Re: RESTful interface?

  • scorchio96
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 31, 2007
      Wow, learn SOAP because it will look good on my resume? I have to
      assume you were joking.

      The falacy that SOAP is somehow more secure than REST is discussed in
      this blog:

      http://wanderingbarque.com/nonintersecting/2006/12/01/restful-security/

      "The standard RESTful security approach is, of course, HTTP Basic or
      HTTP Digest or SSL certificate-based mutual authentication for
      propagating identity credentials (the actual act of authentication and
      authorization being the purview of the server) and SSL for data
      integrity (digital signatures) and data protection (encryption)."

      --- In yws-searchmarketing@yahoogroups.com, "don.frazier"
      <don_frazier_2004@...> wrote:

      > REST may be simple but it isn't secure. SOAP is the way forward. I
      > think it's unlikely you'll see interfaces that aren't secure when lots
      > of money is involved. Go ahead and learn SOAP, if for no other reason
      > than it looks good on your resume. :)
      >
      > --- In yws-searchmarketing@yahoogroups.com, "scorchio96"
      > <scorchio96@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Is there likely to be a RESTful interface available any time soon? I
      > > have been using the RESTful search interface and find it much simpler
      > > to use than the SOAP equivalent.

    • scorchio96
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 31, 2007
        An message-level security is discussed more here:
        http://wanderingbarque.com/nonintersecting/2007/05/25/message-level-security-and-rest/

        <scorchio96@...> wrote:

        > Wow, learn SOAP because it will look good on my resume? I have to
        > assume you were joking.
        >
        > The falacy that SOAP is somehow more secure than REST is discussed in
        > this blog:
        >
        > http://wanderingbarque.com/nonintersecting/2006/12/01/restful-security/
        >
        > "The standard RESTful security approach is, of course, HTTP Basic or
        > HTTP Digest or SSL certificate-based mutual authentication for
        > propagating identity credentials (the actual act of authentication and
        > authorization being the purview of the server) and SSL for data
        > integrity (digital signatures) and data protection (encryption)."
        >

        > --- In yws-searchmarketing@yahoogroups.com, "don.frazier"
        > <don_frazier_2004@> wrote:
        > >
        > > REST may be simple but it isn't secure. SOAP is the way forward. I
        > > think it's unlikely you'll see interfaces that aren't secure when
        lots
        > > of money is involved. Go ahead and learn SOAP, if for no other
        reason
        > > than it looks good on your resume. :)
        > >
        > > --- In yws-searchmarketing@yahoogroups.com, "scorchio96"
        > > <scorchio96@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Is there likely to be a RESTful interface available any time soon? I
        > > > have been using the RESTful search interface and find it much
        simpler
        > > > to use than the SOAP equivalent.

      • don.frazier
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 31, 2007
          Joke or not ... check any job board (you pick) and see which skill is
          listed more often for open positions. If we were looking for
          superior technology, we wouldn't be using TCP/IP.

          We're pretty far off base here so I won't be posting any more on this
          subject. Feel free to respond privately if you feel the need.

          Sorry you didn't find my reply helpful.