Re: [YugoUnitedGVOwners] Question for Yugo employees

  • Joseph Long
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 1, 2006
      All I remember was Cadillac advertising a deal in
      which if you bought a DeVille or something you got a
      free Yugo, though I hear there were few takers and the
      ad was more of a joke than anything. Anyway, it's
      sort of a buy one get one free with an asterisk
      meaning that the two items you get aren't identical,
      just that you get something free.

      The ad showed a perfect side view of a sky blue
      Cadillac with a sky blue Yugo behind it.

      --- maryroseberg <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      > I know this sounds like a silly question, but on the
      > forum at
      > Greensborogasprices.com, someone is trying to say
      > Yugos were at one
      > time offered as buy one get one free, and even that
      > KIA did the same.
      > I said this sounds like the late-night comedians
      > being taken too
      > serious, but the person says it really happened.
      > I've never heard of
      > Yugo doing this (or KIA either). Can any former Yugo
      > America employees
      > verify or deny this? Following is the comment.
      > Thanks,
      > Ralph
      >
      > Jus2Bmee
      > All-Star Author
      > South Carolina
      >
      > Posts:564
      > Points:23,110
      > Joined:Dec 2005 Message Posted: 1/28/2006 1:55:50
      > PM
      > They were initially introduced cheapest model buy
      > one get one free as
      > were the KIAs this past year.

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Ben Pender
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 1, 2006
        Ralph,

        I'm not 100% positive, but I believe that there is
        some truth to this. I don't think that there were any
        free-standing Yugo dealers. Well there may have been
        a very few, but in general, most Yugo "dealers" were
        already established selling something else, usually
        domestic. So, you could have had "John Smith
        Chevrolet-Pontiac-Buick-Cadillac-Yugo" or "Bob Jones
        Ford-Lincoln-Mercury-Yugo" or "Joe Roberts
        Chrysler-Dodge-Plymouth-Yugo" and the like.

        And, I do remember (vaguely) hearing that as Yugo
        was pulling out of the country, that some dealers
        would give one away with the purchase of one of their
        other "pricier" domestic cars. For instance, I do
        have a rather strong memory of some dealer doing a
        "buy a Buick, get a Yugo Free!" kinda deal.

        I guess at the time that was significant. However,
        I have seen in the last several years, the local Chevy
        dealer give away a Cavalier with the purchase of a
        Suburban! I don't know about you, but I'd rather have
        the Yugo!!!

        I was in my late teens/early 20s when this was
        occurring with the Yugos, so my memory is definitely
        not to be trusted, but that's my memory! Maybe others
        with clearer memories, and, I don't know, maybe FACTS,
        could chime in, but basically I believe that there is
        some truth to what that guy told you!

        Regards,
        Ben Pender
        some MGs
        some VWs
        some Audis
        some Yugos
        a Saab c900
        a Fiat X1/9
        coming soon! 91 VW Fox GL (4dr kid-hauler for the
        wife!)

        --- maryroseberg <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        > I know this sounds like a silly question, but on the
        > forum at
        > Greensborogasprices.com, someone is trying to say
        > Yugos were at one
        > time offered as buy one get one free, and even that
        > KIA did the same.
        > I said this sounds like the late-night comedians
        > being taken too
        > serious, but the person says it really happened.
        > I've never heard of
        > Yugo doing this (or KIA either). Can any former Yugo
        > America employees
        > verify or deny this? Following is the comment.
        > Thanks,
        > Ralph
        >
        > Jus2Bmee
        > All-Star Author
        > South Carolina
        >
        > Posts:564
        > Points:23,110
        > Joined:Dec 2005 Message Posted: 1/28/2006 1:55:50
        > PM
        > They were initially introduced cheapest model buy
        > one get one free as
        > were the KIAs this past year.

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • ronald lynch
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 1, 2006
          yes i think i remember a caddilac dealer in nashville tennessee advertising
          the deal buy a caddilac and recieve a free yugo.
          ronald lynch
          7 yugo's
          all of them once ran.
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 2, 2006
              I did a Google search. The cached page has a one
              sentance mention about a Cadillac Dealer offering a
              free Yugo if you bought a Cadillac.

              There was a Hyundai commercial way back where they
              said something along the lines of 2 Hyundais equals
              the same price as one Japanese or American car so it
              was like getting a free car.

              sean

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • yugobrick@aol.com
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 5, 2006
                One dealer did offer a Yugo with the purchase of a very expensive model they sold - perhaps a Caddy.  This was never a Yugo America offer.
                Mark Bricklin
              • Ben Pender
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 5, 2006
                  Mark,

                  You probably get this all the time, and I sincerely
                  apologize if its been discussed previously, or if the
                  question offends or annoys you, but...

                  are you perhaps related to Malcolm Bricklin???

                  I think it would be cool if you were! And you're on
                  this list!

                  Regards,
                  Ben Pender
                  some Yugos
                  a Fiat X1/9
                  and some Euro trash :^)

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • yugobrick@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 8, 2006
                    It is not annoying at all.  Malcolm is my Dad.  I worked at Yugo America from the very beginning until the spring of 1988.  I have a red 1988 Yugo GV, an '88 GVX  - yellow and I own half of a Cabrio located in northern Jersey.  I live in Vail, Colorado.

                    Mark
                  • William Schulz
                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 9, 2006
                      Mark-

                      I met with your dad one time when he was in Pennsauken doing Subarus.

                      I was trying to interest him in some derivitive designs of the 360 vans and trucks.

                      Small world.

                      Bill

                      yugobrick@... wrote:
                      It is not annoying at all.  Malcolm is my Dad.  I worked at Yugo America from the very beginning until the spring of 1988.  I have a red 1988 Yugo GV, an '88 GVX  - yellow and I own half of a Cabrio located in northern Jersey.  I live in Vail, Colorado.

                      Mark

                    • maryroseberg
                      Message 10 of 12 , Feb 9, 2006
                        We are honored to have Mark as a member. Thanks to his Dad's work we
                        have our little cars to enjoy :^)
                        It might be off-topic Yugo-wise, but how are things progressing with
                        the Chery deal, Mark?