Re: [yui3] rich text editor based on YUI3

  • Robert Koberg
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 8, 2009
      On Jun 8, 2009, at 9:39 PM, Alexander Kaupp aka tanila wrote:

      > Hello again,
      >
      > I updated the editor a little bit. Providing a download-link with the
      > full source ( http://tanila.de/testing/ ) . The licence is GPL

      why? do you actually think your code is valuable? Do you want to
      exclude people who require a realistic license?

      whatev...

      > and i
      > hope to get a little advice to make my js-coding better.
      >
      > kind regards
      > alex
      >
      > Am Samstag, den 06.06.2009, 20:00 +0200 schrieb Alexander Kaupp aka
      > tanila:
      > >

      > > hello all,
      > >
      > > i created an RTE with YUI3: http://tanila.de/testing/
      > >
      > > what do you think?
      > >
      > > kind regards
      > > alex

    • Eric Miraglia
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 8, 2009
        Alex,

        GPL is a problematic license for many developers and will restrict your audience -- have you considered a more liberal license like BSD?

        -Eric

        full source ( http://tanila. de/testing/ ) . The licence is GPL and i
        hope to get a little advice to make my js-coding better.

        kind regards
        alex

        Am Samstag, den 06.06.2009, 20:00 +0200 schrieb Alexander Kaupp aka
        tanila:

        > hello all,
        >
        > i created an RTE with YUI3: http://tanila. de/testing/
        >
        > what do you think?
        >
        > kind regards
        > alex

      • Alexander Kaupp aka tanila
        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 8, 2009
          Hmm i did not realize that this is so important. But i dont want to
          restrict anyone. so i switch to BSD if this is the better choice...

          thanks for the information
          alex

          Am Montag, den 08.06.2009, 20:02 -0700 schrieb Eric Miraglia:

          > Alex,
          >

          > GPL is a problematic license for many developers and will restrict
          > your audience -- have you considered a more liberal license like BSD?
          >

          > -Eric
          >

          > On Jun 8, 2009, at 6:39 PM, Alexander Kaupp aka tanila wrote:
          >
          > > Hello again,
          > >
          > > I updated the editor a little bit. Providing a download-link with
          > > the
          > > full source ( http://tanila.de/testing/ ) . The licence is GPL and i
          > > hope to get a little advice to make my js-coding better.
          > >
          > > kind regards
          > > alex
          > >
          > > Am Samstag, den 06.06.2009, 20:00 +0200 schrieb Alexander Kaupp aka
          > > tanila:
          > > >

          > > > hello all,
          > > >
          > > > i created an RTE with YUI3: http://tanila.de/testing/
          > > >
          > > > what do you think?
          > > >
          > > > kind regards
          > > > alex

        • Eric Miraglia
          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 9, 2009
            Alex,

            The difference between GPL and BSD is the difference between "copyleft" and "copyright", respectively -- which is all the difference in the world for people who are working on commercial applications.

            This article is a helpful resource on the subject:

            -Eric

            On Jun 8, 2009, at 11:57 PM, Alexander Kaupp aka tanila wrote:

            Hmm i did not realize that this is so important. But i dont want to
            restrict anyone. so i switch to BSD if this is the better choice...

            thanks for the information
            alex

            Am Montag, den 08.06.2009, 20:02 -0700 schrieb Eric Miraglia:

            > Alex,
            >

            > GPL is a problematic license for many developers and will restrict
            > your audience -- have you considered a more liberal license like BSD?
            >

            > -Eric
            >

            > On Jun 8, 2009, at 6:39 PM, Alexander Kaupp aka tanila wrote:
            >
            > > Hello again,
            > >
            > > I updated the editor a little bit. Providing a download-link with
            > > the
            > > full source ( http://tanila. de/testing/ ) . The licence is GPL and i
            > > hope to get a little advice to make my js-coding better.
            > >
            > > kind regards
            > > alex
            > >
            > > Am Samstag, den 06.06.2009, 20:00 +0200 schrieb Alexander Kaupp aka
            > > tanila:
            > > >

            > > > hello all,
            > > >
            > > > i created an RTE with YUI3: http://tanila. de/testing/
            > > >
            > > > what do you think?
            > > >
            > > > kind regards
            > > > alex

          • Alexander Kaupp aka tanila
            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 9, 2009
              Hi Eric,

              thanks again. After comparing GPL and BSD.

              So the differences are:
              BSD has no copyleft. This means that another author who made changes to
              the original software does not have to publish his version of the
              modified Version. And he does not have to put his version under the same
              licence.

              And I think this is ok for the editor. So now everyone can do with it
              whatever they want. And I hope I understand everything right now :)

              greetings
              alex