Re: [YugoUnitedGVOwners] Best way to remove engine/tranny

  • ronald reagan
    Message 1 of 10 , May 1, 2003
      Do you have any photos of the work in progress as "Yugo" along?

    • jseabolt2002
      Message 2 of 10 , May 11, 2003
        --- In yugounitedgvowners2@yahoogroups.com, "ronald reagan"
        <gipper4ever@h...> wrote:
        > Do you have any photos of the work in progress as "Yugo" along?

        Right now I've been working on the interior. Either fixing or
        cleaning stuff. Starting at the dashboard and working my way back.

        I've got the dashboard out and a better one to go back in. I just got
        through fixing the ignition switch (key was broken off but could
        still be started) but now I have to manually turn the key back after
        turning it to the start postion. I don't know if the switch was
        boogered to begin with (don't think it was) or the locksmith put it
        back together wrong. I'll know if it doesn't start!

        Then I'm going to remove the door panels, scrub the powder residue
        off and paint them with something, fix the speakers, install a radio,
        fix the clips that holds the doorpanels on.

        Once the interior is in better shape, then I'll be dropping the
        drivetrain.

        The body is in good shape for a 16 year old car but everything else
        seems to be a mess. The only rust on it is at the bottom of the doors
        and the rear hatch like leaves plugged up the drainholes. The paint
        is oxidized but I found that rubbing alcohol and an old sock will
        easily remove it. But I don't plan on waxing it until after I repaint
        it.

        I'm still in doubt about the engine. Other than replacing all the
        belts and hoses, tuneup, the engine runs great (doesn't smoke) but
        the clutch is shot in it.

        I keep be-bopping between building a higher compression using engine
        1500 block/1100 head or turbocharging it.

        I turbocharged my Fiat Spider but it had fuel injection. If I can
        find the information i need on how to modify the carb I will go for
        it. That's basically what's preventing me from attempting to go with
        a turbo. The carb issue.

        There is one place in California that sells sandrail parts for VWs
        and sells some Webber carb related turbo stuff. I'll need to check
        with them. If they don't offer any hope then I guess I'll just build
        it up the best way I know how.

        But a turbo is really what I want to do!
      • Jonathan Ranney
        Message 3 of 10 , May 11, 2003
          The rear hatch, and windshield for that matter, has the drain tubes. A terrible idea. There are little plastic oval plugs with a hole in them that go through the sheet metal. The tube attaches from inside. The plastic stands proud of the sheet metal. This allows water to bead around them. Therefore it is constantly wet, and never drys out. A large hole results.

          The best fix, is to fill the hole and seal the gasket in with a windshield gasket sealer. I did this when repainting my yugo. The car will never rust in that spot again.

          The ignition switch should return from 'start' to 'Accesory'.

          Jon
          www.fiatpwr.com

          <gipper4ever@h...> wrote:
          > Do you have any photos of the work in progress as "Yugo" along?

          Right now I've been working on the interior. Either fixing or
          cleaning stuff. Starting at the dashboard and working my way back.

          I've got the dashboard out and a better one to go back in. I just got
          through fixing the ignition switch (key was broken off but could
          still be started) but now I have to manually turn the key back after
          turning it to the start postion. I don't know if the switch was
          boogered to begin with (don't think it was) or the locksmith put it
          back together wrong. I'll know if it doesn't start!

          Then I'm going to remove the door panels, scrub the powder residue
          off and paint them with something, fix the speakers, install a radio,
          fix the clips that holds the doorpanels on.

          Once the interior is in better shape, then I'll be dropping the
          drivetrain.

          The body is in good shape for a 16 year old car but everything else
          seems to be a mess. The only rust on it is at the bottom of the doors
          and the rear hatch like leaves plugged up the drainholes. The paint
          is oxidized but I found that rubbing alcohol and an old sock will
          easily remove it. But I don't plan on waxing it until after I repaint
          it.

          I'm still in doubt about the engine. Other than replacing all the
          belts and hoses, tuneup, the engine runs great (doesn't smoke) but
          the clutch is shot in it.

          I keep be-bopping between building a higher compression using engine
          1500 block/1100 head or turbocharging it.

          I turbocharged my Fiat Spider but it had fuel injection. If I can
          find the information i need on how to modify the carb I will go for
          it. That's basically what's preventing me from attempting to go with
          a turbo. The carb issue.

          There is one place in California that sells sandrail parts for VWs
          and sells some Webber carb related turbo stuff. I'll need to check
          with them. If they don't offer any hope then I guess I'll just build
          it up the best way I know how.

          But a turbo is really what I want to do!

          Do you Yahoo!?

        • daveyugo@aol.com
          Message 4 of 10 , May 11, 2003
            Hi Ron,

            Sounds like you are giving some GOOD TLC to your YUGO.

            From my experience of racing YUGOs for 12 yrs the best engine is a 1300 YUGO.

            See if you can find one and modify it.

            There are lots of parts out there to do it with.

            DaveYugo
            www.daveyugo.com
          • Jonathan Ranney
            Message 5 of 10 , May 11, 2003
              Hi Dave,

              Having raced a yugo myself for a number of years, I agree that the revable 1300 is the best for racing.  However for a street car, the torque of the 1500 can't be beat for around-town drivability. Especially if you are going to turbo the motor as james seabolt is planning.

              Hope to see you at a tour soon. We are planning on the peru tour in '04. Our car is getting a major rebuild this year and won't be ready until late July or August.

              Jon

              Do you Yahoo!?