update keyword's minimum bids

  • huang14518
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 15, 2009
      Hi,

      I'm working on a system which uses the Yahoo API to maintain a local representation of a user's PPC campaign. In order to keep that local representation in sync I need to be able to update keyword's minimum bids when they change. As far as I can tell the only way to do that is by calling getSponsoredSearchMinBidUpdatesByAdGroupId in the Keyword Service [1] every day for every ad group which I'm maintaining. Is that correct? Seems rather a chatty way to stay in sync, but if it's the only option I guess that's what I'll use.

      I also have a couple of questions:

      1) Can someone explain what effect the bidStatus parameter has in the getSponsoredSearchMinBidUpdatesByAdGroupId call. The documentation doesn't say.
      2) What happens if we fail to call that service method every single day?
      Would we miss updates that happened during the period we weren't checking?

      Jin
    • rp_johns2000
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 15, 2009
        You probably want to look at the BasicReportService and the BulkService. There should be something therin that makes life easier for you.

        --- In yws-searchmarketing@yahoogroups.com, "huang14518" <huang14518@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > I'm working on a system which uses the Yahoo API to maintain a local representation of a user's PPC campaign. In order to keep that local representation in sync I need to be able to update keyword's minimum bids when they change. As far as I can tell the only way to do that is by calling getSponsoredSearchMinBidUpdatesByAdGroupId in the Keyword Service [1] every day for every ad group which I'm maintaining. Is that correct? Seems rather a chatty way to stay in sync, but if it's the only option I guess that's what I'll use.
        >
        > I also have a couple of questions:
        >
        > 1) Can someone explain what effect the bidStatus parameter has in the getSponsoredSearchMinBidUpdatesByAdGroupId call. The documentation doesn't say.
        > 2) What happens if we fail to call that service method every single day?
        > Would we miss updates that happened during the period we weren't checking?
        >
        > Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
        >
        > Jin

      • Shevnock, Daniel
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 16, 2009

          Jin:

          We happen to do a very similar thing across Google, MSN and Yahoo. One of the key things to consider is how large the entire account structure is that you are working with and what the typical work flow is users manipulating that account.

          How many accounts, campaigns, adgroups and keywords do you have to manage?

          When do you plan on running this synchronization process?

          Are users able to manually adjust settings for each level of the account (account, campaign, adgroup and keyword settings)?

          Just to give you an idea on how we proceed with our account synchronization process, here is how we handle it. (I just don’t want to give out all of our secrets just in case you are in the same competitive segment as we are. J )

          -          Synchronize the master account location(s) using the getMasterAccountLocation() opetation

          -          Synchronize the account(s) using the getAccounts() operation

          -          Synchronize the campaign(s) based off the accounts you just synchronized

          -          Synchronize the adgroup(s) based off the campaigns you just synchronized

          -          Synchronize the keyword(s) based off the adgroups you just synchronized

          o        This part can be tricky and we found this to be especially true when managing one account, with 64 campaigns, 10,000+ adgroups and 400,000+ keywords. Our automated application runs every morning and needs to be completely hands off. Last time I knew for sure, Yahoo does not offer a way to download a complete account structure at the keyword level, so we have to fork off about 25 child processes to handle using the getKeywordsByAdGroupID() operation.

          o        You will also have to be careful with keywords that are not returned getKeywordsByAdGroupID() operation. A keyword not returned is considered deleted and you need to be able to reflect that in your local copy of the account structure. (Simply, we grab all of the keywords and compare the list of keywords to the list of keywords in our local copy. If a keyword is missing from the account sync operations, we assume it has been deleted and we make the change in our local copy.)

          The reason we go with this extra overhead is because we need to sync the complete and entire account structure (bids, current status, etc.). Will it does seem kind of kludge to go this route, this was the only way for us to do it. With the size of the account structure I mentioned previously, this whole process takes about 2 hours and 7 minutes. Typically, 2 hours and 1 minuute is spent managing the keyword synchronization.

          In my opinion, Yahoo has been the least responsive of the three major search engines providing PPC API. (Please do not mistake me for ranting or raving here, my opinion is just based of our historical dealings with our account and your mileage may vary with Yahoo.) Being able to download the complete account structure through the Reporting service would be phenomenal, and we are patiently waiting by for this to happen.

          If you decide to go down this synchronization process as we do, also keep tucked away in the back of your mind: you may have to work with your account rep to increase your daily quotas for API usage. If I remember correctly, this was about a 2 week process.

          Hopefully this helps you out and anyone else that might read this.

          Dan

          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 16, 2009
            1.> The BidStatus field in the getSponsoredSearchMinBidUpdatesByAdGroupId API
            is an optional filter. This filter will narrow down results to return
            only those minimum bid updated keywords for which the current BidStatus equals
            to the filter passed. If the BidStatus is not passed, all minimum bid
            updated keywords will be returned. Please note that while the
            updates, if any, are those of the previous day, the BidStatus filter
            is on the current keyword status.

            2.> Since the API will return updates only for the previous day,  if
            you fail to call the API on day 1 and call it the day 2, the keywords
            updated on day 1 would not be available.

            Jin & Dan, for your use case we would recommend using the
            downloadAccount/downloadCampaigns APIs to get the all the keywords
            under the account/campaigns. Please see bulk download flow  section
            to see how to use these APIs.

            --- In yws-searchmarketing@yahoogroups.com, "Shevnock, Daniel" <dshevnock@...> wrote:

> [...]
            > Typically, 2 hours and 1 minuute is spent managing the keyword
            > synchronization.
            >

            > In my opinion, Yahoo has been the least responsive of the three major
            > search engines providing PPC API. (Please do not mistake me for ranting
            > or raving here, my opinion is just based of our historical dealings with
            > our account and your mileage may vary with Yahoo.) Being able to
            > download the complete account structure through the Reporting service
            > would be phenomenal, and we are patiently waiting by for this to happen.
            >

            > If you decide to go down this synchronization process as we do, also
            > keep tucked away in the back of your mind: you may have to work with
            > your account rep to increase your daily quotas for API usage. If I
            > remember correctly, this was about a 2 week process.
            >

            > Hopefully this helps you out and anyone else that might read this.

          • Shevnock, Daniel
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 16, 2009

              Sorry, I should have also mentioned that I based my ideas on version 4 of the API and hadn’t realized the new functionalities available in 5.

              My apologies…

              Dan