Re: [YugoUnitedGVOwners] Yugo

  • DANIEL BOGUSE
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 1, 2007
      I HAVE AN 88 GVX WITH 24000 MILES ON IT ALL ORIGINAL.

      cavalier2002us <cavalier2002us@...> wrote:
      Anybody have one for sale, preferably stock and original?

      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 1, 2007
        Dan
        We all would like to see pics of your GVX.

        Art Hughes  Columbus, Ohio  USA

         Visit   www.wvaanne.com   Art's List of Family Connections, WV Rt  87

        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 1, 2007
          Hey, chaps, it's a BIG world... give us a clue as to where buyers/sellers are.  There might be more interest expressed.

          DANIEL BOGUSE <rustycat97@...> wrote:
          I HAVE AN 88 GVX WITH 24000 MILES ON IT ALL ORIGINAL.

          cavalier2002us <cavalier2002us@ yahoo.com> wrote:
          Anybody have one for sale, preferably stock and original?

        • Phillip McDonald
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 2, 2007
            Ditto that.
            I have an 88 GVL in Tempe AZ I would consider letting go to the right person.  It has over 100K, runs fine but will probably need the carb rebuilt and some gaskets to stop some leaks. No AC, Fiat Strata rims and hub caps and a 87 GV parts car with title.  I just have too many projects and elderly parents that take a lot of my time.

            DANIEL BOGUSE <rustycat97@yahoo. com> wrote:

            I HAVE AN 88 GVX WITH 24000 MILES ON IT ALL ORIGINAL.

            cavalier2002us <cavalier2002us@ yahoo.com> wrote:
            Anybody have one for sale, preferably stock and original?

            Checked by AVG Free Edition.
          • John Edwards
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 2, 2007
              Howdy from SoCal...

              I have an 87 GV that I'm in the process of rebuilding for some Solo 2 fun. Taking a 1500 engine and doing the prep work on it to put out around 95-100 hp for the time being. Have put together a big valved head (39x35) with relatively unmodified ports. Will install a DGV carb on the stock manifold, a 270 cam, and a set of JE pistons of my own design. Have modified the connecting rods to lighten them, as well as the flywheel (2.5 lb reduction). Everything will get balanced and blue printed. I run an automotive machine shop and have all the right toys at my disposal to build the engine. I have several videos on StreetFire.net, and one in particular that might be of interest to the group.

              John Edwards
              Costa Mesa R&D Automotive Machine
              123 Monte Vista Avenue
              Costa Mesa, CA 92627 USA
              (949) 631-6376

              StreetFire handle: enginemachining
              YouTube handle: fiatnutz

                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 2, 2007
                  Dan
                  BTW, all caps in your text is the same as shouting, which is a no no.

                  What year is your X1/9? The last 2 Fiats I owned were X 1/9s.

                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 3, 2007
                    My FIAT is a 1984 Betone.
                    It's white over dark gray with a red leather interior.
                    It has A/C and power windows.
                    I got two years ago with less than 3000 miles on it.
                    I had to do some efi work and put on new tires(it had the original tires on it still)and a clutch master cylinder.Just for safety I also replaced the rubber brakes hoses and new rotors and pads which were also original.It's a sweet car on summer days out on the county roads here in Wisconsin.

                        Message 11 of 15 , Dec 3, 2007
                          John Edwards
                          Spent some time doing some "0" cost improvements on my Fiat 1500 powered  Yugo.
                          One of the things I did was open up the plenum chamber in the intake, straight down, with about  3/8 inch of carb mounting area left. I made an effort to use a fairly large radius to blend the plenum into the intake runners. The runners I didn't remove hardly any material, and all was finished with a fairly coarse emory paper, to hopefully promote break up of fuel droplets.
                          The stock Fiat carb spacer was used with the bottom of it bell mouthed on the side pointing down.
                          The head ports, I did increase maybe 1/32, so that I would have a anti reversion step, that is the head ports 1/32 bigger than the intake runers. I did also try to straighten the air flow to the valves, as well as some cleanup of the exhaust ports. I had an old Fiat 128 carb, the size I can't remember, which was bigger than the Yugo carb. The exhaust manifolld was a 1974 Fiat 128 part, which was basically a 4 into 2 into 1 design. 4 into 1 might be better.
                          The Exhaust manifold was slightly larger than the head exhaust ports. 1 7/8 ID exhaust, custom bent, using the stock cat, and a small Toyota or Dodge 4 cyl resonator under the trunk. This allowed a 2 inch tail pipe, in the stock location. Very pleasing sound, like it was 500cc bigger engine.
                          I kept the Fiat cam housing mounted distributor, and messed with the advance weights to get more mechanical advance, which isn't enough in stock form.

                          How much of the Fiat do you have? I never had a reason to try, but if you can put the guts of a 5 speed into the Yugo case, the Fiat shifter is on the wrong side, you could then use the X1/9 axles, which have double CV joints, and both axles are the same length. The torque steer with the long and short Yugo axles is a REAL handfull on hard accel. Nearly uncontrolable in a on/off power.situation.

                          The other thing is a strut rod to prevent the engine from rotating, which it will. Maybe reinforce the firewall, and make a bracket from the cam housing, like early Fiats had. And the good old shock tower side to side brace.

                          With your equipment, a custom made intake for a side draft Weber would solve a big air intake issue. The X1/9 engine being taller, gets the carb too close to the hood. A 4 inch tall air filter element would be good for air flow, but unless you scoop the hood, you can't have enough  room.

                          Art Hughes  Columbus, Ohio  USA

                           Visit   www.wvaanne.com   Art's List of Family Connections, WV Rt  87

                        • Jonathan Ranney
                          Message 12 of 15 , Dec 4, 2007
                            As the topic morfs and drifts, can we change the
                            subject line so that it relates.

                            Thanks!
                            Jon

                          • Sykes1
                            Message 13 of 15 , Apr 19 9:37 AM

                              "Yugo" Oil Filters - The orange ones capped in box with the Yugo Script for sale.  Hopefully minumin of 3 for $3.00 each plus shipping.

                              sykes1@...