Re: [yws-searchmarketing] How to improve reports

  • Tim Cadell
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 27, 2007
      On 3/27/07, kdwmoney94309 <kwallace@...> wrote:
      > I wonder if we can't put together a list of things we'd like to see
      > added to the report service functionality? Who knows if yahoo will
      > actually implement our suggestions, but ostensibly this api is for us
      > so if we all would like to see something...
      >
      > Here are the three things I can think of that we would like (in order
      > of importance):
      >
      > 1. Keyword Bid (Ad Group bid if no keyword level bid)
      > 2. Content results in keyword reports
      > 3. Ability to specify which columns are included

      > What else?

      4. Reports that subtotal by date would be nice. For instance, getting
      one row for each URL on each date in the report date range, showing
      clicks and CPC or cost. This would be very useful for determining
      traffic by URL by date.

      --
      Tim Cadell
      A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 27, 2007
        --- In yws-searchmarketing@yahoogroups.com, "Tim Cadell"

        > 4. Reports that subtotal by date would be nice. For instance, getting
        > one row for each URL on each date in the report date range, showing
        > clicks and CPC or cost. This would be very useful for determining
        > traffic by URL by date.

        +1000000

        PLEASE PLEASE gives us the ability to group at a date level!!!! It
        sucks having to make multiple report calls to get a day by day activity
        report.
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 27, 2007
          Take my feedback with the understanding that my opinion has nothing to
          do with how this information will be used in deciding the product
          roadmap at Yahoo! Just conversing right now :)

          > 1. Keyword Bid (Ad Group bid if no keyword level bid)

          Is this the *current* keyword bid at the time the report is pulled, or
          the bid at the time the particular impressions/clicks were received.
          The former adds little value besides saving a call to
          KeywordService.getKeyword. The latter has the potential to really blow
          out the amount of data you might get back.

          > 2. Content results in keyword reports

          See my previous post about Content Match and Ad Groups/Keywords.

          > 3. Ability to specify which columns are included

          Completely agree.

          -Y!SM Monkey
        • Kevin Wallace
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 27, 2007
            Thanks for the quick reply!

            > > 1. Keyword Bid (Ad Group bid if no keyword level bid)
            >
            > Is this the *current* keyword bid at the time the report is pulled, or
            > the bid at the time the particular impressions/clicks were received.
            > The former adds little value besides saving a call to
            > KeywordService.getKeyword. The latter has the potential to really blow
            > out the amount of data you might get back.

            The former, I was referring to the current keyword bid. Saving a call
            to KeywordService.getKeyword is of huge value to us. We have about 500
            accounts in yahoo; if we want our local database to be in sync, I
            believe we would have to call getKeywordsByAccountID (not sure if that
            is the exact function name) for each of those hundreds of accounts
            every night. Is there some easier way of getting all keyword bids I'm
            overlooking?

            > > 2. Content results in keyword reports
            >
            > See my previous post about Content Match and Ad Groups/Keywords.

            I agree that conceptually content data doesn't belong at the keyword
            level, but why force us to run two reports to get all data?

            > > 3. Ability to specify which columns are included
            >
            > Completely agree.

            1 for 3 ain't bad :-)

            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 27, 2007
              > The former, I was referring to the current keyword bid. Saving a call
              > to KeywordService.getKeyword is of huge value to us. We have about 500
              > accounts in yahoo; if we want our local database to be in sync, I
              > believe we would have to call getKeywordsByAccountID (not sure if that
              > is the exact function name) for each of those hundreds of accounts
              > every night. Is there some easier way of getting all keyword bids I'm
              > overlooking?

              Nope. Your use case makes sense, I was just trying to clarify.

              > I agree that conceptually content data doesn't belong at the keyword
              > level, but why force us to run two reports to get all data?

              Sounds like what you really want is a tactic-based report that indicates
              at what level it references. So something like this (thinking out loud):

              tacticID (enum: SS, CM)
              componentType (enum: AdGroup, Keyword, etc)
              componentID (eg. keywordID, adGroupID)
              componentName
              clicks
              cost