Vapor separator sludge?

  • ForrestB
    Message 1 of 23 , Feb 1, 2011
      Hi everyone,

      The hose that goes in to the left side of my air filter is pumping out sludge. I just noticed it, it has filled the little cotton filter and it has left a 1/2 inch deep puddle around the air filter. It's a whitish-yellowish creamy sludge that tastes mostly like oil (yeah, I tasted it). I looked on Jay's parts diagrams and have figured out that it is the vapor outlet for the "vapor separator" mounted at the front of the engine. I've never heard of that before - does it sometimes go by a different name? Any ideas on why it is pumping out so much of this sludge and how I can stop it?
    • jesse nordlander
      Message 2 of 23 , Feb 2, 2011
        sounds like u have a possible head gasket problem, check the oil and under the oil cap for milkshake,  also on first start up does it run funny for a few seconds. i had an intake manifold leak water into the ports before. either way its not that big of a deal, u can have the head off, valves lapped. and running in about 4-5 hours tops. and u might as well get the full gasket set in case u need one for the wp, oil pan, front main.

        Message 3 of 23 , Feb 2, 2011
          That's the idle bypass for the crankcase breather. The only way you can eliminate the crud is to drive the car on longer runs and/or re-ring the engine. It's just a natural product of water vapor (gasoline combustion by-product there 'cause of blow-by of the compression rings) and oil vapors.

          wjs... Leesburg, FL
          FIATs since 1958-- hopin' to live long enough to get a New 500!

          Message 4 of 23 , Feb 2, 2011
            Thanks everyone. I too suspecting a failing headgasket. It does run kind of funny for a few seconds at first, and there has been some coolant loss. Does anyone have a good resource for a how-to on removing the head to change the gasket? Any special tools needed?
          • jesse nordlander
            Message 5 of 23 , Feb 2, 2011
              lol, its really a cake job, they were right in the 1986 road and track about it being a proving ground for shade tree mechanics. u will need a basic set of wrenches and sockets, a torque wrench, u can use the cheapy old school style at sears for 20 bux. screwdrivers etc. im sure someone on here could email the section u need from the manual.

              Message 6 of 23 , Feb 2, 2011
                The whitish sludge is a combination of oil vapors, and moisture from inside the engine. Doesn't signify any problems, usually. Several different causes.

                (1) Too many short mileage drives in cold weather. If the oil never gets fully warmed, normal moisture will build up, and then be expelled thru the crankcase vent, as it should. Takes about 5 freeway miles to get the oil close to fully warm when you drive.

                (2) Engine never gets proper temp soon enough, due to lazy thermostat. On cold start up (30 degrees and below), after 1 or 2 minutes of slightly above idle time, close to 2 miles street driving should get gauge at normal.

                (3) Low engine temp. Assuming gauge and temp sender are good, engine temp must be at the middle of the gauge. 3/4 of the way to normal is too cold.

                (4) Worn piston rings. Makes to much crankcase pressure.

                (5) Missing vapor separator in hose to air filter. When the hose to the air cleaner cracks, and leaks oil, lots of people throw them away, not knowing there is a separator in the hose. Looks like a "beehive" shaped part, which is lots of wire wound around, but to me looks like a Christmas Tree. Should show on a parts page for the crankcase vent hose. You could substitute with part of a coiled flat wire scrub pad, but correct part is better. It causes oil and vapors that go up the hose, to make the oil drop out and return to crankcase.

                (6) If all above good, minor intake manifold coolant leak, that will get worse.

                Clean up mess. Run engine at a little over idle speed for 45 minutes, to get oil hot. Change oil and filter. Take out on freeway and use the gas pedal a little harder.

                Art Hughes  Columbus, Ohio  USA

                 Visit   www.wvaanne.com   Art's List of Family Connections, WV Rt  87

                Message 7 of 23 , Feb 2, 2011
                  Start car as normal. Push gas down to the floor, let off, clutch in, start engine without touching the gas pedal.
                   Let it fast idle on the choke, and don't use the gas pedal.
                  If it sounds like it's missing, and in 10-20 seconds it then runs smooth, replace the intake gaskets first. Then see if coolant loss stops over the next few days.

