Off Topic: 50th SCCA Runoffs May Be A Record Breaker

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 8, 2013
      Finished the Fiat X1/9 race car engine (again) Sat, and we wiill go to the dyno Tues for retesting. We had good rear wheel horse power  (as good as our best prior engine) 2 weeks ago,  along with some other better numbers, and did track testing  Aug 31.
      Track lap times were OK, but surprised us with not the decrease in lap times (1 second) we expected. Determined the piston rings weren't working properly, so I had to replace them. Really odd, have never seen it before, but at least fairly sure I know the cause. More later.

      In 2011 in the Championship at Road America,, our race had 28 cars, 2012 there were 22 entrys. As of 2 weeks ago, our class is at 32 cars, including another Fiat X1/9 built in our shop that changed hands after being raced only 1 weekend. Don't know the last time 2 X1/9's were in the race, but bet it's been awhile.

      A class called Spec Miata, which is a group with only the Mazda Miata sports car, is at an astounding 71 entrys. That's one race I will have to watch the first few laps, or the whole thing if we aren't busy. The most cars I've ever seen in one race, was in 1980 at Road America. A Fiat 124 I was wrenching was on the front row, with 56 cars behind us, but that was a race with 3 different classes involved.

      Scroll down for the link.
      Art Hughes  Columbus, Ohio  USA

       Visit   http://www.wvaanne.com/   Art's List of Family Connections, WV Rt  87