Finally have my toy....

  • Bradley L. Swartwood
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 1, 2002
      Hey Guys-

      I finally have my YUGO that I won off of Ebay about 3
      weeks ago. I drove her from Indiana to the Tampa Bay,
      FL area with no problems and not too much discomfort.

      The car is great- I'm already impressed with how
      simple it is to fix things on it, as I've spent most
      of today making sure all the little things are working
      properly. Tomorrow I'm going to wax it and see how
      well it'll shine.

      I have one thing I haven't been able to figure out-
      the turn signals. The driver's side blinks normally-
      both outside & on the dash. The passenger side blinks
      very rapidly outside and doesn't blink at all on the
      dash. All four bulbs seem to be working fine, and
      with the hazards on they all blink at a normal rate
      and the dash light works fine. Not sure if I need a
      new flasher or what the problem could be. Any ideas??

      Thanks

      Brad

      02 Suzuki Aerio SX
      88 YUGO GV

      http://mailplus.yahoo.com
    • jim kidd
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 1, 2002

        Brad, Congrats on your new purchase, About the bulb,I got the idea from some one else in the groups that the Yugo needs a specfic Euro type bulb,and not the American 1150 bulb. Mine does the same thing!! One of these days I'll get the right bulb. On the rubbing and waxing.Here's what I did get some No.7 rubbing and polishing compound,and do the rub,rub,rub thing. Then use carnuba wax. Its alot of work but when the paint is finaly polished out it  will look fantastic. Regard Jim

        P.S. In about 6 months after your first go around on rubbing it out. Go over it again with the polishing compound,and rewax. Don't forget the Wen, chat

        Do you Yahoo!?
      • William Schulz
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 1, 2002

          Sorry, guys,

          I've been using standard K-/Wal-Mart type, "Made in China" (or some other damn place) bulbs and they work just fine IF THEY ARE PROPERLY ORIENTED TO THE INPUT.  LOOK AT THE OFFSET ON THE BAYONNET STUBS AND PUT 'EM IN THE RIGHT WAY.  The "parking" filament doesn't draw enough to let the flasher work properly.  Otherwise, tick-a, tick-a, tick-a instead of ka-TINK, ka-TINK.  (Yeah, I know, but you get the idea....)

          Bill-- FIATs forever!  Leesburg, FL

          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 1, 2002
            I thought that the bulbs would only fit in one way-
            how do you determine if it's turned incorrectly. They
            have little notches that have to slide into a slot- I
            think....

            Thanks for the advice.

            As for the "Euro" bulbs where can you buy these at?

            Brad

            http://mailplus.yahoo.com
          • William Schulz
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 2, 2002

              Cylindrical base bulbs have two studs sticking out the side of the brass base.  On the two-filament park/turn (front, as rear turn signal is single filament), one is near the contact end, the other a little higher up toward the glass.  Look into the signal lamp socket and notice the two "L" shaped slots-- one is longer/deeper than the other.

              The bulb goes in with the stud closest to the contact end into the longer "L" slot.  It's supposed to polarize the bulb so that it can't be installed incorrectly but the flimsy material used for sockets these days (all manufacturers) makes it possible to jam the bulb in the wrong way with very little effort.

              As for "Euro" bulbs-- they're all made to a spec, i.e.; base, voltage, and wattage.  Makes no annahoo where they're made, a bulb is a bulb is a bulb.  (Ain't that profound!)

              Bill-  FIATs forever!

              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 2, 2002
                Thanks for the advice- I went out and checked the
                bulbs on that side. Everything was in the right side-
                I even went as far as switching around the bulbs from
                side to side (since the other side was working fine)
                and still the passenger side blinks too fast and the
                other is fine. So it's either a wiring issue or
                possibly the flasher or ?....

                Also the "brights" aren't working all the time. They
                worked fine on the trip down here- off and on. And
                again last night I tried them and they worked fine,
                but later on that night they weren't working and still
                aren't. Possibly a fuse, but since I'm not sure what
                fuse goes to what that's a little difficult to check.
                Could someone send me a list of what they are...they
                seem to be #-ered. That would be a big help. All of
                the fuses look original black plastic with little
                strips of metal, so I'll probably switch them out to
                glass ones. I already cleaned all the connectors with
                a wire brush to see if that helped with no luck.

                And last but not least, the low fuel light....when
                does it come on? Is there any way to check to see if
                it's still working without running out of gas :-)?

                Thanks Again-

                Brad
                --- William Schulz <schulznotee@...> wrote:

                > Cylindrical base bulbs have two studs sticking out
                > the side of the brass base. On the two-filament
                > park/turn (front, as rear turn signal is single
                > filament), one is near the contact end, the other a
                > little higher up toward the glass. Look into the
                > signal lamp socket and notice the two "L" shaped
                > slots-- one is longer/deeper than the other.
                > The bulb goes in with the stud closest to the
                > contact end into the longer "L" slot. It's supposed
                > to polarize the bulb so that it can't be installed
                > incorrectly but the flimsy material used for sockets
                > these days (all manufacturers) makes it possible to
                > jam the bulb in the wrong way with very little
                > effort.
                > As for "Euro" bulbs-- they're all made to a spec,
                > i.e.; base, voltage, and wattage. Makes no annahoo
                > where they're made, a bulb is a bulb is a bulb.
                > (Ain't that profound!)
                > Bill- FIATs forever!
                > "Bradley L. Swartwood" <florida_aeriosx@...>
                > wrote:I thought that the bulbs would only fit in one
                > way-
                > how do you determine if it's turned incorrectly.
                > They
                > have little notches that have to slide into a slot-
                > think....
                >
                > Thanks for the advice.
                >
                > As for the "Euro" bulbs where can you buy these at?
                >
                > Brad

                > Terms of Service.

                http://mailplus.yahoo.com
              • William Schulz
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 2, 2002

                  Brad-

                  Same flasher operates both sides.  Hmmmm.  And all the turn signals are on the same fuse so that's not it.  Did you check the rears?  Put the 4-way flashers on and see if the right side is flashing dimmer than the left.  There may be a wrong (too small) bulb in back.

                  The high beams are separately fused.  Check out fuses #3 and 4 although it sounds more like a connector "upstream" of the fuse block, maybe even at the base of the steering column or the coming through the firewall.  These intermittent things are a bear!

                  Bill-- etc

                  Do you Yahoo!?

                • maryroseberg
                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 2, 2002
                    The high-low beam could be the dimmer switch assembly on the steering
                    column. It happened to one of my Yugos, except I only had high beams.
                    Good news is they're easy to replace and not too expensive. You'll
                    need to check what kind of plug yours has, as early and late model
                    Yugos had different ends. That could even explain the turn signal
                    problem, if it is indeed the switch.