen and the team,
        > >
        > > Some queries using "4168-Brand" as refinements, for example,
        > >
        > > http://api.shopping.yahoo.com/ShoppingService/V2/productSearch?
        > >
        > appid=YahooDemo&class=catalogs&category=Televisions&refinement=4168-
        > > Brand=Sony&results=50
        > >
        > > have weird <b></b> tags appearing around the brand names in
        > > ProductName in the returned results:
        > >
        > > <ProductName><![CDATA[<b>Sony</b> BRAVIA KDL-V32XBR1 Television]]
        > > ></ProductName>
        > > <ProductName><![CDATA[<b>Sony</b> KDL-40S2000 Television]]
        > > ></ProductName>
        > > <ProductName><![CDATA[<b>Sony</b> BRAVIA KDL-V40XBR1 Television]]
        > > ></ProductName>
        > >
        > > We didn't see this problem several months ago, but recently we've
        > > seen this appear, disapper, re-appear, re-disappear... several
        > times.
        > > Can you look into this?! Thanks a lot for your help!
        > >

        > > Meng
      • jenfaenza
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 19, 2006
          Hi Meng,

          Thanks for the examples. It looks like you are right -- our search
          back-end bolds the keyword searched for in the product title of our
          product search results.

          The confusing part in trying to track this down is that we haven't
          made any API changes recently to expose this feature. It seems that
          there may have been a change on the search back-end to expose this
          feature in the results returned to the API, and it was simply passed
          through in the API results.

          Apologies for the confusion on this!