Re: [YugoUnitedGVOwners] my yugo gv build. figured id share with you guys

    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 2, 2011
      We have a fabrication guy at our shop, whom is fantastic in his work. He did a new design our K20/X1/9 swap, and his quality of work is some of the best I've ever seen.
      At a later date I'm going to have him build a set of headers for my Yugo project, based off a simulator program. The goal a very streetable 16 sec 1/4 mile car. Faster can be done, but want to keep it easy to drive and maintain.
      Current Yugo 1/4 mile record is 14.70s @ 90MPH, by "Dave Yugo", unbelievably a 1300 based engine.

      Have several simulator programs on the way, one happens to be a Drag race sim, which works on small cars. I'm now doing the company X1/9 road race engine builds, based on prior specs, and need to learn more so I can get them faster. (Driver finished 2nd on Sat. and Sun., at a SCCA Double National at Mid-Ohio couple weeks ago)
      In my "Old Days", I built things and we went racing. I was lucky, car always fast, but those days are gone now. PC simulators are "it".
      A Drag race sim is a fun thing for my use.

      Art Hughes  Columbus, Ohio  USA

       Visit   www.wvaanne.com   Art's List of Family Connections, WV Rt  87

      From: Art Hughes <pro4art@...>
      Sender: yugounitedgvowners2@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2011 18:23:30 -0700 (PDT)
      To: <yugounitedgvowners2@yahoogroups.com>
      ReplyTo: yugounitedgvowners2@yahoogroups.com

      To each his own, I guess. Once you start cutting out frame rails, you have to design a way to reinforce the chassis, which is a lot of fab work, and if not done correctly makes for a shaky car.
      Making a rear drive Yugo will require huge amounts of fab work, and I'm sure a full subframe.

      Being more of a purist, a 1500cc Fiat X1/9 engine is nearly a straight bolt in, and easy to get 150+Hp with conventional mods. Nothing needs cut/redesigned as it's a version of the Yugo/Fiat engine that is larger inside.
      I'm going to be installing a 1600CC stroker kit into a late X1/9, starting next week, and our shop is finishing a  Honda/Acura K20 200HP stock, with 6 speed trans, into an X.

      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 3, 2011
        I used to race big block Chryslers in the 80s-90s. Got into motorcycles because I hates a car you put on a trailer raced saturday then stared at all week. The motorcycles were boring and my friend brought over a 91 Civic he was hopping up. I laughed at him until he told me they were reprogramming the computers. Being a dealership mechanic at the time I knew what the potential would be. I built two 91s with the D motors then a 92 with the B18c5.

        That Civic with the all stock B motor went low 14s and got 38mpg driven normally.
        92 Civic- 2500lbs- Yugo-1800.
        B18-200hp- K20 from Civic Si-200hp.

        So be ready. LOL. My math says 13s and 100% daily gas sipping driver. The V-Tech makes it a 140 horse gas sipper and a 200 horse race car.

        And we built ours before Fast and the Furious came out. Now there's as many performance parts for Honda as Chevy.

        Your problem will be tires. I'm making bubbled fiberglass fenders for mine so it will look stockish but more muscular. That will allow a 235/50 15 tire. The rear quarter will get the same treatment to keep it in proportion and handling won't suffer. And always with the front drive you can't modify the suspension for off the line traction so tire and riding the clutch a bit are the only way to get these cars moving.

        I was going to do a B or K swap but it was easier and cheaper to keep a streetable SRT motor than Turbing the Honda Motor. So I did all the measurements. The core support will need modified so you can move the radiator underneath it. Once that's done to have the same depth as Civic. The width however is a couple inches narrower but that just fabricating motor mounts.

        The bottom of the firewall needed modified for exhaust clearance but your custom headers should solve that. I wanted to use all production mechanicals so I could just go to the parts store so I didn't spend much time on that. The only thing left from my Yugo is the Roof, Upper quarters and Glass so I can put the floor where I want it. You cannot increase the tunnel size towards the driver or there is no room for pedals. The guy who's doing the other swap is in the same boat. Lol. I am dying to see these cars. I'm in Cleveland so when your done its not too far. I really want to see it. Mine will debut next May.

        I stumbled on to Daves site researching mine and he's got some cool cars. I'm really impressed with his numbers on an all motor car. Especially since he's probably had to machine all of his own parts. I'm getting old and lazy now. LOL. I've built and raced cars since I was 16 and was a dealer mechanic for 10 so I'm a bit burned out. I want all my work in the build so I have little maintenance after. LOL. If it breaks I want to just call the Chrysler dealer or Autozone for parts.

        I won't post photos of this one here because there are too many purists. I'm from Slovenija and go back a few times a year so Zastavas aren't rare to me. I understand the purists because I hate to see people do things like put small block Chevies in 32 Fords. LOL I even ran the heavier Dana rear ends in my cars because I refused to use the Ford 9" in mine. Maybe Ill email you some pictures though so you can see what we did. Your build is much more difficult though because I literally copied a neon. Narrowed it 6 inches and shortened it 34 inches the just set the body on it.

