HELP!!! Blown timing belt?

  • Beamdoodle@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 4, 2009
      Hi Group,

      Chances are extremely good (>) that I have blown my timing belt on my 1990 Yugo Cabrio.

      Can anyone tell me what the symptoms are?

      In my case, I was tooling down the road with the top down, happy as a clam yesterday on the first gorgeous day here in NYC after a week of daily monsoons (only a sligh exaggeration), when I heard a dull popping sound and then the car seemed to instantly lose some power (but not all).  I limped off the road and by the time I got off the exit, I was spluttering and choking and stalling.  Pulled into a parking space, hailed a cab to my dinner date with my sister, and when I  returned, was only able to start it and make a U-turn to try to head home when it died completely.  I was towed home on a flatbed by AAA.

      Car is now dead in  the water (won't even turn over.)

      (1)  Is it just the timing belt?

      or

      (2) Am I in for an even bigger problem with the engine, valves, etc.?

      HELP!  I love my Cabrio!!!!

      Jessie (Yugogal)

    • The Vair Shop
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 4, 2009
        beamdoodle
         it does not sound good.  if the belt is actually broken or stripped,  the engine will still crank over; in fact it will crank over unusually fast . it could be the tensioner pully siezed up,  preventing the belt ( and engine ) from turning. usually the belt would strip or break under such conditions , but maybe you have a really tough one.
         bottom line-
        do not attempt to start it untill it is under inspection at the repair facility. the timing belt cover must come off  for diagnosis. fortuneately, the 1300 engine you have does not bend valves like the 1100 will when the belt goes.
        but of course, your troubles may be unrelated to the belt at all. presume water temp and oil pressure was normal at the time of the incident, yes?
        keep us posted
        larry claypool

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 4, 2009
          Yugo's are NOT interference motors so no worries about valve damage. You might have skipped a tooth. Should be an easy fix. OR you could part it out since I need a LH mirror for my Cabrio ;^)

          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 4, 2009
            Hi Larry,

            Thanks for the fast reply!

            You wrote:  "presume water temp and oil pressure was normal at the time of the incident, yes?"

            I am the one who wrote to the Yugo Group a while ago about the fact that my temperature indicator flew into the RED zone the second I turned on the key.  Not even cranked the engine.  Just turned the key on!  So I figured it was a SHORT.  I have had it in to my mechanic a few times -- even got a new sensor put in -- but that still didn't fix the problem.  So I just kept driving it because it drove perfectly!  No overheating, etc.  Car just flew.

            Could that have had anything to do with it???  If so, I will kill my mechanic (just kidding, but only half).

            Thanks for any advice that I could print out and show the mechanic (I'm already taking the last e-mail you sent).

            Jessie (Yugogal)

          • Beverly Mcdonald
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 4, 2009

              Yugos with the 1,100 engines ARE interference fits, the 1,300 engine is not so, if you have and older car, you had better change the belt at 30,000 intervals or you may have a big costly suprise.