Re: Clarification on terms of use

  • vassalmm
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 19, 2008
      Gus,

      You outlined the geocoder Maps API Terms of Use prohibit "use the
      stand-alone geocoder for any use other than displaying Yahoo! Maps or
      displaying points on Yahoo! Maps". The web site
      http://www.gpsvisualizer.com states that it uses the Y! API to
      generate geocode information for later use in a GPX file. I assume
      that they have licensed the API for this purpose. Could you explain
      this type of license and the cost involved?

      Thanks,
      Mike

      --- In yws-maps@yahoogroups.com, "Gus M" <gusm@...> wrote:

      > Hello,
      >
      > Unfortunately, the Y! Maps API Terms of Use prohibit "use the stand-
      > alone geocoder for any use other than displaying Yahoo! Maps or
      > displaying points on Yahoo! Maps"
      >
      > http://info.yahoo.com/legal/us/yahoo/maps/mapsapi/mapsapi-2141.html
      >

      > Gus…

      > Gus Maldonado
      > Sr. Product Manager - Y! GeoSpatial Technologies
      >
      > --- In yws-maps@yahoogroups.com, "t_suja" <t_suja@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Thanks for your clarification Gus. Can I ask you if it is legal for
      > > website to use the Yahoo Geocoding service, use the returned
      > > coordiates to zoom in to a location on a Yahoo map and then extract
      > > the extent of this Yahoo map to use it in a different application?
      > >
      > > Many thanks.

    • Gus M
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 21, 2008
        We're reviewing this implementation.