                  Be sure to bleed the air out of the cooling system, as it's common to have to top up coolant for the next 2-3 days. ALWAYS engine cold. Coolant has to be at bottom of cap, and the coolant res tank should be at 1/2 full. Never take off the cap to check coolant level if the engine is even just a little warm. You just look at the res bottle. If it's bled out properly, thats how you check it. Taking the cap off puts unwanted air in the little hose from radiator to res tank.

                  Message 8 of 23 , Feb 2, 2011
                    Forgot one point.

                    The intake studs have to have the extra thick washer on each of the 5 middle studs, but not the 2 end ones. If they are missing, or you lose them, the intake gasket will fail again soon. Use new lock washers.

                    NOTE: 2 regular washers do not make up 1 thick one.They must be the thick type.

                    Art Hughes  Columbus, Ohio  USA

                     Visit   www.wvaanne.com   Art's List of Family Connections, WV Rt  87

                    Thanks everyone. I too suspecting a failing headgasket. It does run kind of funny for a few seconds at first, and there has been some coolant loss. Does anyone have a good resource for a how-to on removing the head to change the gasket? Any special tools needed?

                  • Forrest Bentham

                      Message 10 of 23 , Feb 5, 2011
                        The three ports are 1) the big one for the hose from crankcase, 2) the big one into air cleaner body, and 3) itty-bitty one on the rear side to another spot on the underside of the air cleaner body on the opposite (driver's) side. That's presumably where the condensed/separated vapors get sucked to on the INSIDE of the air filter so it doesn't get gunked up.

                        At least that's the way my '89's hooked up.

                        Message 11 of 23 , Feb 13, 2011
                          Okay - I did the following:

                          Took apart that area and cleaned out all the sludge. There was indeed no 'beehive' unit in the hose, so I put some steel wool in there for now. Did an oil change and made sure that I've always been driving it in long enough chunks to warm up fully. The temperature is usually perfect - most of the time it sits right at 1/2-way mark and warms up in a correct amount of time.

                          Drove around for a week and then I go to inspect. This time, what I have is a little bit of "milkshake" (not as much) but a lot of water/condensation. A puddle of it in the air filter, getting things all wet. Does this point once again to the head gasket? I'm getting a little nervous about depending on it until I sort this out!

                          Message 12 of 23 , Feb 14, 2011
                            Hi, on the little black box on the sir filter there are 3 outlets.

                            1. the hose coming up from the vapor separator on the front of the engine.

                            2. The tube to the inside of the air cleaner with the small filter in it.

                            3. The small line that runs down to the intake manifold in front and under the carb.

                            This line is to evacuate the vapor from the black box into the manifold so it will burn off with combustion.

                            The line from the box is made of 5 parts.

                             1. At the box a small hose that connects the box to a plastic pipe that runs down to the front of the manifold.

                             2. Next is another connector hose that connects to a plastic elbow. This is a VERY SPECIAL elbow.

                             3. The ELBOW
                               Inside of this elbow is a venturi that CONTROLS the amount of AIR that goes into the manifold.

                               Many times you will find that this WHOLE system has been taken off or replaced with just a hose from the black box to the manifold. If this is just a hose and dose NOT have the plastic elbow with the venturi in it the car will NOT idle correctly because there is to much air going into the manifold.

                              4. Another hose to connect to the STEEL elbow that goes into the manifold.

                              5. This STEEL elbow will over time become blocked with carbon and there will be no vacuum through the system and the vapors from the engine will not go through and will fill the air cleaner.

                            You MUST run a wire and cleaner through it to be sure it is COMPLETELY open.

                            I would check ALL of this before I took the head off.

                            DaveYugo

                            Message 13 of 23 , Feb 14, 2011
                              Forrest
                              Are you still having rough running the first 15-25 seconds of a cold start?
                              Do you have coolant loss? How much do you have to add?
                              And, where and how are you adding coolant, 50/50 mix?
                              BTW, what year is your car? I don't remember.

