Account Names via API

  • zachberke
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 27 2:34 PM
      Hi,

      Is there any way to get account name (from account id or some other
      way) using the API? I can get a list of all my accounts using
      "GetAccountIds", but I want to know their names as well.

      Thanks,
      Zach
    • senor_ysm
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 27 2:47 PM
        --- In yws-searchmarketing@yahoogroups.com, "zachberke" <zach@t...>
        wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > Is there any way to get account name (from account id or some other
        > way) using the API? I can get a list of all my accounts using
        > "GetAccountIds", but I want to know their names as well.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Zach

        Zach,

        The GetAccountName command should do the trick.

        Thanks,
        Senor YSM
      • zachberke
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 27 6:08 PM
          Senor YSM,

          Thanks for the speedy reply.

          I've got the latest documentation (1.2.1 released July 2005) and it
          makes no mention of this operation.

          In fact, now that I'm looking, I see that a ton of operations listed
          in the old 1.2 (Feb 2005) doc are no longer described in the 1.2.1
          (July 2005) doc. Do these documents need to be used side by side
          instead of replacing 1.2 w/ 1.2.1?

          Thanks,
          Zach

          --- In yws-searchmarketing@yahoogroups.com, "senor_ysm" <sunr@y...> wrote:
          > --- In yws-searchmarketing@yahoogroups.com, "zachberke" <zach@t...>
          > wrote:
          > > Hi,
          > >
          > > Is there any way to get account name (from account id or some other
          > > way) using the API? I can get a list of all my accounts using
          > > "GetAccountIds", but I want to know their names as well.
          > >
          > > Thanks,
          > > Zach
          >
          > Zach,
          >
          > The GetAccountName command should do the trick.
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Senor YSM
        • rks10x
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 28 8:46 AM
            Hello,

            I did not know there was new documentation. The stuff I have is dated
            April 2005. How can I get this new version?

            Keith

            --- In yws-searchmarketing@yahoogroups.com, "zachberke" <zach@t...> wrote:
            > Senor YSM,
            >
            > Thanks for the speedy reply.
            >
            > I've got the latest documentation (1.2.1 released July 2005) and it
            > makes no mention of this operation.
            >
            > In fact, now that I'm looking, I see that a ton of operations listed
            > in the old 1.2 (Feb 2005) doc are no longer described in the 1.2.1
            > (July 2005) doc. Do these documents need to be used side by side
            > instead of replacing 1.2 w/ 1.2.1?
            >
            > Thanks,
            > Zach
            >

            > --- In yws-searchmarketing@yahoogroups.com, "senor_ysm" <sunr@y...>
            wrote:
            > > --- In yws-searchmarketing@yahoogroups.com, "zachberke" <zach@t...>
            > > wrote:
            > > > Hi,
            > > >
            > > > Is there any way to get account name (from account id or some other
            > > > way) using the API? I can get a list of all my accounts using
            > > > "GetAccountIds", but I want to know their names as well.
            > > >
            > > > Thanks,
            > > > Zach
            > >
            > > Zach,
            > >
            > > The GetAccountName command should do the trick.

            > > Thanks,
            > > Senor YSM
          • zachberke
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 28 9:50 AM
              Also, (from doc dated Feb 2005 -- I haven't seen the April 2005
              version that Keith is referring to):

              "Use GetAccountName to retrieve the text name for a particular accountId"

              Is there a way to get a list of account names for a list of account
              ids? Or will I have to issue a GetAccountName op for each account
              whose name I want? If so, am I going to run into Rate Limitation
              Exceeded issues?

              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 28 10:00 AM
                Hey Zach,

                I'm not aware of any bulk method for this. You'll have to do 'em 1 at a
                time. Unless you have a ridiculous number of accounts, I doubt you'll
                run into rate limit issues. If you do, please contact your support team.

                Note also that I'd suggest NOT using this command when you don't have
                to. Why slow down your application making an XML call for an account
                name? Just fetch it once, and cache it. People don't change account
                names very often. Maybe refresh/expire your cache once a month or once
                a week. This is just a good programming practice, IMHO.

                Good luck,
                -Y!SM Monkey

                zachberke wrote:
                > Also, (from doc dated Feb 2005 -- I haven't seen the April 2005
                > version that Keith is referring to):
                >
                > "Use GetAccountName to retrieve the text name for a particular accountId"
                >
                > Is there a way to get a list of account names for a list of account
                > ids? Or will I have to issue a GetAccountName op for each account
                > whose name I want? If so, am I going to run into Rate Limitation
                > Exceeded issues?
                >
                > Thanks,
                > Zach

              • zachberke
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 28 11:32 AM
                  Monkey,

                  Thanks for the advice. I am building an application that needs to
                  download all accounts at the get-go, which is why I'd like to get the
                  names.

                  Is the documentation conflict/lapses being investigated? It'd be
                  great to have a single PDF to refer to, rather than shuffling!

                  Thanks,
                  Zach

                  --- In yws-searchmarketing@yahoogroups.com, "Yahoo! Search Marketing
                  Monkey" <plummerm@y...> wrote:
                  > Hey Zach,
                  >
                  > I'm not aware of any bulk method for this. You'll have to do 'em 1
                  at a
                  > time. Unless you have a ridiculous number of accounts, I doubt you'll
                  > run into rate limit issues. If you do, please contact your support
                  team.

