Re: an oily mess

  • r_bailin
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 2, 2007
      Have you ever tried to pour a bottle of 20W-50 oil when it's colder
      than 20 degrees F outside? It's like trying to pour warm fudge or
      cold molasses. Now imagine your poor Yugo's starter trying to move
      the pistons and crankshaft through that stuff. Even regular 10W-40
      becomes problematic when the temp drops below zero F.

      If you want to use 50 weight oil in the New England winter, you'll
      have to use a synthetic or synthetic blend rated at 15W-50, 5W-50 or
      0W-50.

      Bob

      --- In yugounitedgvowners2@yahoogroups.com, "Matt Goguen"
      <mattyg84@...> wrote:

      > so its almost time for an oil change and i was under my yugo today
      and
      > noticed the bottom of the car is covered in oil, it appears to me
      that the
      > oil pan is leaking, so i am goign t change out the gasket this
      weekend. I
      > fgiure thats an easy bolt in bolt out procedure thats not my real
      reason
      > for this e mail. Fall is aproaching and up in here in MA this measn
      cold
      > nights some cold days and maybe some hot ones. I read in the
      service manual
      > to use 10/40w oil in the winter and 20w50 in the summer i have
      always just
      > used 20w50 year round but this is my first cold season with this
      yugo and
      > before me it was in NJ where it is not so cold. i am curious as to
      when it
      > is a good time to switch her over to 10w40? I figure this might
      help with
      > better lubrication in the cold, doesnt matter she gets put in the
      garage
      > once the first snow hits but just curious, any suggestions?
      > matt

      > Can you find the hidden words?  Take a break and play Seekadoo!
      > http://club.live.com/seekadoo.aspx?icid=seek_hotmailtextlink1

    • Ben Pender
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 9, 2007
        Yougonaut,

        I'm not sure if you were intending to call me an
        idiot or not, but I can tell from your note that you
        didn't get the point I was trying to make. Pour point
        and viscosity are related, but you can't equate the
        pour point with viscosity in the same way with
        synthetics and dino based oils. Synthetics typically
        have a much lower pour point than standard motor oils.

        Regards,
        Ben Pender
        Klassic Autos
        Older & Vintage Euro auto service, repair, and parts
        Madison, AL
        256-489-9560

        --- Yugonaut@... wrote:

        > If you want to learn about VISCOSITY and OIL in
        > general go to the
        > publications section of
        >
        > _www.synlube.com_ (http://www.synlube.com)
        >
        > I have been using SynLube WITHOUT oil chagne since
        > 1979 in FIAT and YUGO and
        > BERTONE cars, it is SAE 5W- 50.
        >
        > And any claims that SAE 15W-50 Synthetic oil flows
        > any better than SAE 0W-??
        > is total nonsense as the SAE viscosity is set by lab
        > tests at specific
        > NEGATIVE temperature (C or F) so ALL SAE 5W-XX have
        > the SAME flow at the same
        > temperature, no matter what the base stock.
        >
        > IT is amazing that people claiming to be car experts
        > do not have clue about
        > oil, (see J300 SAE standard) the only good think is
        > that the FIAT engine
        > design from 1970's is so bullet proof that it
        > tolerates total idiots be they
        > owners or mechanics....

        > new at http://www.aol.com

        Regards,
        Ben Pender
        Klassic Autos
        Vintage European Automotive service, repair, and parts
        121A Castle Drive
        Madison, AL
        256-489-9560

        http://tv.yahoo.com/