Future of YUI

  • Michal Frackowiak
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 7, 2008
      Hi,

      many of us literally depend on YUI, some of us (like our company) is
      waiting for YUI 3 to use it for our products. Yahoo! has brilliant
      product, YUI and BrowserPlus are just 2 examples. But at the same time
      the recent situation of Yahoo! looks very unstable (Jerry Yang, failed
      deal with Google, stock down etc.). Many people guess that Yahoo could
      change its strategy, merge with another company (get acquired by MS)?

      I am far from making any blind guesses myself or trying to make
      conclusions, I am developer, not an analyst, but the overal picture is
      not pink. So far Yahoo had great attitude toward developers, but most
      of my concerns are about the future of YUI and YUI 3 in particular
      (since it is not even a beta).

      I know it might be difficult to comment on the situation, but
      please?... This would make us feel at least a bit safer.

      Thanks,

      Michal

      ---------------
      Michal Frackowiak
      COO of Wikidot Inc.
      http://michalfrackowiak.com
    • Eric Miraglia
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 7, 2008
        Michal,

        Thanks for the question.

        This subject came up in the broader YUI forum, and I'd refer you to this message for my response --

        As we noted in our public presentation on YUI 3 recently (http://video.yahoo.com/watch/3711767/10207432 ), YUI 3 underpins the new version of the Yahoo home page (http://www.techcrunch.com/2008/09/17/yahoos-all-new-home-page-a-mix-of-old-and-new/ ) and will be at the heart of other major Yahoo efforts as we get further down the road.  So, our commitment to YUI 3 is, shall we say, non-trivial.

        Beyond these things, there's little I can say to allay your concerns.  Please read the message linked above and let us know if you have further questions on this front.

        Regards,
        Eric

        On Nov 7, 2008, at 12:06 AM, Michal Frackowiak wrote:

[...]

        ------------ ---
        Michal Frackowiak
        COO of Wikidot Inc.
        http://michalfracko wiak.com

      • Michal Frackowiak
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 7, 2008
          Eric,

          thanks for your answer. Indeed (almost immediately) after posting the
          message I realized this might not be the best group - YUI (general)
          would be better and I indeed missed the linked discussion.
          In fact every explanation and fact related to the situation is useful
          - especially when we need to convince our partners NOT to use ExtJS,
          JQuery, Dojo or other JS libs.

          I really wish you good luck and we here all admire your work. One
          thing we still miss (and which is planned, I know) is better structure
          for the community (contributions, wiki?). I believe YUI has strong
          momentum and a large user base to keep it alive no-matter-what.

          Just my $0.02. Thanks!

          Michal