Strong Gasoline Smell

  • David Strilich
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 2, 2009
      I have a strong gas smell inside my 86GV and I have not been able to locate any leaks under the car or under the hood. Anyone have any ideas?

    • Joseph Long
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 2, 2009
        Fuel pump going bad?  That's usually the culprit.

        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 2, 2009
          Please explain this to me.?

          Fuel pump going bad?  That's usually the culprit.

          I have a strong gas smell inside my 86GV and I have not been able to locate any leaks under the car or under the hood. Anyone have any ideas?

        • Gary Vitagliano
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 2, 2009

            Vent hose leaking?
            Fuel pump going bad?  That's usually the culprit.

            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 2, 2009
              David,

              I'd say your filler hose or one of the vapor recovery hoses has rotted away.

              Regards,
              Ben Pender

              Klassic Autos
              Vintage European Auto service, repair, and parts
              Madison, AL
              256-489-9560

              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 2, 2009
                I replace the gas tank and filler hose about 2 years ago so it could be the vapor recovery hose. I know it starts at the fill port but where does it go from there?

                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 2, 2009
                  Flex coupling between filler neck and tank... behind right rear interior panel.

                  wjs... Leesburg, FL
                  FIATs for 51 years. Or
                  "Some people never learn!"

                  I have a strong gas smell inside my 86GV and I have not been able to locate any leaks under the car or under the hood. Anyone have any ideas?

                • Daniel Hopkins
                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 2, 2009
                    Thats why the gas fumes are so strong inside the car, because either the connection is loose or the hose deteriorated...that pannel that Bill is refering to is just laminated cardboard,That won't keep out the fumes... Right Bill????

                    To: yugounitedgvowners2@yahoogroups.com

                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 3, 2009
                      Well, I'm not sure if I can explain why, except that when the diaphragm of a fuel pump begins to finally rot, then gasoline will soak the paper gasket surrounding it and wick to the surface.  You won't see a leak, but you will smell gas.  I've had this happen any number of times and most recently, this summer, had a similar situation on a 28 year old motorcycle when the fuel petcock diaphragm developed a pinhole leak.  I took the carbs off and cleaned them, I replaced the fuel cap, I replaced the hoses.  Finally, having eliminated everything else, I cleaned the petcock out a few times, but only after changing out the diaphragm did I get results.  Presto!  No more strong gas smell.

                      I should have started the quest for eliminating the smell with changing out the diaphragm but they're not always easy to find for bikes that old, are expensive, and no guarantee.  But knowing that most of the time, in my experience, that strong fuel smells in cars have been caused by faulty mechanical fuel pumps, I should have had more confidence in my original diagnosis.

                      On older cars, you could just change the fuel pump diaphragm and gasket, but new fuel pump designs usually call for the whole thing to be replaced.  It's a shame, too, because a new diaphragm cost about $5, while a new pump runs about $40.

                      Fuel pump going bad?  That's usually the culprit.

                      I have a strong gas smell inside my 86GV and I have not been able to locate any leaks under the car or under the hood. Anyone have any ideas?

                    • JEFF FAHRINGER
                      Message 10 of 12 , Dec 3, 2009

                        Have you peeked under the fuel tank cover under the back seat?  It’s easier to check than the filler neck so id check it first. A bad fuel gauge sender gasket can cause fumes without dripping gas, as you report.  If that looks/smells good and theres no fumes under the hood, then off to the filler neck!

                        Jeff Fahringer

                      • Joseph Long
                        Message 11 of 12 , Dec 4, 2009
                          I should add that in cases where the strong gas smell had to do with either a fuel pump or a petcock on a motorcycle, the fuel smell, while always present, becomes significantly stronger when the engine is running and for a few hours after the engine is shut off again.

                          Fuel pump going bad?  That's usually the culprit.

                          Message 12 of 12 , Dec 4, 2009
                            Well, not quite cardboard, Dan'l, but some sort of molded plastic crud.  Be careful prying the "darts" out of the holes in the body... the metal clips holding those little yellow buggers is just sort of "stapled" into the back of the panel and can easily pull out.

                            If this happens, use some "Household/"All Purpose/"Carpenter's Goop" (or "Shoe Goo"... same stuff) to stick the clip-- with dart in place-- back onto the rear of the panel.

                            wjs... Leesburg, FL
                            FIATs for 51 years. Or
                            "Some people never learn!"

                            To: yugounitedgvowners2 @yahoogroups. com