Re: [YugoUnitedGVOwners] O/T Race

    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 1, 2013
      Good news, bad news. The chap who bought our 145 (FIAT-badged Yugo that he was using as a local "hack" when he was in residence) sold the house here in our community. The new owners moved in with their Chrysler 200 and the 145 was there for a couple of days but this AM I noted the 200 in the center of the garage and no signs of the 145. I'll have to check w/ new owner to see if he knows where it went.

      As much as I love the New 500, I sort of (?) miss the ol' bus.

      wjs
      FIAT- Try it, you'll like it.
      Since 1958, over 1,000,000 miles in 16 of them.

      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 1, 2013
        Another race day finished at Mid-Ohio.
        Was a long one, with more than a 5 hour delay, due to an accident on the last lap of race 3. A Corvette and a Camaro got into heated combat thru the esses, body slamming each other. Going into Thunder Valley, the Corvette had a (sounds like) suspension failure, turning hard left into a Mustang, and both hit the Armco hard. The Corvette tore out 50 feet of barrier, and catch fence, lost everything forward of the engine, and front suspension (rumored to have rolled 3 times), and racing was halted untill repairs done. The driver went home to get another car for Sunday's race. Mustang driver was OK.

        The Midwest-Bayless X1/9 had a race long spirited battle with the second place car, (video soon), which also involved a slower car getting in the way, and a faster class car getting between Matt Brannon and the leader. Both almost cost us the race.
        Matt kept his concentration, reeled the leader back in, and passed for the win.

        Additionally, one thing accomlished was the fastest ever trap speed for Matt's X1/9 at Mid-Ohio, 112.9MPH. Straight is shorter at Mid-Ohio than Michigan, where he went 120MPH last Sunday.

        Will race again tomorrow.

        Art Hughes  Columbus, Ohio  USA

         Visit   www.wvaanne.com   Art's List of Family Connections, WV Rt  87

      • davep_in_ohio
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 3, 2013
          Congratulations on the win! Wish I could have been there, but am tied to a hospital pager for work this week...

          Congrats too on the fast run down the straight! Every time I try that on the racing simulator I misjudge my braking ability wanting to squeak out that 1 MPH more and take out the fence at China Beach or just make it and bounce off the wall on Turn 8!

          DaveP in Alliance OH... wishing he was racing his Yugo! :)

          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 3, 2013
            What race sim program do you have? How are the controls operated? Can you adjust the car?

            Truthfully, even with a win Sat, I couldn't grasp why the top speed was almost 3MPH faster than our last run there in 2012, (110+MPH last year vs 112.9 this year)  and we were almost 2 seconds faster lap time last year, compared to this past Sat.

            And Sunday in race 2, another win, we were nearly 2 seconds faster than Sat, and ran only 112.8 top end.
            Sat was 1:46.08
            Got a 1:44.1 yesterday, last year was 1:43.8.

            Art Hughes  Columbus, Ohio  USA

             Visit   www.wvaanne.com   Art's List of Family Connections, WV Rt  87

            Congratulations on the win! Wish I could have been there, but am tied to a hospital pager for work this week...

            Congrats too on the fast run down the straight! Every time I try that on the racing simulator I misjudge my braking ability wanting to squeak out that 1 MPH more and take out the fence at China Beach or just make it and bounce off the wall on Turn 8!

            DaveP in Alliance OH... wishing he was racing his Yugo! :)

          • David C. Pyatt

                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 5, 2013
                  Do NOT discount the effects of temperature, humidity, and barometric pressure. Pilots respect these puppies 'cause in some situations, it might make the difference between getting into the air or sipping through the bushes off the end of the strip. Performance figures for are always corrected to "standard conditions": Sea level, 29.92" barometric pressure, 20 deg. F (15 C) and there are charts available to adjust the figures for the "present" contitions.

                  I recall many years ago on rare occasions being able to pull certain very familiar hills with my 633cc. FIAT 600 in top cog whereas I'd almost always have to drop down to third.

                  A good mound of high pressure sitting overhead makes all the difference in the world. Conversely, low pressure? BOOO!

                  That's what boost is for, either of the positive displacement supercharger sort or turbo-supercharged via spent exhaust gasses. Civilian aircraft are generally turbo-boosted to sea level 'cause they run out of breath quickly as altitude increases.