Re: [YugoUnitedGVOwners] Turbo carb

  • kennellybill
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 25, 2013
      i guess it doesn't like to suck
      works better gravity fed

      it likes the bottem
      don't we all?

      -----Original Message-----
      From: yugophile <joffrey1@...>
      To: yugounitedgvowners2 <yugounitedgvowners2@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Mon, Mar 25, 2013 11:12 am
      Subject: [YugoUnitedGVOwners] Turbo carb

      "didn't know if indexing was worth it or if you had any
      opinions on position for yugo motor"
      Open side of the plug toward the intake valve methinks. I figure the
      way it helps is that when you do it to all the cylinders the timming
      from spark to peak pressure is more consistant...allowing you do dial
      it in that more precisely. Stock timing plays it safe and leaves
      untapped extra power to the more daring. So no improvement if you are
      already a few degrees away from ideal.
      "gonna drop the tank in the snow tonight and figure out how to punch a
      hole in the bottem for the tank for the pump"
      HUH ? why? !
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 25, 2013
        What are you feeding with your fuel pump? How much is the PSI rating for the pump?
        Do the instructions actually say it can't draw fuel from the tank?

        Art Hughes  Columbus, Ohio  USA

         Visit   www.wvaanne.com   Art's List of Family Connections, WV Rt  87

          Message 3 of 13 , Mar 26, 2013
            its a holley blue label... off top of my head i think it can push 60
            pounds... i don't think i will need more than 15 - 20, currently using
            a stock weber 32 DHTA i think its called, going to open up the needle
            and seat, jets and what not... also have thoughts of spraying it with
            NOS or race fuel through one of the bottom access plugs at the base of
            the carb if it won't push enough
            guys i talk with in the neighborhood claim these don't like to ever
            suck air, or have to pull fuel on startup
            for what i/m doing gravity fed makes sense... i think, i am new to
            this, livin a hillbillys dream

            Message 4 of 13 , Mar 26, 2013
              You might have just a little too much fuel pump.
              The Weber carb will flood at pressures over 6-7 PSI, and shouldn't get more than 4- 4 1/2 PSI for normal operation. The Carb float arm isn't strong enough, and the float itself is weak/small. Most say no more than 3-3 1/2 PSI, but I've used up to 5 1/2 PSI on a dual carb set up, but both carbs saw the same pressure. Fuel pressure is the same on one carb or 2.

              Most certainly, you'll need a high dollar fuel pressure regulator, not a cheap one, and the pressure cut back to 4-4 1/2 PSI.

              Most certainly, with 60PSI available, careful attention to fuel lines is required. Better not use rubber lines, and definitely NO slide on rubber hose connections with hose clamps, which are prone to loosening and blowing off.. Braided stainless lines and correct fittings in all places that see max pressure.

              My Yugo uses a 32/36 DGV Weber. I have a universal clicker type pump, low pressure, 4PSI, mounted of a bracket where the old mechanical pump was. $70 at O'Riellys autoparts. Might be cheaper elsewhere. (NAPA) Ran the same setup for 3 years on my first Yugo, without problems, and have about 3,000 miles on mine right now. I do have a return fuel line for unused fuel pressure with the stock restricter, which is just the orginal carb fitting, which simply has a very small hole.
              When I go to dual carbs I'll upgrade to the same type pump, which is available with 8PSI, and use a cheap regulator.

              The type pump you have probably could be installed hozizontal, even with the bottom of the tank, near the tank, and be fine, as long as it will function that way, by the instructions. Your buddies may be talking about underhood mounting causing failures.
              I ran the same pump for 8 years on my circle tack car, a foot away from the tank, even with the tank bottom.

              Art Hughes  Columbus, Ohio  USA

               Visit   www.wvaanne.com   Art's List of Family Connections, WV Rt  87

              Switch to: Text-Only, Daily Digest • Unsubscribe • Terms of Use • Send
              us Feedback

              .

            • kennellybill
              Message 5 of 13 , Mar 27, 2013
                thanx art as usual great info... i/ll keep u posted : )

                Switch to: Text-Only, Daily Digest • Unsubscribe • Terms of Use • Send
                us Feedback

                .
              • jseabolt2002
                Message 6 of 13 , Apr 21 4:45 PM
                  Sorry for just getting in on this subject late.

                  I'm using the same rejetted DFTA that came on the car with my turbo system. Desmogged.

                  I'm using a GM throttle body fuel pump that makes 20 PSI dead head pressure.

                  http://tiny.cc/o0zwvw

                  I'm using a Malpassi 1:1 fuel pressure regulator from a Maserati Bi-turbo but you can buy these new.

                  http://tiny.cc/44zwvw

                  I'm using an Oldsmobile control module with a pressure switch which grounds the small pin in place of the Bosch unit to give me 5 degrees retard under boost.

                  http://tiny.cc/q7zwvw

                  Here is my car:

                  http://tiny.cc/sxzwvw

                  --- In yugounitedgvowners2@yahoogroups.com, "yugophile" <joffrey1@...> wrote:

                  > "didn't know if indexing was worth it or if you had any
                  > opinions on position for yugo motor"
                  > Open side of the plug toward the intake valve methinks. I figure the way it helps is that when you do it to all the cylinders the timming from spark to peak pressure is more consistant...allowing you do dial it in that more precisely. Stock timing plays it safe and leaves untapped extra power to the more daring. So no improvement if you are already a few degrees away from ideal.
                  > "gonna drop the tank in the snow tonight and figure out how to punch a
                  > hole in the bottem for the tank for the pump"
                  > HUH ? why? !