                  > Note also that I'd suggest NOT using this command when you don't have
                  > to. Why slow down your application making an XML call for an account
                  > name? Just fetch it once, and cache it. People don't change account
                  > names very often. Maybe refresh/expire your cache once a month or once
                  > a week. This is just a good programming practice, IMHO.
                  >
                  > Good luck,
                  > -Y!SM Monkey
                  >
                  > zachberke wrote:
                  > > Also, (from doc dated Feb 2005 -- I haven't seen the April 2005
                  > > version that Keith is referring to):
                  > >
                  > > "Use GetAccountName to retrieve the text name for a particular
                  accountId"

                  > > Is there a way to get a list of account names for a list of account
                  > > ids? Or will I have to issue a GetAccountName op for each account
                  > > whose name I want? If so, am I going to run into Rate Limitation
                  > > Exceeded issues?
                  > >
                  > > Thanks,
                  > > Zach

                • senor_ysm
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 28 11:45 AM
                    Zach,

                    We're working on consolidating the commands into a single doc.
                    We'll keep you posted.

                    wrote:
                    > Monkey,
                    >
                    > Thanks for the advice. I am building an application that needs to
                    > download all accounts at the get-go, which is why I'd like to get
                    the
                    > names.
                    >
                    > Is the documentation conflict/lapses being investigated? It'd be
                    > great to have a single PDF to refer to, rather than shuffling!
                    >
                    > Thanks,
                    > Zach
                    >
                    > --- In yws-searchmarketing@yahoogroups.com, "Yahoo! Search
                    Marketing
                    > Monkey" <plummerm@y...> wrote:
                    > > Hey Zach,
                    > >
                    > > I'm not aware of any bulk method for this. You'll have to
                    do 'em 1
                    > at a
                    > > time. Unless you have a ridiculous number of accounts, I doubt
                    you'll
                    > > run into rate limit issues. If you do, please contact your
                    support
                    > team.
                    > >
                    > > Note also that I'd suggest NOT using this command when you don't
                    have
                    > > to. Why slow down your application making an XML call for an
                    account
                    > > name? Just fetch it once, and cache it. People don't change
                    account
                    > > names very often. Maybe refresh/expire your cache once a month
                    or once
                    > > a week. This is just a good programming practice, IMHO.
                    > >
                    > > Good luck,
                    > > -Y!SM Monkey
                    > >
                    > > zachberke wrote:
                    > > > Also, (from doc dated Feb 2005 -- I haven't seen the April 2005
                    > > > version that Keith is referring to):
                    > > >
                    > > > "Use GetAccountName to retrieve the text name for a particular
                    > accountId"
                    > > >
                    > > > Is there a way to get a list of account names for a list of
                    account
                    > > > ids? Or will I have to issue a GetAccountName op for each
                    account
                    > > > whose name I want? If so, am I going to run into Rate
                    Limitation
                    > > > Exceeded issues?
                    > > >
                    > > > Thanks,
                    > > > Zach

                  • senor_ysm
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 28 2:36 PM
                      Zach,

                      We've modified the tech doc to include the appropriate commands so
                      you don't have to alternate between the two. What's the best email
                      address to forward the file to?

                      wrote:
                      > Monkey,
                      >
                      > Thanks for the advice. I am building an application that needs to
                      > download all accounts at the get-go, which is why I'd like to get
                      the
                      > names.
                      >
                      > Is the documentation conflict/lapses being investigated? It'd be
                      > great to have a single PDF to refer to, rather than shuffling!
                      >
                      > Thanks,
                      > Zach
                      >
                      > --- In yws-searchmarketing@yahoogroups.com, "Yahoo! Search
                      Marketing
                      > Monkey" <plummerm@y...> wrote:
                      > > Hey Zach,
                      > >
                      > > I'm not aware of any bulk method for this. You'll have to
                      do 'em 1
                      > at a
                      > > time. Unless you have a ridiculous number of accounts, I doubt
                      you'll
                      > > run into rate limit issues. If you do, please contact your
                      support
                      > team.
                      > >
                      > > Note also that I'd suggest NOT using this command when you don't
                      have
                      > > to. Why slow down your application making an XML call for an
                      account
                      > > name? Just fetch it once, and cache it. People don't change
                      account
                      > > names very often. Maybe refresh/expire your cache once a month
                      or once
                      > > a week. This is just a good programming practice, IMHO.
                      > >
                      > > Good luck,
                      > > -Y!SM Monkey
                      > >
                      > > zachberke wrote:
                      > > > Also, (from doc dated Feb 2005 -- I haven't seen the April 2005
                      > > > version that Keith is referring to):
                      > > >
                      > > > "Use GetAccountName to retrieve the text name for a particular
                      > accountId"
                      > > >
                      > > > Is there a way to get a list of account names for a list of
                      account
                      > > > ids? Or will I have to issue a GetAccountName op for each
                      account
                      > > > whose name I want? If so, am I going to run into Rate
                      Limitation
                      > > > Exceeded issues?
                      > > >
                      > > > Thanks,
                      > > > Zach

                    • zachberke
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jul 28 5:50 PM
                        Awesome, thanks for the quick reply senor!

                        Perhaps you could post it to the Files section of this group for
                        everyone's benefit? (OK, there looks like there's two users and two
                        moderators right now... but later?)

                        I was able to grab the PHP code posted there earlier today.

                        If not, feel free to email me at yaws@....