worst trip to maine ever

  • Matt Goguen
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 3, 2007
      ok looking for some help. It took me 5 hours to drive what normally would take 1.5hr. My yugo started out fine then it lost all power and would go more then 5 mph with the pedal to the floor. I pulled over at a gas station and found that the hose to the brake booster was shot, also seems that the little elbow wasn't sealing too well. I put a new hose on and was on my way then suddenly smoke started pouring out the tail pipe and the car went 5 again. i pulled over and suspected that elbow so took the hose off the carb and plugged the hole with tape cuz that wa all i had.  i drove and the car was fine, then it did it again so i stopped at autozone and got vaccum plugs. then it was fine. then it did it again andi   noiticed the vacum cap flexed when i reved the engine so i got a small plastic elmers glue cap and wedged it in the whole. it seemed fine then totally dies. like i would start it and it wouldnt run unless the gas was  fully to the floor, and then it wouldnt go above 1,000rpm, with wide open throttle. i  pulled the plugs which were one day old and they were black. I was only able to clean 2 of them since i had only an adjustab;le wrench with me. i cleaned them and put them in and the car went 5 again for about 2 miles. I stopped at a gas station to get an energy drink figureing on about a 7 hr drive home at 5mph. i get back in and leave and a mile down the street it picks up speed and drove home fine!!!! i woukdnt go above 55 just to be safe but then on the home stretcvh i broought her up to 80 trying to see if it woujld do it again and nothing.......ruined my trip to bar harbor cuz i couldnt make it there
      could this all be caused by a vacum leak? it just seems to drastic for me. the plugss litterally were a day old and had not even 100 miles on them and they were NGKs not bad plugs so why all black? any ideas?
      matt

    • Don Conkling
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 3, 2007
        Matt,
        Sounds like no fun at all.  You didn't mention if the black plugs were dry or wet.  In my limited experience, dry black plugs show an overly rich mixture.  I would look at a sticking choke or something that would make it run rich intermittently.  If the plugs were wet and oily, that is trouble.  Often bad rings or a problem with the bore.  I wouldn't expect it to be intermittent.
        With my Yugo, a loose vacuum connection gave the symptoms of rough or no idle but I could get up to highway speeds.  No black smoke at all.  But it is possible that still could be tied to the vacuum system.
        I can't see a way that the vacuum booster to the brakes would cause the symptoms that you mention.  Just higher brake effort.
        You mention new plugs.  Although rare, could you have had a bad plug?  Did you gap them?  How about the plug wires, distributor cap, or rotor?  You probably handled all when you changed the plugs?
        My experience is that many of my Yugo problems occur when I cause a problem with my limited mechanical skills.
        I hope this is some help.
        Anybody got other ideas?  Let us know when you find the cause.
        Don

        Matt Goguen <mattyg84@...> wrote:
[...]

        http://mail.yahoo.com

      • dave dutton
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 4, 2007
          Hello Matt,

          Probably catalytic converter plugged up and coming unplugged by itself intermittently.  I check for bad cats using my pyrometer.  If the exhaust doesn't come out hotter than it goes in then the cat is bad.

          Alternately (and subjectively) you can listen to the exhaust for a plugged up sound.

          At 12:43 PM 11/3/2007, you wrote:
[...]

          Thank you,
          Dave Dutton
          Apple Motors in Denver Colorado
          www.applemotors.com
          303-421-0571  or 303-421-1922

        • r_bailin
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 16, 2007
            Matt,

            Be there, done that. Sound like one of the 4 jets/air bleeds in the
            carb is loose. You don't have to take apart the carb, just remove the
            air cleaner housing and then remove the horizontal pin that holds the
            air cleaner bracket on the top of the carb in place.

            Get a medium-blade screwdriver and a flashlight. If you look down the
            carb throat, you'll see 4 screw heads between the two carb barrels.
            Use the screwdriver to ensure they're tight (clockwise). Don't loosen
            them to test, just tight each one firmly (but not as tight as humanly
            possible; you may have to undo them someday).

            If the jets are loose, extra gas is dumped into the engine. If the
            loose one is on the primary (firewall) side, you see improvement when
            you floor the gas pedal. If it's on the secondary side, nothing seems
            to help.

            If none of the jets/bleeds are loose, and you've never rebuilt the
            carb, there's a good chance that the brass fuel inlet cutoff valve is
            shot. This is what shuts off the fuel entering the carb bowl when the
            float rises when it's full. The bowl overflows with gas, usually at
            high engine speeds or going over 60 mph, and floods the engine. A
            rebuild kit has a replacement neoprene valve that seals better.

            It's also possible that the float is leaky and doesn't float anymore,
            but this is very unlikely.

            Bob

            --- In yugounitedgvowners2@yahoogroups.com, Matt Goguen
            <mattyg84@...> wrote:

            > ok looking for some help. It took me 5 hours to drive what normally
            would take 1.5hr. My yugo started out fine then it lost all power and
            would go more then 5 mph with the pedal to the floor. I pulled over
            at a gas station and found that the hose to the brake booster was
            shot, also seems that the little elbow wasn't sealing too well. I put
            a new hose on and was on my way then suddenly smoke started pouring
            out the tail pipe and the car went 5 again. i pulled over and
            suspected that elbow so took the hose off the carb and plugged the
            hole with tape cuz that wa all i had. i drove and the car was fine,
            then it did it again so i stopped at autozone and got vaccum plugs.
            then it was fine. then it did it again andi noiticed the vacum cap
            flexed when i reved the engine so i got a small plastic elmers glue
            cap and wedged it in the whole. it seemed fine then totally dies.
            like i would start it and it wouldnt run unless the gas was fully to
            the floor, and then it wouldnt go above 1,000rpm, with wide open
            throttle. i pulled the plugs which were one day old and they were
            black. I was only able to clean 2 of them since i had only an
            adjustab;le wrench with me. i cleaned them and put them in and the
            car went 5 again for about 2 miles. I stopped at a gas station to get
            an energy drink figureing on about a 7 hr drive home at 5mph. i get
            back in and leave and a mile down the street it picks up speed and
            drove home fine!!!! i woukdnt go above 55 just to be safe but then on
            the home stretcvh i broought her up to 80 trying to see if it woujld
            do it again and nothing.......ruined my trip to bar harbor cuz i
            couldnt make it there
            > could this all be caused by a vacum leak? it just seems to drastic
            for me. the plugss litterally were a day old and had not even 100
            miles on them and they were NGKs not bad plugs so why all black? any
            ideas?
            > matt
            > Climb to the top of the charts!  Play Star Shuffle:  the word
            scramble challenge with star power.
            > http://club.live.com/star_shuffle.aspx?
            icid=starshuffle_wlmailtextlink_oct