Re: [YugoUnitedGVOwners] disturbing Yugo images.

  • Joseph Long
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 1, 2004
      What has happened to my country?

      I like the image of the guy holding the stick like a
      big phallus, as though he is now about to rape the
      beaten down Yugo in front of a drunk and adoring crowd
      of SUV owners. It's very sad.

      Another image it brings to mind, particularly the the
      holes in flesh of Yugo's side suggests that it has
      been scourged--the jeering audience, the tolerant
      silence of the Yugo who only meant to do good and came
      into a tumultuous world with only the purest of
      intentions and a revolutionary spirit, now being
      mocked--kind of reminds of a scene in a movie that's
      out right now, the title of which I won't mention.

      This is the world we live in. The senselessness
      continues on today.

      But the senseless derision aimed at the small car
      doesn't stop with the Yugo. There was a car brought
      to these shores with a similar intent, and I owned it
      as my first car. It was a Renault Alliance. With all
      the anti-French sentiment in this country generated by
      France's unwillingness to endorse the Bush plan, a
      local auto dealer threw a big promotion in which they
      crushed one. Also, I just saw an ad yesterday for
      another local dealer who was promoting a deal in which
      you could bring in any car in any shape and get $4000
      for a trade in. Behind him was a nice looking Renault
      Alliance. The dealer depressed the plunger in his
      hand and blew the Renault to bits.

      It seems that what Americans resent even more than a
      little car, is a little car that really tries to be
      more than a shit box. Americans don't mind a little
      car, as long as it doesn't get too cocky, which is why
      you never see such displays against, for example, a
      Datsun B210 or even Hyundais. As soon as Hyundai
      could, they made their cars bigger to keep the market
      share.

      I have a feeling that had Yugo been successful here,
      in order to stay successful, the Yugo would have had
      to have gotten bigger and restyled, just like the
      original--VW, and its followers Honda and Hyundai.

      In the US we'd rather go to war than save on gas. We
      proclaim our rights to freedom, even if it means we
      have to take from others instead of conserve our own
      resources. The worst part is, there is plenty of oil
      in the US. But we would rather go to war instead of
      use are own oil which is so much more expensive to
      produce.

      Joseph Long

      http://lokotavci.tripod.com/images/smeti/Yugo%20nostalgija.jpg

      > If I can stomach them, will find more later.
      >
      > Thanks,
      > David G.

      > Yahoo! Finance Tax Center - File online. File on
      > time.
      > http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html

    • t_saviour2003
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 2, 2004
        Wow,
        What a great piece Joseph.
        As an Englishman it gives me hope to know that some Americans feel
        like you do. The UK is hardly blameless for anything bad going on in
        this world,we have trained most countries armies and sold them the
        arms too. As a country we make profits from other peoples resources.
        From someone on the outside America's environmental policy is non
        existent.For a country that proclaims to be the "defender" of the
        globe,without a decent environment policy, there won't be an earth
        worth defending. The rest of the world knows, this is because of
        greasey back handers, while fat cats in big business want to make
        all the money they can, no matter who suffers,they pull the strings
        on all our politicians. The motor industry is a classic example.
        All the 'Green' alternative fuelled vehicles are dreams that won't
        be truely invested into and released to the public until there is no
        other choice. It should be mainstream now. I'm sure the stories of
        major motor companies buying up plans and ideas and shelving them,
        to prevent them effecting their sales are true.The oil giants don't
        like 'green' very much.
        My main point is that,perhaps,thanks to our global media,
        the rest of the world thinks the USA and MORE IMPORTANTLY the
        American people don't care about all this. It is a time of change,
        and YOU WOULD NOT BELIEVE HOW MUCH IT WOULD HELP,IN SO MANY WAYS,TO
        HEAR MORE MEMBERS OF THE AMERICAN PUBLIC TALKING LIKE YOU JOSEPH.
        Protesting that as a country this is not what you want.After all its
        down to votes! But as i say ....we get the impression here that you
        don't care.
        We all know Iraq was about oil....look at all the money
        that will be taken out in contracts to rebuild and develop the
        country and we blew it all up in the first place! Which brings in
        more money from us the tax payer, paying for weapons, which makes
        shareholders very happy!! So the cycle goes on.
        Libya with Mr Blair...who i might add we on mass do not trust
        (i never have) is in it for British business. More contracts.
        We went into Africa to stop the gang warfare...yes people
        were being brutally killed and raped,but the first thing the British
        army did was to secure one of the worlds biggest diamond mines.Hmmm.
        Sadam is an evil man...and he killed thousands and he
        needed to be removed. But remember he was financed by the USA when
        it suited them.The UK supplied weapons. So he could fight a war that
        we didin't officially want to get involved with.Then when it doesn't
        work and he doesn't dance to the tune anymore we wonder why we have
        Big problems.
        However there are many evil leaders and regimes, many far
        worse than Sadam ever was. Yet we won't do anything about it.Why?
        Because there is no financial gain. No way of paying the bill and
        then some...short term.
        Forgetting that a country doing well will offer trade
        opportunities in the future, with a more content population.
        Sad to say that whatever currency we use,we place too
        much importance in excessive material wealth and the generation of
        it,sacrificing our duty to our fellow humans and the future human
        race.
        It's 2004 and we have Billionaires and people who have
        to dig grubs out of the soil just to survive. No wonder there is
        hatred.
        I think the tide is turning, we need to move fast and
        change our way of looking at the world or we will lose it all. Then
        no one will have anything.
        Speak UP let the rest of the world know how the most influential
        people on earth feel and believe.Then us European's might sleep well
        at night.
        We all need to follow the Yugo(car)way of thinking!

