Improving shifter feel

  • vipyugouk
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 4, 2013
      Hi guys, what tips do you have to improve the very sloppy and imprecise shifter feel I have in my Yugo GVX?
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 4, 2013
        85% of the time, it's the shifter rod to the transmission selector shaft.
        A 10mm and 13mm wrench disconnects the "Lollipop" ( rubber disc shaped piece that goes between the shift rod from the stick, to the trans selector shaft)
        Where the lollipop connects to the trans is what you take apart. You have 4 parts to watch for. The 13mm head bolt, a thick washer with a shoulder on it, a thin wave washer, and the nut.
        The thick washer with the shoulder goes in one end of the lollipop, with the shoulder sticking up, and the thin wave washer goes on the shoulder on the thick washer. the bolt and nut are tightened firmly.
        What you are looking for is Zero play, which you check by grabbing the lollipop and rotating it left and right, but not making the trans shaft move.
        Easiest is get a flat washer of regular thickness ( most common is a 5/16ths flat washer out of your junk drawer)
        This washer will not go over the shoulder on the thick washer, so you have to enlarge the hole so it will. This modified washer replaces the thin wave washer. Install the bolt with the thick washer thru the lollipop, shoulder pointing up, fit your modified washer on the shoulder, and the bolt goes thru the trans shaft, and the nut on top of the trans shaft. Make sure your washer doesn't slide of the thick washer shoulder. Tighten firmly, but don't break the bolt. You should now have zero play at that junction.
        When all was new, the thin wave washer took up the slop, which wasn't real tight to start with, and rapidly got loose with age.
        The lollipop rubber will get soggy with oil/age, and common to find them with a single bolt/nut installed thru the middle of the disc.
        Stock parts were to eliminate vibrations in the shifter, but it will fuction fine after you fix it.

        Art Hughes  Columbus, Ohio  USA

         Visit   http://www.wvaanne.com/   Art's List of Family Connections, WV Rt  87

        Hi guys, what tips do you have to improve the very sloppy and imprecise shifter feel I have in my Yugo GVX?

      • DANIEL BOGUSE
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 8, 2013
          Add another washer to the bolt conection at the rubber shifter plate.

          Hi guys, what tips do you have to improve the very sloppy and imprecise shifter feel I have in my Yugo GVX?