                              If you do have a intake gasket leak, it will continue to have excess moisture in the engine oil. As per Dave Beton, be sure you have available vacuum.

                              Message 14 of 23 , Feb 14, 2011
                                Could be. Could also be just an excessive amount of ring blow-by. However, at this time of the year-- where are you, by the way?-- it takes really loooong chunks of driving to boil off all the condensation.

                                At one time in my history, I was told never to try to adjust a carburetor until the vehicle had been driven 5/50, that is five miles at fifty MPH. That's a bunch of driving just to get the idle circuit properly adjusted.

                                Today's cars have fast t'stats in order to meet the emissions requirements and just because the coolant is up in temp doesn't mean that the lower engine is hot enough to force the water out of the still-cool oil. And if the block is cold, the water component of the combustion process which gets past the rings-- even new cars have some blow-by-- will condense on the relatively cool crankcase walls so it's nearly impossible to eliminate.

                                If the car is running well and has reasonable compression (have you checked?), I wouldn't concern myself with some "milkshake."

                                But then, that's just me. Others may/probably feel otherwise.

                                wjs... Leesburg, FL
                                FIATs since 1958-- hopin' to live long enough to get a New 500!

                                Thanks everyone. I too suspecting a failing headgasket. It does run kind of funny for a few seconds at first, and there has been some coolant loss. Does anyone have a good resource for a how-to on removing the head to change the gasket? Any special tools needed?

                              • r_bailin
                                Message 15 of 23 , Feb 14, 2011
                                  Re: the beehive/xmas tree "vapor separator"

                                  One of the few TSB's issued by Yugo eliminated the requirement for that "vapor separator". It's actually a flame arrestor, not a vapor separator, and I guess they felt it was pretty damn difficult to ignite the oil vapors coming off the crankcase, even if the PCV hose was disconnected at the air cleaner. The little black box hanging off the air cleaner is the actual vapor separator.

                                  Message 16 of 23 , Feb 15, 2011
                                    Hey, I got lots of hours on my brain box, so I can "Miss" one now and again!

                                    Yes you are correct.
                                    It will help stop mass migration of oil up the breather hose to the air cleaner, or at least slow it down, if you messed up and overfilled the oil level.

                                    Nothing more exciting than to redline your engine, if it's overfilled with oil, and experience the instant power loss and the landscape behind you disappear in a soild cloud of smoke, as 1/2 quart of oil goes down the carb. Scary for a few seconds.
                                    Road tested a Fiat with a performance complaint, many years ago, when I worked at a Fiat dealer, which had 2 quarts extra in it. Most impressive display of instant "smoke bomb" I ever saw.

                                    Message 17 of 23 , Feb 16, 2011
                                      I am not so much having rough running the first 15-20 seconds, but what I do have is that it always takes exactly 3 tries to start it. Pump gas. First try: won't start. Second try: won't start. Third try: starts fine. After the initial start is will always start fine. I've been monitoring coolant closely, not having any loss. (I thought i was, but have not had any changes in the last 2 weeks). Mine is a 1988 GL (Like a GV but for Canada).

                                      I'm going to clean that line like suggested and also try spraying some carb cleaner around the intake manifold to see if I can hear a change in idle.
                                    • Larry Claypool
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Feb 17, 2011

                                        Sounds like your choke is not closing all the way, which is why you have to make repeated attempts to start it.

                                         That won’t affect the moisture /vapor in the air cleaner, but is a separate issue.

                                        larry

                                        I am not so much having rough running the first 15-20 seconds, but what I do have is that it always takes exactly 3 tries to start it. Pump gas. First try: won't start. Second try: won't start. Third try: starts fine. After the initial start is will always start fine. I've been monitoring coolant closely, not having any loss. (I thought i was, but have not had any changes in the last 2 weeks). Mine is a 1988 GL (Like a GV but for Canada).

