Re: [YugoUnitedGVOwners] Re: Disc brakes in the rear

  • Jim Muldoon
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 6, 2011
      I am trying to get back on the club E-mail list and cannot figure out how do it . Some how I got disconnected and don't know how to connected again. Jim Muldoon-jimmyugo

      From: viotti600 <fiat850@...>
      Subject: [YugoUnitedGVOwners] Re: Disc brakes in the rear
      To: yugounitedgvowners2@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Tuesday, August 30, 2011, 11:28 AM

      Fiat 124 Spiders had rear disc brakes as OEM standard equipment. Unless you mean Fiat 850 Spider?

      For the Yugo, the conversion to rear disc brakes is the same as for the Fiat 128:

      http://www.mirafiori.com/~courtney/128/tech/brakes/128dbc.html

      -JS.

    • yugounitedgvowners2-owner@yahoogroups.com
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 6, 2011
        I checked the settings and you are set for individual emails. Things have been quiet over the weekend, holiday travels and such I suppose. Things should pick up, if you still arent getting messages in a few days let me know and I'll see what else we can try.
        Ralph

      • daveyugo@aol.com
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 6, 2011
          All is quiet on the YUGO front

          In a message dated 9/6/2011 2:36:14 P.M. US Mountain Standard Time, yugounitedgvowners2-owner@yahoogroups.com writes:

          I checked the settings and you are set for individual emails. Things have been quiet over the weekend, holiday travels and such I suppose. Things should pick up, if you still arent getting messages in a few days let me know and I'll see what else we can try.
          Ralph

          --- In yugounitedgvowners2@yahoogroups.com, Jim Muldoon <revhoracemcnasty@...> wrote:

          > I am trying to get back on the club E-mail list and cannot figure out how do it . Some how I got disconnected and don't know how to connected again. Jim Muldoon-jimmyugo
          >

          > ________________________________

        • Miodrag Zubic
          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 7, 2011
            The number of messages I am getting is way less than it used to be. I was wondering if message delivery was hickuping. Is it just me or did the traffic slow down for everyone?

            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 7, 2011
              The group had 239 posts in July and dropped to 136 in August, so it was just a few slow weeks with members having other summer activities. Some of the smaller groups have only a fraction of that, so rest assured you are with the largest group. Posts will vary month to month, so I don't think its your email.

              --- In yugounitedgvowners2@yahoogroups.com, Miodrag Zubic <miozub@...> wrote:

              > The number of messages I am getting is way less than it used to be. I was wondering if message delivery was hickuping. Is it just me or did the traffic slow down for everyone?
              >

              > >________________________________

            • Jeff Fahringer
              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 8, 2011
                Thanks Bill , ggood to know! I tend to notice it when I have the wheel off, so the lug nuts were not something I would think of.
                Jeff F

                --- In yugounitedgvowners2@yahoogroups.com, Bill Schulz <billschul_z@...> wrote:

                > Jeff-
                >
                > I've solved the drum out-of-round problem in a number of cars by very carefully tightening using the approved "X" pattern in at least two passes. I don't use a torque wrench but have an extension (piece of conduit) on my Craftsman 1/2 inch ratchet wrench. I figure I'm exerting about 100 ft lbs torque.
                >

                > I've found that stress-warped discs can also be straightened by loosening and re-torquing. The stress gets relieved with a few stops from highway speeds... like when the light turns amber and you're at the go/no go point while doing 55-60. Works on vented discs, too, as I've done this to both my former Voyager and the soon-to-be former Saturn. Tire shops are notorious for botching the job and even I (imagine that!) have been known to get an imbalance in tightening on the occasion of my routine 5K mile tire inspection/back-of-wheel cleaning/rotation.
                >

                > wjs... Leesburg, FL

              • jseabolt2002
                Message 7 of 15 , Sep 13, 2011
                  --- In yugounitedgvowners2@yahoogroups.com, "dtohill" <dtohill@...> wrote:

                  > I have been thinking about getting a Yugo for a while now. I have owned a Fiat X1/9 for a long time now and figured switching over to a Yugo wouldn't be that hard. I have an extra 1500cc engine and would love to put in a Yugo. Another thing I want to do is put disc brakes in the rear. (I've seen it done to a Fiat Spider). Is It possible for a Yugo?

                  The 1500 is the way to go. As far as adding discs to the rear.

                  Although my Yugo weighs less than my Spider, I can't say the braking is any worse.

                  The only advantage of discs over drums is discs dissipate heat better and don't get "wet" if you drive through a flood. Like I did one time in my Jeep, which reduced the braking in half. Otherwise drums stop just as well if not better than discs.

                  I've got a 68 Ford with four wheel manual drum brakes that will stop on a dime. The only bad thing is the fronts need adjusting about every 1000 miles or the car pulls under hard braking. Or the self adjusters are not working properly. Also if you get water up into the drums, the car won't stop.