Re:Yugo Towing? GL

  • JEFF FAHRINGER
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 1, 2010

      GL – could it be a  “Global”?   There were some yugos re-badged as “Globals”  I saw one once in Monroe NY . Where Yugo  has a “Y” emblem on the hood, it has a oval  globe  with longitude and latitude lines on it. I don’t know anything else about them.

      The mounting points for the tow package are  like Bill said. There is a threaded hole on the left and right unibody “frame rail”  underneath the car. Sometimes you will find big tie down eye hooks left in these from shipping. The other two points are in the bumper support where there are already holes in the middle.

      There is a euro version rated for 1 ton that has a long bar that goes up to tie in to the engines cross member. Not that a yugo could get a 1 ton tow rating here!

      If you can change a timing belt, you can do it on a yugo. If you are worried, just turn it over by hand without the plugs in after you are done.

      Jeff

      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 1, 2010
        No, Jeff, my Global, the luscious garnet red one crushed by the ice-laden pine, carried a normal Yugo model designation, GVL. Only the brand IDs were changed.

        My recollection is that the GL was an early model, before even the GVS. I've looked through my Yugo lit and find fliers for GV, GVL, GVX, GV Plus, and Cabrio, but no mention of that hauntingly familiar-sounding GL. Maybe I'm thinking of some Oriental maker's model from back then like, maybe, a Mazda?

        wjs... Leesburg, FL
        FIATs for 51 years. Or
        "Some people never learn!"