Bayless?

  • yugo1988gvx
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 18, 2010
      Did anybody go to the open house? I havent seen a catalog of theirs in several years, are they a good Yugo source these days?
    • Jonathan Ranney
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 18, 2010
        http://tinyurl.com/2bvzzem

        Matt has tons of Yugo stuff.  Not sure if it is all sorted yet.....

        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 18, 2010
          Midwest Bayless is the newer name. (changed from Midwest X1/9) They have a site and catalog online.
          I posted about the open house last week.

          Art Hughes  Columbus, Ohio  USA

           Visit   www.wvaanne.com   Art's List of Family Connections, WV Rt  87

          Did anybody go to the open house? I havent seen a catalog of theirs in several years, are they a good Yugo source these days?

        • orionyugo
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 18, 2010
            thanks art. i will note this in your file

            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 18, 2010
              Once again demonstrating superior customer relations.
              Jay, don't pee in your own pool dude.

              I have many A/c parts if you would like them.

              Jon

              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 2, 2010
                I should keep my fingers still.

                I have offered you my parts at a very reasonable price in the past. You have refused.  Send a truck, lets make a deal!!   :)  Hell, lets make a package deal with the Cabrio.

                Bayless... Matt is a very nice individual and knowledgeable about all things Fiat. He bought the Bayless inventory which came with a large yugo parts lot.
                End of story.  Maybe you should call him, and see if you can help each other out.

              • Forrest Bentham

                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 3, 2010
                    Forrest, The answers are yes and yes, but no to the two blank switch deletes.  Any Yugo that has AC was always a kit that was installed at a Yugo of America Dealer only or sometimes somone got a hold of a kit later and installed it.  Frigette made the complete kit.  The kit has it's own switches.  I just took some pictures of my car the other day and when I get them on a disk, I'll send you what it looks like.  The AC System is completely indepndent from the Heater System.  I am sure there are some new complete kits still around.  Try Jay at Orion.  I'm in the middle of repairing a pressue line in my car right now.  Let me know how you make out.  Oh, you did want to know what's involved too, so I'll give it to you straight.  Installing the AC kit is not an easy task whether you tackle it yourself or give it to a professional installer.

                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 3, 2010
                    I recently purchased a 1991 with Factory AC. I'm not aware if that package would fit anything but the later cars.

                    I will have to say someone did a hell of job enginering the AC package. It's a total bolt on, and doesn't require major surgery to install.
                    The AC compressor and alternator are on one bracket that bolts to the right side of the engine next to the fire wall.
                    AC condenser is in front of the radiator. The wiring is a seperate harness.
                    Inside the car, the AC unit is a very small package that is behind the current center console. The big deal would be the steel lines.
                    All the switches are in a seperate mini console, which is below the current center console I attached of picture of same.

                    You would have to call around to get a labor price, and then have all the parts available. It woudn't be a cheap job.

                    I'm not a fan of Haynes manuals, but the Yugo one does have some useful info. Any large Library would have online and printed materials to read about the cam belt procedures.

                    Message 10 of 12 , Jul 3, 2010
                      You are correct, but like I said when it comes to Yugo, Factory Air is or was really Dealer Installed which actually translates to the same thing as far as a typical buyer would have been concerned.  When you get the "kit", there is a very good installation manual that goes with it as well as an operators manual.  Frigette designed it specifically for the Yugo only.  Technically there were two kits that had slight differences.  One was for the carburated car and one was for the F.I. car.

                      Does anyone know what is involved/if it is possible to put AC in a non-AC Yugo? I would enjoy having AC but not at the cost of buying another Yugo/importing another one to Canada. I've never seen what the interior of a Yugo w/ AC looks like, I assume it utilizes the two blank switch pannels on the right of the steering wheel? If anyone has insight on putting AC in a regular Yugo, let me know.

                      Also, is there any sort of pre-existing write-up on changing your timing belt, specifically for Yugos?

                    • Tim Petersen
                      Message 11 of 12 , Jul 3, 2010
                        Yes, installing a Frigette A/C can be done without resorting to having it done by someone else. I put a packaged kit into a Dodge half ton pickup back in the mid-eighties (a bit more elbow room for working, I must admit). I'm not a mechanic and wasn't HVAC knowledgeable at the time. It was one of my first major projects. I read a lot from an auto A/C manual, followed the directions from Frigette carefully and put a few long, hard days into it, but when I finished, I had air conditioning. Unless you have a good vacuum pump for the A/C, that's a step you'll want to take to someone who does. Then you can charge it up with the 134a refrigerant. When I bought my first Yugo with A/C, I immediately recognized the design and the parts and smiled, glad someone else had put it in ;-) May your project go smoothly!!!

                        Message 12 of 12 , Jul 4, 2010
                          The one serious shortcoming of the Frigette/Yugo a/c is that there's no way to use the heater plenum to shoot the cooled air up through the dash vents and/or defroster. Front seaters' tootsies and inboard knees get nice (?) and cold but their noggins are up in the hot which pockets high in the cabin. There should have been a flap-valve installed between the heater and the a/c evaporator plenums to pass air up higher behind the dash. Even a couple of small diameter flex tubes could have ducted cool air to outlets at the end of the lower dashboard.

                          On our '88 GVL I installed a couple of vanes behind the outlets in the console which directed the output of cold air more or less straight up. It helped and wasn't too difficult a job. Sadly, that Yugo's been sold and we're left with the non-a/c '89 GL. Cloth seats help, 'specially here in FL.

                          But that's all water under the bridge now. We'll just have to live with the new FIAT 500 come next December!

                          wjs... Leesburg, FL
                          FIATs since 1958, or
                          "Some people never learn!"