Re: [YugoUnitedGVOwners] Questionable goofiness

  • daveyugo@aol.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 2, 2009
      Ok,

      I took an old dash module to make one to replace the one in my SCCA car.

      If you look on the back of one you will see what looks like a resistor that was soldered in as an after thought.

      You will find that it is a Diode that is to keep the oil and brake light from feeding back through each other.

      In the past I took one of them out and went to Radio Shack and found new ones and put them in.

      DaveYugo
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 2, 2009
        Well, since all seems to be working correctly right now, I'm not in the mood to either pull the cluster nor to back out the idle screw to drop the idle to 450 or so to get the oil lamp to flicker. I'm going to be a sport, Davey, m' friend, and take your word on it. What you said makes eminent sense.

        And, I'll make a note of this gem of Yankee wisdom and stick it to the wiring diagram in my Official YUGO Shop Manual (OYSM).  (Did you realize that some of the pix in the OYSM are scarfed right out of the FIAT 128 Manual?  Most obvious are some of the suspension pix which show 128 fender openings, not YUGO.  Most of the wording is right out of Torino, too.)

        Oh, how did I get an OYSM?  The "tech" at Stevens Chevrolet/Yugo in Granby was the son of our vet, Dr. Forrest Davis, whose office was right next door.  I stopped in to see the younger "Dr" Davis one day and he asked if I'd like all his YUGO stuff as he had been forbidden (!) from working on the cars lest something break and they'd be stuck buying the car as they were then unable to get parts.

        I snaffled that stuff right up right quick-like including even the strut compressor.  Still have it all.  Rarely need it, tho, as the '89 (says so on the door jamb ID sticker and it has no black box on the right fender in the engine room and it has the "passive restraints" with the anti-submarining dash bolster) now has 107,500+ miles and most recently had its first malady in what seems to be years, the vacuum-leaking oil separator drain tube fittings. What a car!

        wjs