        I also understand the purists because in all my searches here I only found 4. Its easier to find Hemi Cudas. One was too much money. One was in good condition and I didn't want to cut (or need because I only needed the upper half of the car).

        But when these cars are done I really want to see them. I love seeing how people figured out how to do things. That's another reason I loved the import scene before Fast and Furious. It was like the 1960s drag scene. You couldn't just go to Summit and buy what you wanted. Each mechanic had to innovate. LOL You can't buy Yugo swap parts so innovation is key.

        Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 3, 2011
          And more...LOL Some things to think about on these swaps for everyone.
          Rollcages. You are supplying more than double the horsepower to the cars. The cages strengthen the body so you don't break windshields or bend frames.

          Also and I'm not insulting driving ability but you can wreck them. You are putting anothe 100 lbs or more on the front of the car and with a 76" wheel base the can easily get out of hand as the weight of the motor in the front will want to push the car. Curves the motor will want to continues straight through and I even noticed it on my 92 Civic B swap. That's twice as much car as Yugo. Hydroplaning the front end will want to stop and the back will want to slide around the front.

          Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

        • yugounitedgvowners2-owner@yahoogroups.com
          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 3, 2011
            Sounds like a really interesting project. I'm usually one of those "purists" myself about keeping a car original, but in a case like this it sounds like you saved a Yugo from the crusher, and I applaud you for that! Please keep us updated with pictures as the project moves along. You might want to put your photos in an album on the group so everybody can find them easily. Happy Fourth!

            Message 5 of 18 , Jul 3, 2011
              When I left the dealer I opened my own shop. We had a rule its never junk its a new race car. If its not quite junk its restorable . LOL.

              If I see someone cut a Hemi car into a racecar I go ballistic too. So I can understand the purists who will cringe to see one cut up.

              Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

              From: yugounitedgvowners2-owner@yahoogroups.com
              Sender: yugounitedgvowners2@yahoogroups.com
              Date: Sun, 03 Jul 2011 16:25:23 -0000
              To: <yugounitedgvowners2@yahoogroups.com>
              ReplyTo: yugounitedgvowners2@yahoogroups.com

              Sounds like a really interesting project. I'm usually one of those "purists" myself about keeping a car original, but in a case like this it sounds like you saved a Yugo from the crusher, and I applaud you for that! Please keep us updated with pictures as the project moves along. You might want to put your photos in an album on the group so everybody can find them easily. Happy Fourth!

              --- In yugounitedgvowners2@yahoogroups.com, batcivic01@... wrote:

              > And more...LOL! Some things to think about on these swaps for everyone.
              > Rollcages. You are supplying more than double the horsepower to the cars. The cages strengthen the body so you don't break windshields or bend frames.
              >
              > Also and I'm not insulting driving ability but you can wreck them. You are putting anothe 100 lbs or more on the front of the car and with a 76" wheel base the can easily get out of hand as the weight of the motor in the front will want to push the car. Curves the motor will want to continues straight through and I even noticed it on my 92 Civic B swap. That's twice as much car as Yugo. Hydroplaning the front end will want to stop and the back will want to slide around the front.
              > Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

            • jesse nordlander
              Message 6 of 18 , Jul 14, 2011
                totally would have been 1 less yugo in the world, but who knows, still might be wheres the update. my toyota 4age swap yugo is sitting idle for a while until i can find a good running supercharged one.  this guy dosnt seem to dedicated about it, i mean he was willing to up and sell the motor at the first 100 that came for it
                From: Bill Schulz <billschul_z@...>
                Sender: yugounitedgvowners2@yahoogroups.com
                Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2011 08:06:50 -0700 (PDT)
                To: <yugounitedgvowners2@yahoogroups.com>
                ReplyTo: yugounitedgvowners2@yahoogroups.com

                It's NOT a Yugo any more. Why not just call it a "Slav-jacketed Nippon Wolf"  and be honest about it?

                Would you take an early ladder-frame Ferrari-- say a 250GT-- put a Beetle shell on it and call it a Volkswagen? It's no longer either a Ferrari or a VW, it's simply a bastard, much like the microcar guy who put Italian Alfa drivetrain in an old German Goliath Kombi.

                Yeah, I know, it's "your" car and "your" dough. But if you want a rice-burner, call it what it is. To my thinking, this is just the waste of another perfectly good Yugo.

                I quit the FIAT 850 group because of the fools who wanted Spiders but with VW,/Porsche/Toyota/etc. powertrains because it wasn't fast enough. The 850 Spider was a Giuggaro-designed body on a lowly utility sedan pan with a few tweaks to the engine and brakes. Abarth and others used it as a base for building really competitive road and track machines... but they never put, for example, an Audi engine in the FIAT shell. Maybe a DOHC 124 engine, but at least it was still all FIAT.

                There are some guys here who have done fantastic things with Yugos while keeping them "pure" by working with Yogo/FIAT bits and pieces. Not my thing, but what the hell, at least they kept the bloodline. Why not get a Lancia Beta 2.0 DOHC set-up and drop it into the Yugo shell? That I would applaund.

                Sorry, but bronchitis has laid me low for a couple of weeks now and I'm feeling just a tad on the far side of "cranky."  My bad.

                wjs... Leesburg, FL