Spam, should group be moderated?

  • maryroseberg
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 5, 2007
      I delete the spam messages as they are posted, but by that time the
      members who get individual e-mails already have them in their inbox. I
      agree with those who've complained and can set the messages to need
      approval before they are posted, if enough members so desire. As it is
      messages are posted within the hour by Yahoo, if we go moderated it
      might be 12 to 24 hours as my schedule permits to review them. Please
      e-mail me at Yugoman50@... and let me know your thoughts about
      it. I hate censorship but with so many junk messages, sometimes
      bordering on lewd, if enough members want moderation we'll go that
      route to keep our Yugo community family-friendly.
      Thanks for everyone's membership and enthusiasm for all things Yugo,
      and a happy new Yugo year to all!
      Ralph
    • Ken
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 5, 2007
        Moderated groups can be a pain if someone is hoping for a quick answer
        and the moderator is busy or out of town and can not approve messages
        right away. One option could be to moderate new members for their first
        few post or require people to fill out a questionnaire and get approval
        before joining. If the group must be moderated I can assist with the the
        chore since I check my email often.

        Thanks
        Ken W

        maryroseberg wrote:
        > I delete the spam messages as they are posted, but by that time the
        > members who get individual e-mails already have them in their inbox. I
        > agree with those who've complained and can set the messages to need
        > approval before they are posted, if enough members so desire. As it is
        > messages are posted within the hour by Yahoo, if we go moderated it
        > might be 12 to 24 hours as my schedule permits to review them. Please
        > e-mail me at Yugoman50@... and let me know your thoughts about
        > it. I hate censorship but with so many junk messages, sometimes
        > bordering on lewd, if enough members want moderation we'll go that
        > route to keep our Yugo community family-friendly.
        > Thanks for everyone's membership and enthusiasm for all things Yugo,
        > and a happy new Yugo year to all!
        > Ralph

      • Ben Pender
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 5, 2007
          Ralph, Ken,

          Perhaps an even easier thing to do is change it so
          that membership itself has to be approved. That way,
          the moderator can deny the spammers membership in the
          first place. Sure, there will be some that get
          through, but in general, the spammers only target
          those groups that have open membership anyway. And,
          you can put something in the home page about
          prospective members *must* put some sort of note in
          the membership request having to do with an interest
          in Yugos. Those are very minor hoops for true
          Yugoists to jump, while spammers rarely go to the
          trouble. That way the messages come through quickly
          an un-impeded, and the membership is purged of
          spammers.

          It goes without saying that if someone does slip
          through the cracks and posts spam, then you simply
          remove them. This is what I do with the 10 or so
          groups that I own and the 10 or so that I moderate,
          and I haven't had a single spam message in at least a
          year!

          Regards,
          Ben Pender
          Klassic Autos
          Older & Vintage Euro auto service, repair, and parts
          Madison, AL
          256-489-9560

          --- Ken <racefan28@...> wrote:

          > Moderated groups can be a pain if someone is hoping
          > for a quick answer
          > and the moderator is busy or out of town and can not
          > approve messages
          > right away. One option could be to moderate new
          > members for their first
          > few post or require people to fill out a
          > questionnaire and get approval
          > before joining. If the group must be moderated I can
          > assist with the the
          > chore since I check my email often.
          >
          > Thanks
          > Ken W
          >
          > maryroseberg wrote:
          > > I delete the spam messages as they are posted, but
          > by that time the
          > > members who get individual e-mails already have
          > them in their inbox. I
          > > agree with those who've complained and can set the
          > messages to need
          > > approval before they are posted, if enough members
          > so desire. As it is
          > > messages are posted within the hour by Yahoo, if
          > we go moderated it
          > > might be 12 to 24 hours as my schedule permits to
          > review them. Please
          > > e-mail me at Yugoman50@... and let me know
          > your thoughts about
          > > it. I hate censorship but with so many junk
          > messages, sometimes
          > > bordering on lewd, if enough members want
          > moderation we'll go that
          > > route to keep our Yugo community family-friendly.
          > > Thanks for everyone's membership and enthusiasm
          > for all things Yugo,
          > > and a happy new Yugo year to all!
          > > Ralph

          Regards,
          Ben Pender
          Klassic Autos
          Vintage European Automotive service, repair, and parts
          121A Castle Drive
          Madison, AL
          256-489-9560

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • maryroseberg
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 5, 2007
            Ben, thanks for your input, and the suggestion that new members be
            approved was just implemented. So far all responses have been against
            moderation, so maybe this first step will start towards a spam-free
            group. My apologies to all who have complained about the spam
            messages, and hopefully we will soon get a handle on the problem.
            Happy Yugo-ing!
            Ralph
            --- In yugounitedgvowners2@yahoogroups.com, Ben Pender
            <ben_pender@...> wrote:

            > Ralph, Ken,
            >
            > Perhaps an even easier thing to do is change it so
            > that membership itself has to be approved. That way,
            > the moderator can deny the spammers membership in the
            > first place. Sure, there will be some that get
            > through, but in general, the spammers only target
            > those groups that have open membership anyway. And,
            > you can put something in the home page about
            > prospective members *must* put some sort of note in
            > the membership request having to do with an interest
            > in Yugos. Those are very minor hoops for true
            > Yugoists to jump, while spammers rarely go to the
            > trouble. That way the messages come through quickly
            > an un-impeded, and the membership is purged of
            > spammers.
            >
            > It goes without saying that if someone does slip
            > through the cracks and posts spam, then you simply
            > remove them. This is what I do with the 10 or so
            > groups that I own and the 10 or so that I moderate,
            > and I haven't had a single spam message in at least a
            > year!
            >
            > Regards,
            > Ben Pender
            > Klassic Autos
            > Older & Vintage Euro auto service, repair, and parts
            > Madison, AL
            > 256-489-9560

          • Ben Pender
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 5, 2007
              Ralph,

              I'd also offer my services as a co-moderator. I am
              a one man shop and I use the computer a lot and am on
              the computer a lot, so moderating would not be a
              problem.

              Regards,
              Ben

            • Randy
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 6, 2007
                I'm all for aproval for acceptance in groups & even moderation for
                first couple of post to make sure new person isnt a spammer. but
                he/she/it could still spam members e-mail...
                I have a couple of groups myself & my bigger group I have given full
                moderation powers to 3 of my loyal members with exception of ability
                to delete group.. & so far only 1 foreigner slipped in. he asked to
                join & gave a convincing request so was allowed to enter.. but was
                promptly removed & banned.
                my group was created to take over 1 that had gone to pot & was
                getting several spams a day & trying to keep group together.. we also
                took all of good information & made another group to store spam free
                info in for all our members to share.
                if help is needed i'll offer since this is a relative small group im
                not around a computer all the time.. life.... i try to get on 1 or 2
                times a day but it isnt always possible..
                as for reason I didnt give removal powers.. I know a lady personally
                that gave fullpowers & someone took over her group changed it
                completely & removed her & banned her...
                Randy

                --- In yugounitedgvowners2@yahoogroups.com, maryroseberg