Re: [YugoUnitedGVOwners] clutch adjustment

    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 1, 2008
      Two things immediately come to mind, Matt:

      1)  Is your cable stretched and about to fail?

      2)  Is the operating lever on the bell housing (a piece of stamped steel) bent or fatigued?

      wjs

      ok so i habe some issues with the adjustment on my clutch. its brand new and its still adjusted al the way tight? all the way maxed out and i would figure being new it should be all the way out not all the way in. so iput a shim on on the cable and it now grabs a little bit above the floor but now on the top end of pedal travel it feels like there is no resistance at all.... the clutch is workign fien i checked it according to the yugo manual  4th gear high idle balh blah... so is there somethign i am missing with this? also i need a 4 speed cv joint boot with the plastic peice already inserted in the axle shaft hole... and anyomne have soem poly urithane sway bar bushingings. ..
      matt

    • DANIEL BOGUSE
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 1, 2008
        It

        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 1, 2008
          It could also be that the cable came off the bell crank altogether and that's why its to long.

          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 5, 2008

            like there is no resistance at all.... > matt

            Matt
            I'll work from a faded memory, as it's been 10 years since I last
            adjusted my Yugo clutch.
            Basics to look at;
            Make sure the pedal rotates smoothly on the pedal pivot shaft. There
            should be no large amount of play if you try to twist the pedal, only
            very little. Grease the pedal shaft.

            Thinking the clutch cable hooks on a post welded to the pedal.If
            that's wromg, what ever the cable hooks to should be square with the
            pedal. No twist in either the pedal, or how the cable connects.
            Grease where the cable connects.

            Eaxamine the clutch cable to make sure there are no broken strands of
            wire on either end.

            Where the cable fits into the bracket on the trans, there is supposed
            to be a hard rubber bushing at the end of the cable outer housing,
            about 1/2 inch thick.

            Thinking on the clutch arm, it is a half round end, with a matching
            half round piece that sets in the arm, and the cable goes thru that.
            The half round piece is flat where the inner cable protruds. Grease
            the half round where it sets into the arm.

            With a new clutch, the arm is about parellel the the edge of the
            trans. The cable sholud have the 2 adjusting nuts out toward the end
            of the cable. 1 nut for adjustment, the other to keep the other in
            place.

            Properly adjusted, if you push on the pedal with your finger, you
            should have about 3/4 inch of no resistance.

            You mentioned a shim you installed, but didn't say where, but it
            can't interefer with the cable by making it twist sideways. The cable
            has to stay straight when it pulls. The only place you could shim is
            at the adjusting nuts, best is extra thick flat washers, as many as
            needed.
            If the 1/2 rubber is missing, it will make the cable too long, same
            with a twisted pedal.
            A wrong throwout bearing, that is not tall enough, will also cause
            the cable to be too long, same as a extra thick clutch disc.

            Last, but not least, the cable has to be for a Yugo, not a Fiat.
            Some Fiat cables will attach and work, but they are not the correct
            length.
            If the cable is actually releasing the clutch, but you have a large
            amount of play at the pedal, add washers that fit the cable well. and
            are small outer diameter. If so, I would say that the cable is for a
            Fiat 128.