Re: [YugoUnitedGVOwners] gearbox woes

  • Yugonaut@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 1, 2002
      One of my YUGO's (1992) has the exact same  "noise" problem, have ben driving it for 62,000 miles since it started, nothing broke, and the noise is the same, car now has 98,000 miles.
    • Tony Underwood
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 1, 2002
        At 04:12 Ante 7/1/2002 -0400, you wrote:

        > One of my YUGO's (1992) has the exact same "noise" problem, have ben
        driving
        > it for 62,000 miles since it started, nothing broke, and the noise is the
        > same, car now has 98,000 miles.

        Excuse me...

        As I mentioned earlier, THIS noise is loud enough to make pedestrians stop
        what
        they were doing and stare at me as I drove past. It also was loud and severe
        enough to startle ME and I've been doing old/vintage cars for decades now and
        I've heard some nasty noises in my day.

        Add to this the vibration and jerks that were evident during the worst of the
        noises. THIS alone was enough to prompt me to consider that I may have
        additional damage that was not the original cause of the racket to start
        with... if it's a bearing. The jerks suggest that the bearing balls may have
        seized intermittently and spun the bearing race in the case. If this is so,
        it could well have galled/reamed the bearing pocket in the case, which would
        certainly mandate a gearbox swap.

        Never ignore an odd noise, severe or otherwise. It *Will* come back to haunt
        you.

        tony..
      • Tony Underwood
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 1, 2002
          At 03:02 Ante 7/1/2002 +0000, you wrote:
          >Tony, there used to be a guy on here in the Listbot days who could
          >rebuild a 5-speed, can't recall his name at the moment. Even if you
          >replace yours, you shouldn't scrap it. Seems like the 5s are pretty
          >rare around here!

          Oh, rest assured that *nothing* will be scrapped. I'm well aware of how
          scarce 5-speeds are... and GVXs for that matter. Hell, it's hard to find
          any Yugo in good shape anymore unless you go scrounging.

          If the gearbox gets swapped out, it will be so that I can rebuild it at my
          leisure. It sure won't get tossed.

          Stuff like this is already getting hard to find. Far too much of it has
          already been thrown away.

          tony..
        • Edselsouth1@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 1, 2002

                 Tony,

                 Now that you've convinced yourself that you need a gearbox, get to it and pull it out. I've got 2  (4 spd.) that I'll give you if you want to pick them up. I'm in north Ala.

                 David