Success, Art Hughes

    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 1 6:49 PM
      Art-

      Sorry it took so long to reply to your recommendations on finding the cause of a dead temp gauge. In the twenty-one years I've had this car (bought as a new '89 leftover in February, '90) it has never run hot so I wasn't concerned. My wife, unfortunately the car's principal operator (Damn! I wish I could get it back from her!), never looks at anything other than the speedo and fuel gauge anyway...

      Today I dug out the Yugo Training Manual and Yugo Shop Manual, obtained from Paul Davis, the Yugo mechanic at Stevens Chevrolet/Yugo in Granby, CT, , along with all his special tools,when management told him he couldn't work on Yugos any more because of the unavailability of spares.

      As you suggested, I checked the lead at the sending unit with the ignition ON and found it dead. Then I pulled the instrument cluster and checked the wire from the sender to the C23 connector at the instrument pod and there was continuity. Then I checked out the gauge and it had continuity. I knew that the rest of the gauges and lamps worked so there was juice at the pod.

      There was no obvious corrosion so no cleaning up to do. I just put a little di-electric grease on the eight blades in C23 and the six in C22 connectors and temporarily buttoned it up. Ignition on and there's juice at the sender.

      Hoo-AH!

      I felt so good after I got everything back snug and tidy that I broke out the Turtle Was Formula 2001 wax and gave the baby a shine up! Again, thank you, Art.

      wjs... Leesburg, FL

    • DANIEL BOGUSE
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 2 12:49 AM

        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 7 7:01 AM
          Is Paul Davis still around?  I live about twenty minuts from Granby and I really, really, really want to restore my Yugo.  The other option is to take it to Danny at Fiat Fun if he's still around in a few years.  Maybe the new 500 will bring him more business.

          Joseph

          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 7 3:57 PM
            PeopleFinder shows Paul still in the Granby area. We used to drive from Cornwall to Granby just to have his dad, Forrest Davis, DVM, treat our vizslas hounds. He was the gentlest, most animal-loving person I ever met. A great person person, too. Even offered his cabin in the Adirondacks to a couple of newby dog owners to use whenever we wanted.

            There's a Paul F on Woodcliff Drive in Granby and a Paul W. on Old Farms Rd. in Simsbury.

            You're located in?

            wjs... Leesburg, FL