Fuel filler cap cannot be removed

  • Jim Molloy
    Message 1 of 4 , May 3, 2009
      Hello to all,

      We have been the proud owners of a 1988 GV for a couple of weeks now. It came with no battery and the propensity to leak very old gasoline/varnish when the transporting trailer was parked on a slight passenger side incline on the road shoulder.

      The amazing thing is that, with the addition of a battery, this little gem starts, idles and drives effortlessly. A bit more than 67K miles on the odometer and the tags expired in 1998. As I said, very old fuel that still seems to make the engine purr.

      Two issues have surfaced. First, the leak in the fuel system will need to be located and corrected. That one is obvious. The second has to do with the fuel filler cap. The car lived the last ten plus years under trees in NW Oregon which translates to a thick covering of moss protecting the paint. Unfortuneately, the filler cap (non-locking type) cannot be removed. Hand grip counter-clockwise twisting would not budge the cap. A strap wrench got the plastic cover to turn and it seems to index with a bit more freedom every 180 degrees of rotation. It still cannot be removed. Before I perform surgery and dissect the cap, I thought I would pose the question to this list.

      Take care.

      Jim Molloy
      Waldersee Farm
      http://www.northwestmogfest.com
      http://www.volvo4x4.com
      Message 2 of 4 , May 4, 2009
        --- In yugounitedgvowners2@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Molloy" <walderse@...> wrote:

        > Hello to all,
        >

        > Two issues have surfaced. First, the leak in the fuel system will need to be located and corrected. That one is obvious. The second has to do with the fuel filler cap. The filler cap (non-locking type) cannot be removed. Hand grip counter-clockwise twisting would not budge the cap. A strap wrench got the plastic cover to turn and it seems to index with a bit more freedom every 180 degrees of rotation. It still cannot be removed. Before I perform surgery and dissect the cap, I thought I would pose the question to this list.
        > Jim Molloy
        Jim
        You'll have to cut off the plastic, so you can grip the metal part of the cap. You may rip the filler neck hose off. Probably try to get at the neck hose, and removed the filler neck and cap as a unit. Then you can use a propane tourch to heat the neck to get the cap to screw off.
      • DANIEL BOGUSE
        Message 3 of 4 , May 4, 2009
          I don't think a propane torch is the best thing to use around an open gas filler neck.

          Message 4 of 4 , May 4, 2009
            Hi John,

            you can disconect the metal tube from the
            gasoline tank. The tube is conected with
            a rubber tube to the gasoline tank.
            Remove that and it will make it less stressfull
            to remove the filler cap.

            With plenty of old fuel left in the system the
            carburetor tends to leak.
            Clean the carburetor, seal it properly and take a
            close look at the carburetor jets. If needed clean
            them and everything conected with them.
            If your car is an EFI one that means more work
            because the EFI intake is not as easy to fix
            as the carburetor.

            Good luck