Flickr has the hiccups.... When on Google AppEngine?!

  • alex.snaps
    Message 1 of 8 , May 28 12:55 PM

      Hi,

      I should probably have brought this up here, instead than on the help forum here:

      https://www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157644779439184/

      But long story short, looks like my app won't work reliably when running on Google App Engine.

      Even flickr.test.echo fails with "Hold your clicks a moment please... — Flickr has the hiccups. We're looking into the problem right now." 4 out of 5 times. Everything works perfectly when the app runs locally.

      Spinning to get an answer isn't a huge problem really, other than sometimes 30 request in a row do fail. I've worked around that for now, but it seems odd. Others have a bigger issue with this btw based on the thread above.

      Anyways, any feedback is welcome.

      Alex

    • cjmartin
      Message 2 of 8 , May 30 4:48 PM
        Hi Alex,

        We're trying to get to the bottom of this, and have a quick question. Are you deploying Python on AppEngine? If so, are you using this library? https://github.com/michaelhelmick/python-flickr/blob/master/flickr.py

        We've been seeing similar errors with this library in other places, we think something might be going wrong with httplib2.

        Thanks for the report.
        Chris

      • collegegarth
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 4, 2014
          Hi guys,

          I'm also experiencing this problem (details also on the help forum thread), using Python on AppEngine with this library: https://github.com/alexis-mignon/python-flickr-api.

          Noticing the failure returns a 500-ish HTML page, not a JSON response.

          Thanks,
        • alex.snaps
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 4, 2014
            I'm deploying a Java app. It uses flickr4java, but even opening an URL gives me same result, i.e. fails 4 out of 5 times...
          • cjmartin
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 5, 2014
              Hi all,If possible, could you check the headers that are being set on your request to Flickr? This sounds like an issue we've seen when the content-length header is incorrect or missing.We're investigating more on our side, but explicitly setting the content-length header if you can should solve the issue.Thanks, Chris
            • collegegarth
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 6, 2014
                With Python apps the standard urllib/urllib2/httplib libraries use App Engine's own urlfetch, which sets (or strips then re-sets) a bunch of headers, including content-length: https://developers.google.com/appengine/docs/python/urlfetch/?csw=1#Python_Request_headers

                ..which is calculated by App Engine, so should be present and correct - and also can't be modified by our code.

                Thanks,
              • alex.snaps
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 13, 2014
                  Looks like there has been some improvement, but it ain't quite fixed yet. I get around 40% success rate right for a couple of days... Anything new?
                • alex.snaps
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 13, 2014
                    Actually just got a 100% success rate on a 40 requests or so... looks like this actually maybe solved!
                    Thanks guys!