Locked out of shopping search service..

  • kouki_bureau
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 29, 2006
      Hi,

      I found myself locked out of the Y shopping API yesterday evening,
      even though I am sure I didn't remotely come close to reaching the
      rate limit. I did see another msg in this list that pointed to sending
      requests in a loop as a possible problem, so I just added a sleep() to
      my loop.

      However for now I am still locked out. Is there some way of resetting
      this, or does it go away by itself in a few hours?!?

      Thanks!

      Karim
    • Nate Koechley
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 2, 2006

        Hi Karim,

        The rate limit is based on 24 hours, specifically 24 hours after your first hit (not midnight). Documented here:

        http://developer.yahoo.com/search/rate.html

        Hope that helps,

        Thanks,

        Nate

        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 2, 2006
          Hi Karim,

          Are you still getting blocked from calling the Shopping API? In
          addition to the daily limit (5,000 calls/day), there is also an
          hourly limit (5,000 calls/day evenly split across 1 hour
          increments). Is it possible you were exceeding the hourly limit?

          Feel free to send an email to me directly with your appid if you're
          still experiencing problems. I'll be happy to look into it for you.

          Thanks!
          Jen
          --- In yws-shopping@yahoogroups.com, "kouki_bureau"
          <karim.younes@...> wrote:

          > Hi,
          >
          > I found myself locked out of the Y shopping API yesterday evening,
          > even though I am sure I didn't remotely come close to reaching the
          > rate limit. I did see another msg in this list that pointed to
          sending
          > requests in a loop as a possible problem, so I just added a sleep
          > my loop.
          >
          > However for now I am still locked out. Is there some way of
          resetting
          > this, or does it go away by itself in a few hours?!?
          >
          > Thanks!
          >
          > Karim

        • kouki_bureau
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 3, 2006
            Jen,

            Thanks, I was allowed back in after (roughly) 24 hours.

            Still a bit curious about *why* I was locked out. I understand the
            rate limit isn't only a 24 hour thing, it's also a frequency thing,
            but still, I am 99.99% sure I didn't DOS-attack the service... Oh well.

            Thanks again.

            Btw, I too noticed that the php examples are not at all helpful for
            the shopping stuff. I would post my working script, but it's ugly and
            I'm almost ashamed of it :-) (but it works)

            Karim