        --- In yugounitedgvowners2@yahoogroups.com, Joseph Long

        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 2, 2004
          Thanks. There are lots of Americans who care about
          the world outside of the U.S. We are just not very
          popular right now. We'll see how many Americans like
          what Bush and his henchmen have done to the country in
          the next election--that is, if the Supreme Courts lets
          the American people speak.

          Believe me, there are plenty of Americans who feel as
          lied to, oppressed, pushed over, used, ripped open and
          laid waste on our own soil by this government as you
          do over there.

          Worse, I could also see Bush losing the U.S.'s oldest
          and best ally over Iraq. I really feel that Blair
          trusted Bush, or at least gave Bush his loyalty
          despite whether he trusted Bush or not. But like many
          who associate with a bad crowd, Blair will end up
          going down, too.

          But, I don't want to forget that this discussion group
          concerns the Yugo, and I'll get off my soapbox now,
          before I get labelled a traitor.

          I really just see Bush as a typical example of the
          kind of person who not only hates the idea behind the
          Yugo, would happily stomp it out in the way only a
          true stupid bully could, and finish by degrading its
          memory.

          Lest people think I'm a softy, I was completely, and
          still am, in favor of getting Osama. Where is he?

          We'll see Osama with the first shipment of new Yugos
          to the U.S.

          I'm done on this topic now. I swear. I guess I'm
          riled up by that article in the Oregonian, as well.

          I need to calm down and think of my Yugo. I think
          I'll rename my Yugo Prozac.

        • james kidd
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 5, 2004

                 Joseph,

                    I agree with your views 210%.

                                                                                                      Regards,

                                                                                                      JIm Kidd

            >From: Joseph Long <jos_long@...>
            >To: yugounitedgvowners2@yahoogroups.com
            >Subject: Re: [YugoUnitedGVOwners] Re: disturbing Yugo images.
            >Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2004 12:49:57 -0800 (PST)
            >
            >Thanks.  There are lots of Americans who care about
            >the world outside of the U.S.  We are just not very
            >popular right now.  We'll see how many Americans like
            >what Bush and his henchmen have done to the country in
            >the next election--that is, if the Supreme Courts lets
            >the American people speak.
            >
            >Believe me, there are plenty of Americans who feel as
            >lied to, oppressed, pushed over, used, ripped open and
            >laid waste on our own soil by this government as you
            >do over there.
            >
            >Worse, I could also see Bush losing the U.S.'s oldest
            >and best ally over Iraq.  I really feel that Blair
            >trusted Bush, or at least gave Bush his loyalty
            >despite whether he trusted Bush or not.  But like many
            >who associate with a bad crowd, Blair will end up
            >going down, too.
            >
            >But, I don't want to forget that this discussion group
            >concerns the Yugo, and I'll get off my soapbox now,
            >before I get labelled a traitor.
            >
            >I really just see Bush as a typical example of the
            >kind of person who not only hates the idea behind the
            >Yugo, would happily stomp it out in the way only a
            >true stupid bully could, and finish by degrading its
            >memory.
            >
            >Lest people think I'm a softy, I was completely, and
            >still am, in favor of getting Osama.  Where is he?
            >
            >We'll see Osama with the first shipment of new Yugos
            >to the U.S.
            >
            >I'm done on this topic now.  I swear.  I guess I'm
            >riled up by that article in the Oregonian, as well.
            >
            >I need to calm down and think of my Yugo.  I think
            >I'll rename my Yugo Prozac.

            >Yahoo! Small Business $15K Web Design Giveaway
            >http://promotions.yahoo.com/design_giveaway/

            Check out MSN PC Safety & Security to help ensure your PC is protected and safe.