Re: [YugoUnitedGVOwners] running temp?

    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 17, 2013
      By your description, you have air in the cooling system, which collects in the thermostat housing, causing the thermostat not open.
      Totally cold engine, not run for 6-8 hours. Take off radiator cap. If low on water/coolant, fill to top of radiator, squeeze the hoses to see if you can get air to come out, to get more coolant in it, refill as needed, then reinstall the cap.

      Fill res tank near 7/8's full.  In advance, determine which fuse runs the rad fan. Run engine at idle until the fan comes on, and pull the fan fuse.
      Watch temp gauge, and aslo watch the res tank, looking for air bubbles. When the gauge hits full hot, turn off engine, and look in the rad reserve tank for more air bubbles. Res tank may run over full. Wait untill air bubbles stop, reinstall fan fuse. If the fan comes on, let it shut off, then start the engine and Immediatly hold engine to about 2,000RPM.
      (fan may be on). Look at temp gauge, and when it comes down, let the engine idle. Look at res tank to see if water level went down. If level dropped, fill to at least 3/4 full, and test drive. (shut off heater)

      If the rad was low, and res tank low, after 1 day use, recheck res tank level for 3/4 full. Normal is the fan comes on 1/2 way to 3/4 hot, drops to near normal temp, and shuts off.

      Trick. NEVER take off the rad cap unless engine hasn't run for several hours. The res tank is where you check coolant level, if the fan action and temp seems normal.

      The coolant expands in the rad, and moves excess fluid to the res tank.
      Air in the cooling system will come out at the same time, and when the engine is cold, the rad water shrinks causing water to move from the res tank, (minus expelled air) back to the rad. All air has to stay out of the small hose from rad to res tank, in order for the system to work. If you open the cap with any engine temp, you will allow air to enter. breaking the self bleed function.

      Let us know what happens. It might take 2-3 days for all air to work out
      Art Hughes  Columbus, Ohio  USA

       Visit   http://www.wvaanne.com/   Art's List of Family Connections, WV Rt  87

      just got a yugo again javent had one in awhile temp gauge goes over 3/4 oh the way to hot before fan kicks on then runs for about 5 seconds then shuts off . dont remember them running this hot any ideas of what could be wrong car is a 87 yugo gv has 12000 original miles been sitting but very good shaperuns grwat but havent let it get too hot yet
    • yugophile
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 19, 2013
        Do make sure you are not short on coolant, but 3/4 of the way doesn't seem out to the normal yugo range to me. Most of my yugos ran there and lived long lives. Jay of orion used to say they were set up that way to burn clean and effecient for emissions and economy if I remember correctly. Ya definitely don't want it right up to the red though. Keep in mind there are different temp thermostats that will fit in that housing, you may just have a warmer one than you are used to. Is the temp stable? How is it on the road?
        Jeff F

        --- In yugounitedgvowners2@yahoogroups.com, Art Hughes <pro4art@...> wrote:

        > By your description, you have air in the cooling system, which collects in the thermostat housing, causing the thermostat not open.
        > Totally cold engine, not run for 6-8 hours. Take off radiator cap. If low on water/coolant, fill to top of radiator, squeeze the hoses to see if you can get air to come out, to get more coolant in it, refill as needed, then reinstall the cap.
        >
        > Fill res tank near 7/8's full.  In advance, determine which fuse runs the rad fan. Run engine at idle until the fan comes on, and pull the fan fuse.
        > Watch temp gauge, and aslo watch the res tank, looking for air bubbles. When the gauge hits full hot, turn off engine, and look in the rad reserve tank for more air bubbles. Res tank may run over full. Wait untill air bubbles stop, reinstall fan fuse. If the fan comes on, let it shut off, then start the engine and Immediatly hold engine to about 2,000RPM.
        > (fan may be on). Look at temp gauge, and when it comes down, let the engine idle. Look at res tank to see if water level went down. If level dropped, fill to at least 3/4 full, and test drive. (shut off heater)
        >
        > If the rad was low, and res tank low, after 1 day use, recheck res tank level for 3/4 full. Normal is the fan comes on 1/2 way to 3/4 hot, drops to near normal temp, and shuts off.
        >
        > Trick. NEVER take off the rad cap unless engine hasn't run for several hours. The res tank is where you check coolant level, if the fan action and temp seems normal.
        >
        > The coolant expands in the rad, and moves excess fluid to the res tank.
        > Air in the cooling system will come out at the same time, and when the engine is cold, the rad water shrinks causing water to move from the res tank, (minus expelled air) back to the rad. All air has to stay out of the small hose from rad to res tank, in order for the system to work. If you open the cap with any engine temp, you will allow air to enter. breaking the self bleed function.
        >
        > Let us know what happens. It might take 2-3 days for all air to work out
        > Art Hughes  Columbus, Ohio  USA
        >
        >  Visit   http://www.wvaanne.com/%c3%82%c2%a0%c3%82%c2%a0 Art's List of Family Connections, WV Rt  87
        >                      Genealogy in Jackson and Mason Counties, WV

      • vrdolce
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 19, 2013
          thank you for all your help on this subject. yeah i guess just sitting and idling it runs 3/4 of the way up then took it down the road and it dropped almost immediatly almost below half and didnt move much from there. running real good now just have to change timing belt and all will be perfect. ill post some pics soon this thing is so clean