My New Yugo, 4 wheel disc brakes

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 6, 2013
      Have had normal brake problems with my Yugo, Master Cyl failed due to setting unused, was stored with E brake on, which warped rear drums, Front calipers sticky, not releasing fully, and brake pull to one side.
      Not big issues, and driveable anyway after some attention paid to the issues, except for the Master taking fluid every week.

      Rather than replacing rear drums, and replacing front calipers, hoses, and rotors, because my car is worth it for long term, I decided I wanted rear disc brakes, and "Whoa" brakes for the front, which are 4 pistons for each caliper, rather than the 1
      for stock brakes. Not cheap, but after nearly spining out missing an errant idiot driver, long term, I'd expect to have more brake work needed later on, if I just used stock parts, or worked on the problems.

      A few weeks ago, I had to swerve  hard to the right at about 50MPH. I had the brakes near lock up, as you should for an emergency, but the brakes have been pulling right anyway, so the swerve just amplified the brake pull, getting me 90 degrees to my line of travel, in a slide. The old guy grabbed second gear and went on down the road, before getting run over from behind. LOL!

      Aside from the "Big Boy" look of the brakes, which can be seen thru my alloy wheels, it now brakes perfectly dead nuts straight, pedal pressure is less, and slow down rate is much better. I spent the time to make the E brake work, by modifying the Yugo E brake cables, and it works as good as stock to hold the car.

      Contrary to my normal practice, I'm being kind to the brakes, wanting them to break in perfectly, so haven't hammered them real hard yet. Well, I did Monday, 3 week ago, when I got off the freeway, which is a left and right turn ramp, and the guy in the left turn lane I was going to go past on his right, waited until I was almost at his rear bumper, then made a hard right turn into my lane. No loss of control under heavy breaking, no swerve with brake pull, flick of the wheel to miss him. A week earlier, I'd have bashed the curb, and hurt my car realy bad.

      I posted pictures, in the photo section on the club site, under "My Yugo brakes".

      Art Hughes  Columbus, Ohio  USA

       Visit   http://www.wvaanne.com/   Art's List of Family Connections, WV Rt  87