Popular Mechanics artical to complain about

  • yugophile
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 1, 2011
      I've been driving a yugo since 1988 and this artical reports problems that are all new to me.
      It states : "
      1985 Yugo There was practically nothing right about the poor Yugo, save that it rekindled the idea that a small, entrepreneurial carmaker could succeed. What was wrong with the Yugo's interior? It would rattle to pieces, literally, while driving. Electrical failings also caused shortages, or fires, to break out in the cockpit. At least that kept the drivers warm, as the Yugo was also prone to having its heater fail."
      whole artical - http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/news/vintage-speed/13-most-dangerous-car-interiors-in-history#fbIndex1

      We should all call them on this, though I don't see a "comments" section. Jeff F
    • Sykes1
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 2, 2011
        What BULL   I still get many negative comments (even from professionals) that are so not true at all.  I don't even bother to respond any more.

      • batcivic01@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 2, 2011
          LOL I wonder what these same people say about the Fiat 127.

          Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

          From: Sykes1 <sykes1@...>
          Sender: yugounitedgvowners2@yahoogroups.com
          Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2011 19:45:49 +0000 (UTC)
          To: <yugounitedgvowners2@yahoogroups.com>
          ReplyTo: yugounitedgvowners2@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 12, 2011
            You can send a letter to the editor at:

            http://www.popularmechanics.com/about/contact-us

            You can charitably call the interior of a Yugo "Spartan" or "minimalist", but there's nothing there to rattle apart!

            He has a very minor point in that if you use any sort of XL or XV brighter headlights than the original 35W standard low beams, you run the risk of melting the headlight switch or the main red power feed in the steering column, especially if you use them during daylight.

            But to complain about the heater core is absurd. The heater control valve may seize after 20 years, the body and frame may rot from road salt, but my brother's 86 Yugo throws out heat to beat the band even on the coldest New England winter days.

            Bob

            --- In yugounitedgvowners2@yahoogroups.com, "yugophile" <joffrey1@...> wrote:

            > I've been driving a yugo since 1988 and this artical reports problems that are all new to me.
            > It states : "
            > 1985 Yugo There was practically nothing right about the poor Yugo, save that it rekindled the idea that a small, entrepreneurial carmaker could succeed. What was wrong with the Yugo's interior? It would rattle to pieces, literally, while driving. Electrical failings also caused shortages, or fires, to break out in the cockpit. At least that kept the drivers warm, as the Yugo was also prone to having its heater fail."
            > whole artical - http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/news/vintage-speed/13-most-dangerous-car-interiors-in-history#fbIndex1
            >
            > We should all call them on this, though I don't see a "comments" section. Jeff F

          • Jeff Fahringer
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 13, 2011
              I say the article did not get anything even partially  right.  Did you ever try to start a fire with a 12 volt circuit protected by a 8 amp  fuse?   Yeah the low beam contact in the high beam/ low beam switch may fail after years of use with a relay only on the high beams, but I have never heard of that starting a fire, has any one?  It just stops working. Speaking o which,  next time you lose your low beams remember that you can switch the wires at the fuse box to the relay protected  hi beam circuit.  No tools needed.        The article couldn't even get the one positive thing it stated right, calling a large (Yugoslavia's largest?) communist state run company making car under license from fiat a   “small entrepreneur”!
              Jeff F