                                        I'm going to clean that line like suggested and also try spraying some carb cleaner around the intake manifold to see if I can hear a change in idle.

                                      • DANIEL BOGUSE
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Feb 17, 2011

                                          My 88 gvx starts the same way ,like the float bowl is draining down.I was thinking about putting an electric fuel pump to help prime the float bowl after sitting.

                                          Message 20 of 23 , Feb 17, 2011

                                            If the car needs repeated pumping of the gas to start a cold engine even if it was run the day before, the float bowl is not “draining down”- the problem is the choke is not closing all the way.  An electric pump will make the car start easier only if the bowl is actually empty (or nearly so), which will happen if the engine has not been started in a number of days. The electric pump will also be of use in preventing vapor lock, but only when it is properly installed back near the gas tank.

                                            Larry claypool

                                            Message 21 of 23 , Feb 17, 2011
                                              I changed the topic, as some emals are about hard starting, not "sludge".

                                              As Larry Claypool posted later, the low pressure electric fuel pump you would install on a Yugo, should be at the rear of the car, and is best mounted about level with the bottom of the tank.

                                              Use a NAPA pump, to get a no hassle warranty. They have small (about 1 inch, round) rubber mounts, with a stud on each end to mount the pump, so you don't have to listen to the loud clicking. You could make a mount out of light sheet metal to bolt to the body, drill holes for the rubber mounts, place the fuel pump on the other end of the mounts. You need a ground wire from that point, back to the other end of the mount.  Most of those pumps come with a mini filter, which you throw away. Get 2 fittings to screw into the pump, to slide on rubber FUEL LINE hose. Use a NAPA STEEL fuel filter in the line from the tank to pump. Get mini hose clamps. Make a new rubber hose to the line that goes to the front of the car.

                                              Find a source of power that comes on, and off, with the key, and has a fuse. Take the stock fuel pump off, and make a cover for the hole. If you leave the pump on, it will blow apart internally, dump your oil, and blow the engine. You also don't want the pump to work extra to pump fuel thru the stock pump, when it fails. Also, makes the electric pump fail sooner. Run the wire under the carpets next to the door. Where ever you drop the wire down to the pump, from under the trunk carpet, make sure it is well proteced, so it doesn't short out.

                                              Art Hughes  Columbus, Ohio  USA

                                              Sent: Wednesday, February 16, 2011 4:49 PM

                                              I am not so much having rough running the first 15-20 seconds, but what I do have is that it always takes exactly 3 tries to start it. Pump gas. First try: on't start. Second try: won't start. Third try: starts fine. After the initial start is will always start fine. I'm going to clean that line like suggested and also try spraying some carb cleaner around the intake manifold to see if I can hear a change in idle.

                                            • Sykes1
                                              Message 22 of 23 , Feb 18, 2011
                                                Hello Folks, Just want you to know that I still have rare and unusual Yugo Memorabilia that deserves a good home.  This reminder is really for the newer folks that I have noticed who have joined us over the past couple of months.  Also, the ex-Yugo Dealer friend of mine would like me to announce that he wants to find a good home for his very rare fully framed picture that hung in the Headquarters in Saddlebrook, NJ.  It is a photograph picture of a factory race Yugo in action taking a sharp curve of a track.  Its dimensions are ~about 3.5' by 3.5 ' (give or take a couple of inches).  I have the fully framed picture of the red Yugo in the foreground with the stallion running in the background as one of my pieces for sale also.  If interested in anything or for more listings of or details of, contact me directly at sykes1@...

                                              • Jim Muldoon
                                                Message 23 of 23 , Mar 10, 2011
                                                  Art, I am new at this, "being a YUGO owner". A 1988 YUGO GV, ,just turned 51000 miles.  I am getting a lot of oil in my carburetor air cleaner. Is this coming from my crankcase ventilation hose ?  Is there a filter that goes in the hose? The car seems to run fine. Every now and then a little puff of blue smoke, but, the car keeps moving along.  Any help or suggestions are very welcome, Jim Muldoon