Re: [YugoUnitedGVOwners] drums are junk

    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 2, 2008
      I've had problems with "FIAT" shoes as they seem to have too much "horn" on the top to permit the shoes to clear the drum.  Further, the holes for the return springs are too much toward the center of the shoe and the springs drag on the larger diameter Yugo hub.

      With some grinding on the horn at the top which goes into the wheel cylinder's piston slot and some work with a rat-tail file on the holes, they work.

      wjs

      From: Matt Goguen <mattyg84@hotmail. com>
      Subject: [YugoUnitedGVOwners ] drums are junk
      To: "yugo racing" <yugoraceandperforma ncecars@yahoogro ups.com>, "Yugo parts" <yugo@yugoparts. com>, "yugo club2" <yugoclub@yahoogroup s.com>, "Yugo" <yugounitedgvowners2 @yahoogroups. com>
      Date: Saturday, May 24, 2008, 5:10 PM

      ok so my g/f did some work on my car whilei  was away (such a sweet heart) anyway, she blew a tire on ther way to get the frotn end alligned. I have soem fiat mag rims that take fiat lugs on my yugo. my spare of course is a normall yugo spare tire and i have the normal lugs in my tool box in the trunk. well she didn't notice the other lugs and used the fiat lugs and destroyed the rear brake. so i took it appart and replaced the return springs and the drum itself since it was scored. i put a brand new drum on and a new set of shoes only on that side since the other shoes were practically new. the problem is there seems to be no way to adjust the brakes the drum went on but was tight and it gets supper hot the brakes seem to be dragging . could this be that the new shoes just are a bit thick? I'm thinking about just letting them wear in a bit but i donrt want to damage anythign and i know its not the e brake i made sure of that by disconnecting the cable from that ide just for now, the other side is fine and the right side was finer before the iccidient so i am figuring that the shoes are just a little too thick right now but any ideas??? this is my first tme doign anythign to drums and the first time i have ever seen no adjustment on the brakes (american cars have somethign called a star adjustment or somethign ) but any way just want to see what i should do thanks
      matt

      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 2, 2008