EFI question

  • yugo3333
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 4, 2013
      In addition to the Yugo I plan on putting back together with the 1500, I'm planning on getting my EFI Yugo running as well for a daily driver.

      My question is what type of fuel pump can I use as a replacement? Does it have to be the stock kind or any one that puts out 50-60psi? Does the pump get any special signal from the computer or can I have a switch with 12V?

      Any help is appreciated.

      Thanks,

      DIM-E
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 4, 2013
        The fuel pump is a generic style in tank pump. You can't leave it in place, and use an outside pump. The "sock" which is on the end of the fuel pickup, is a Ford?Mercury? part, available at any auto parts store. Must have one to protect the pump.
        Pointless to use additional wiring to turn the pump off and on.
        Under car Fuel filter should be replaced when you replace the pump.
        Did you check for 12V power to the pump? They make little noise when in good shape, and don't run unless using the starter, and after the engine is running.

        Art Hughes  Columbus, Ohio  USA

         Visit   http://www.wvaanne.com/   Art's List of Family Connections, WV Rt  87

        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 4, 2013
          The thing is I was naive to EFI when I started this catastrophe. I was having misfire issues with the car, back 6 years ago and I thought it was the fuel pump. I put the car in the on position, didn't see 12v, and assumed the wiring was bad. I put the pump on a switch for 12v, same problem, and it turned out to be a bad injector. I fixed that, but left the pump on the switch. Of course, being stupid, I left the switch on one day and burned the pump. Literally it was all burned up.

          I heard from someone to use an Audi 5 cyl turbo pump because it was the same spec. I found one in a junkyard and the car looked new and in good shape so I grabbed it. The car ran pretty good after that, not as good as before tho, but it never passed smog after that.

          Sorry for so long an explanation, but ya, after I got the EFI book and learned more how the motronic worked, I realized the first of my errors, 12v gets there when its supposed to, not just in the on position.

          I'm hoping to get fuel pump that can replace it. This time I'll wire it up the way they should be so I don't make the same mistake. I'm just not sure what to use. I saw one on JC Whitney that does 45psi at 220l/h. Is that going to be enough?  I heard somewhere it needs to be 50-60 psi?  I live in CA and my biggest prob was that I couldn't pass smog because it would go lean when they jammed on the gas.

          What you think?

          Thanks,
          DIM-E

          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 4, 2013

            DIM-E, Not sure if I have a new fuel pump for sale.  Problem is I can't get to my storage yet.  I do know I have a sending unit, sock, and gas tank there.

            sykes1@...

            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 4, 2013
              Ya I hate those storage problem issues. My old boss used to deal with it every two months. Thanks for those bags tho, nice keepsake!  Remember I got dibs on the oil filters when you have access to them!

              DIM-E

              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 4, 2013

                Roger That

                Look, if it's an emergency or something like that, of course I can go.

                Sorry, but I have some deep problems that are preventing me from doing almost everythying.

                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 4, 2013
                  Oh man sorry to hear. If you don't want to talk about it it's cool, if there's anything I can do to help let me know!!!

                  It's no emergency at all, I just want to make my old daily driver my current one, and build my race car at the same time.

                  I hope all is well man

                  DIM-E

                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 4, 2013
                    Hey, I don't blame you for wanting to get your other Yugo back on the road as a daily driver.  Yugos are fun are drive.  If I was in your postion, I'd be just like you.

                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 4, 2013
                      It's been too long and not because of the Yugos, just the situations I've delt with for 6 years or so. I'm blessed I have my dads old car to drive now, but I'm finally able to get my own cars back on the road and I'd like to do it right. God bless man, all the best!!!

                      DIM-E

                      Message 10 of 14 , Jul 4, 2013
                        45PSI is the max pressure required. Price? Is it listed as FOR a Yugo?
                        You could pull out the pump assy, take it to a parts store, and compare price and specs to a common American car IN TANK  pump. Worth a few bucks more to avoid a pump that might not fit, and have a local place for warranty.
                        JCW is a mass buyout company, and sometimes the listings are incorrect.
                        My faded brain cells say I bought a Mercury fuel pump sock. It's built at a slight angle, so it doesn't get mashed when the pump assy is reinstalled.

                        Gee, why does your screw up sound so familiar to me? LOL. Done that already, when I was chasing multiple elec problems on my never driven Yugo.
                        I assume you installed a used pump, OUTSIDE, the fuel tank? You could only do that if you removed the in tank pump.

                        Message 11 of 14 , Jul 4, 2013
                          I bought my 90' EFI Yugo after sitting for 10 years in a garage undriven. Very low miles and like-new interior/paint still, but the fuel pump had seized up from sitting. I replaced it with a cheap $50 pump from ebay, meant to be mounted vertically. The pressure on it is adjustable, but i left it at the default...I think Jay the parts guy on here said that the stock/proper pressure is 80 or 90 PSI... I made it work, and it works well, the sock is squished a little and the car sputters and runs out of fuel right after the light comes on steadily due to the height the pump sits at, but over all im satisfied with it. My plan has been to keep the gas engine and related systems running with as little effort as possible until i get around to converting the car to full electric. The car also seems to accelerate very well, but only gets around 25-30MPG...which frankly im not impressed with for a car/engine this size.

                          An issue i was having that took me forever to figure out was that my fuel pressure regulator also had seized up... not allowing fuel to flow back thru the return line, making my fuel system function as a returnless set up...the bad regulator was also leaking fuel back thru its vacuum line, flooding the intake randomly and causing hard starts. The blocked regulator/return also made the pump work very hard, so i kept blowing fuel pump fuses for no apparent reason because it was drawing so much current. The pump would also "sing" very loud as a result of this...but the singing stopped after replacing the regulator. The regulator, as well as most of the other Motronic EFI parts i think can be found in various things like VWs, BMWs, and Volvos...i know i grabbed 2 compatible regulators out of a volvo and a BMW in the junkyard...and saw that the distributor caps and injectors looked the same on said cars and the Yugo.

                          Another more recent issue here was that, yet another pressure regulator/valve in the fuel vent line had seized up...so my fuel tank bloated up on one of the first hot days here so the exhaust was banging on it...so i bypassed the valve and connected the vent directly to the charcoal canister so the tank can breathe and wont build up any pressure...but so the charcoal canister will still be functioning to some extent..

                          I have some PDF manuals of the Motronic system and pinouts for the computer etc if anybody wants me to email them.

                          On 7/4/2013 4:48 AM, yugo3333@... wrote:

                          In addition to the Yugo I plan on putting back together with the 1500, I'm planning on getting my EFI Yugo running as well for a daily driver.

                          My question is what type of fuel pump can I use as a replacement? Does it have to be the stock kind or any one that puts out 50-60psi? Does the pump get any special signal from the computer or can I have a switch with 12V?

                          Any help is appreciated.

                          Thanks,

                          DIM-E

                        • Gary Vitagliano
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jul 4, 2013
                            Pressure on my EFI is 60 and it runs perfect. I used an intank pump out of a 86 buick century, it almost fits perfect in the housing.

                            Message 13 of 14 , Jul 20, 2013
                              HI YUGO Owners. I have not received any Emails since July 4th. Wondering if I am still on the Mail list. I enjoy the YUGO talk.  Jim Muldoon(1988 YUGO GV)

                              Message 14 of 14 , Jul 20, 2013
                                What have you done to check your PC about the problem?