Re: I need a bit of help, I need a 5 or 4 speed trans.

  • yugo88gvx
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 1, 2010
      Im glad you asked.
      Ill start off by letting everyone know I dont street race.
      This trans has at most 3 auto x events,7 drag racing pass and at the most 7k miles behind this eng. Im using 75-140 syn fluid in the trans.

      The problem I have had with the last 2 trans is that the dif pin comes out and splits the case open after it brakes the spedo drive.

      What do you think would cause the dif pin to come loose?

      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 1, 2010
        I'll reply to you Mon early evening. At work, we have 2 apart right now for rebuilds, so I'll look and see what could be a cause and a modification for you to do. I'd use Syn oil myself, and have always did so in my last 3 years of 10 years of round track racing. Pinto 2.0, 200HP, 8300-8500 rpm, stock trans, Quick change rear axle. Syn in everything, and never oil related failures. All unit temps went down, engine oil pressure very stable.
        Come to think of it, zero engine failures the last 3 years. Big thing was huge decrease in rear axle temp.
        Valvoline said I'd get 5-7 HP, just by changinf to Syn. So I did.

        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 1, 2010
          Hi
          i have a used 4 speed. $180.00.800 736 6410

          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 2, 2010
            Did some checking, and there is 3 ways the Diff pin is held in place.
            Either a locking bolt that screws thru the pin, a "roll pin" that is driven into a hole that locks the pin in place, or the most common, a plate held by 2 bolts on the ring gear that holds the pin in place.

            Did you take the units apart before you used them? The spider gears that the pin holds in place, you don't need to remove them, just use a light to inspect them. If you did remove them, if held in by a roll pin, the roll pin isn't any good to re-use. They loose their grip, and when used over, may "drift" out of place.
            The type lock that is a plate bolted to the ring gear, can only be installed so that the end on the plate engages the notch in the pin.

            If you didn't take them apart, and they are roll pin types, you have to assume they were worked on before you got them, and special attention wasn't paid to replacing the roll pin with new ones. For the bolt on bracket type, same possible problem, not installed properly.
            I'd look and see what types you had blow up, and if the locks are missing. Most autoparts stores would have a useable roll pin, or hardware stores. The bolt on ones are just a matter of engaging the notch in the pin.

            We'd surely like to know what happened. Meanwhile, for your use, if no road racing involved, a 4 speed would be fine, just lots of RPM in 4th on the highway.

            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 3, 2010
              Thanks for checking in to my trans problem so quickly!

              The first trans that slipped the diff pin out,had never had the diff
              disassembled. I got at least 6 problem free yeas out of it. So when the diff came loose I did not worry about the why. I had a very hard life. The second trans had 60k on it and still factory sealed when I took it a part and inspect for damage. I cant remove the trans till I have a replacement. So I cant tell you which diff stile it has. The trans be for this one I just trashed. Had no place to store it any longer. So I can check that one.

              This is what happens when I try not to be a back rat.