Yugo rear wheel spacing, and air pump pulley size

  • Matt
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 1, 2006
      I am using 14" fiat rims not yugo rims so i believe this car has
      different lug nuts that either yugo alloy or steel rim bolts, triming
      the strut guards won't make it so dirt and stuff gets on the struts
      and destroys them?
      matt
    • stu riegel
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 1, 2006
        The shafts are either stainless steel or chrome plated. If anything's
        going to destroy them, it'll take years. An option would be to simply
        trim away the area that's hitting the tire, and leave the rest of the
        guard in place.

        Stu
        25 Yugos

        Matt wrote:

        > I am using 14" fiat rims not yugo rims so i believe this car has
        > different lug nuts that either yugo alloy or steel rim bolts, triming
        > the strut guards won't make it so dirt and stuff gets on the struts
        > and destroys them?
        > matt

      • Matt
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 1, 2006
          --- In yugounitedgvowners2@yahoogroups.com, stu riegel
          <stu-riegel@...> wrote:
          >ok but won't dirt destroy the seals on the struts and make them leak?
          also I would pretty much have to remove the whole upper cover because
          the more weight in the car, more people of sharp turns makes the
          suspension move and it then makes the tires rub against the strut
          covers, hence why i thought about the smalle spacers like between the
          front wheels and the rotors
          matt

        • daveyugo@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 2, 2006
            Hi Matt,

            On my 2 race YUGOs I replaced the lug bolts by pulling in 2" studs through the hubs in the front and rear . This let me put in all the spacers I needed to set the wheels where I wanted. With the  front you will have very little or no rubbing at all with big tires. The rear is where the clearance is the least. I run 215/50-13s on my SCCA ca and all I had to do was shim out the rear, cut the shock covers, that will not have any effect on them, and flatten the 3/4 inch lip inside the rear fenders.

            See how that works.

            DaveYugo