tags appear in ProductName

  • Meng-You Yang
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 13, 2006
      Jen and the team,

      Some queries using "4168-Brand" as refinements, for example,

      http://api.shopping.yahoo.com/ShoppingService/V2/productSearch?
      appid=YahooDemo&class=catalogs&category=Televisions&refinement=4168-
      Brand=Sony&results=50

      have weird <b></b> tags appearing around the brand names in
      ProductName in the returned results:

      <ProductName><![CDATA[<b>Sony</b> BRAVIA KDL-V32XBR1 Television]]
      ></ProductName>
      <ProductName><![CDATA[<b>Sony</b> KDL-40S2000 Television]]
      ></ProductName>
      <ProductName><![CDATA[<b>Sony</b> BRAVIA KDL-V40XBR1 Television]]
      ></ProductName>

      We didn't see this problem several months ago, but recently we've
      seen this appear, disapper, re-appear, re-disappear... several times.
      Can you look into this?! Thanks a lot for your help!

      Meng
    • jenfaenza
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 17, 2006
        Hi Meng - The tags you are referring to are provided by our
        merchants in their product feed. This would explain why you may
        have seen them come and go -- it just depends on the merchant feed.

        We did not anticipate partners would have any trouble parsing the
        XML since the tags are in the [CDATA] section (and they should be
        ignored by an XML parser). Are these tags causing problems in your
        implementation?

        Thanks,
        Jen

        --- In yws-shopping@yahoogroups.com, "Meng-You Yang" <myyang@...>
        wrote:

        > Jen and the team,
        >
        > Some queries using "4168-Brand" as refinements, for example,
        >
        > http://api.shopping.yahoo.com/ShoppingService/V2/productSearch?

        appid=YahooDemo&class=catalogs&category=Televisions&refinement=4168-
        > Brand=Sony&results=50
        >
        > have weird <b></b> tags appearing around the brand names in
        > ProductName in the returned results:
        >
        > <ProductName><![CDATA[<b>Sony</b> BRAVIA KDL-V32XBR1 Television]]
        > ></ProductName>
        > <ProductName><![CDATA[<b>Sony</b> KDL-40S2000 Television]]
        > ></ProductName>
        > <ProductName><![CDATA[<b>Sony</b> BRAVIA KDL-V40XBR1 Television]]
        > ></ProductName>
        >
        > We didn't see this problem several months ago, but recently we've
        > seen this appear, disapper, re-appear, re-disappear... several
        times.
        > Can you look into this?! Thanks a lot for your help!
        >

        > Meng

      • Meng-You Yang
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 19, 2006
          Hi! Jen,

          Thanks for your reply. It seems that those <b></b> tags probably
          aren't coming from merchant feeds, because where those tags appear
          seems to depend on the keywords or brand names being queried on.
          For example, when you search for keywords "Doom"
          (http://api.shopping.yahoo.com/ShoppingService/V2/productSearch?appid=YahooDemo&category=Video%20Games&query=Doom&results=50)
          and "Resurrection"
          (http://api.shopping.yahoo.com/ShoppingService/V2/productSearch?appid=YahooDemo&category=Video%20Games&query=Resurrection&results=50)
          in the "Video Games" category. For the same product (catalog ID
          1951108589), the first query returns:

          <ProductName><b>Doom</b> 3: Resurrection of Evil Xbox</ProductName>

          while the second query returns:

          <ProductName>Doom 3: <b>Resurrection</b> of Evil Xbox</ProductName>

          This may be a nice feature to highlight the keywords being
          searched for. It's not too much trouble for us. We can filter
          out those tags by ourselves as long as we know this is the way
          it is. But this is not mentioned in the spec and is different
          from what it used to be several months ago. So it may just be
          confusing to other people.

          Meng

          --- In yws-shopping@yahoogroups.com, "jenfaenza" <jenfaenza@...> wrote:

          > Hi Meng - The tags you are referring to are provided by our
          > merchants in their product feed. This would explain why you may
          > have seen them come and go -- it just depends on the merchant feed.
          >
          > We did not anticipate partners would have any trouble parsing the
          > XML since the tags are in the [CDATA] section (and they should be
          > ignored by an XML parser). Are these tags causing problems in your
          > implementation?
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Jen
          >
          > --- In yws-shopping@yahoogroups.com, "Meng-You Yang" <myyang@>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > Jen and the team,
          > >
          > > Some queries using "4168-Brand" as refinements, for example,
          > >
          > > http://api.shopping.yahoo.com/ShoppingService/V2/productSearch?
          > >
          > appid=YahooDemo&class=catalogs&category=Televisions&refinement=4168-
          > > Brand=Sony&results=50
          > >
          > > have weird <b></b> tags appearing around the brand names in
          > > ProductName in the returned results:
          > >
          > > <ProductName><![CDATA[<b>Sony</b> BRAVIA KDL-V32XBR1 Television]]
          > > ></ProductName>
          > > <ProductName><![CDATA[<b>Sony</b> KDL-40S2000 Television]]
          > > ></ProductName>
          > > <ProductName><![CDATA[<b>Sony</b> BRAVIA KDL-V40XBR1 Television]]
          > > ></ProductName>
          > >
          > > We didn't see this problem several months ago, but recently we've
          > > seen this appear, disapper, re-appear, re-disappear... several
          > times.
          > > Can you look into this?! Thanks a lot for your help!
          > >

          > > Meng
        • jenfaenza
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 19, 2006
            Hi Meng,

            Thanks for the examples. It looks like you are right -- our search
            back-end bolds the keyword searched for in the product title of our
            product search results.

            The confusing part in trying to track this down is that we haven't
            made any API changes recently to expose this feature. It seems that
            there may have been a change on the search back-end to expose this
            feature in the results returned to the API, and it was simply passed
            through in the API results.

            Apologies for the confusion on this!