                • kennellybill
                  Message 7 of 13 , Apr 22 2:56 AM
                    o man, very well done... i may be bending your ear with some questions
                    if u dont mind... did you have to open up your needle and seat on the
                    carb? if so do u recall how much

                    wrote:

                    > "didn't know if indexing was worth it or if you had any
                    > opinions on position for yugo motor"
                    > Open side of the plug toward the intake valve methinks. I figure
                    the way it helps is that when you do it to all the cylinders the
                    timming from spark to peak pressure is more consistant...allowing you
                    do dial it in that more precisely. Stock timing plays it safe and
                    leaves untapped extra power to the more daring. So no improvement if
                    you are already a few degrees away from ideal.
                    > "gonna drop the tank in the snow tonight and figure out how to punch a
                    > hole in the bottem for the tank for the pump"
                    > HUH ? why? !

                  • yugophile
                    Message 8 of 13 , Apr 22 7:56 AM
                      Did you have this one on the Guy Croft forum? Looks familiar. If so, I spent hours researching writing a reply to something you asked me, only to have Guy delete it - Grr! Havent been back. Did the problem get sorted there?
                      Jeff F
                      --- In yugounitedgvowners2@yahoogroups.com, "jseabolt2002" <jseabolt2002@...> wrote:

                      > Sorry for just getting in on this subject late.
                      >
                      > I'm using the same rejetted DFTA that came on the car with my turbo system. Desmogged.
                      >
                      > I'm using a GM throttle body fuel pump that makes 20 PSI dead head pressure.
                      >
                      > http://tiny.cc/o0zwvw
                      >
                      > I'm using a Malpassi 1:1 fuel pressure regulator from a Maserati Bi-turbo but you can buy these new.
                      >
                      > http://tiny.cc/44zwvw
                      >
                      > I'm using an Oldsmobile control module with a pressure switch which grounds the small pin in place of the Bosch unit to give me 5 degrees retard under boost.
                      >
                      > http://tiny.cc/q7zwvw
                      >
                      > Here is my car:
                      >
                      > http://tiny.cc/sxzwvw
                      >
                      > --- In yugounitedgvowners2@yahoogroups.com, "yugophile" <joffrey1@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > "didn't know if indexing was worth it or if you had any
                      > > opinions on position for yugo motor"
                      > > Open side of the plug toward the intake valve methinks. I figure the way it helps is that when you do it to all the cylinders the timming from spark to peak pressure is more consistant...allowing you do dial it in that more precisely. Stock timing plays it safe and leaves untapped extra power to the more daring. So no improvement if you are already a few degrees away from ideal.
                      > > "gonna drop the tank in the snow tonight and figure out how to punch a
                      > > hole in the bottem for the tank for the pump"
                      > > HUH ? why? !

                    • jseabolt2002
                      Message 9 of 13 , Apr 23 4:14 PM
                        --- In yugounitedgvowners2@yahoogroups.com, rdhesse@... wrote:

                        > o man, very well done... i may be bending your ear with some questions
                        > if u dont mind... did you have to open up your needle and seat on the
                        > carb? if so do u recall how much

                        No the only real mods required to the carb is to run a hose from the fuel vent port to the carb bonnet which tricks the carb into thinking it's still operating under vacuum conditions when pressurized.

                        There is also no need to alter with the throttle shaft seals. They don't leak any worse than any of other type of carb normally aspirated like Dual IDFs 40s which leak like hell anyway.

                        I had to step up the jetting on the carb from a 1.0 to a 1.2 primary main and a 1.5 secondary main. Don't quote me on the secondary. I'll have to check. if you keep the 1.1 liter engine, you may not need to mess with the primary or jet the secondary so fat. The secondary does need to be stepped up because the turbo doesn't really kick in unless the secondary is open.

                        I tinkered with the idle jets but that didn't prove to do any good.

                        A T25 is a good choice for anything under 1800ccs.

                        Here's my Yugo

                        http://tiny.cc/yxn0vw

                        here is the GM 5 pin control module installation:

                        http://tiny.cc/1yn0vw

                        I am also running this module on my Spider and it works well.

                        You can contact me at turbofiat124@... if you want to contact me directly.
                      • jseabolt2002
                        Message 10 of 13 , Apr 23 4:16 PM
                          --- In yugounitedgvowners2@yahoogroups.com, "yugophile" <joffrey1@...> wrote:

                          > Did you have this one on the Guy Croft forum? Looks familiar. If so, I spent hours researching writing a reply to something you asked me, only to have Guy delete it - Grr! Havent been back. Did the problem get sorted there?

                          Yeah I've been on that forum. I haven't been on there in awhile.

                          If it was in regards to the backfiring and rough running below 60F, then I solved that one by stepping up the primary main jetting from a 1.0 to a 1.2 and now the car runs like a champ well below freezing.
                        • jseabolt2002
                          Message 11 of 13 , Apr 23 4:16 PM

                            Message 12 of 13 , Apr 24 4:03 AM
                              thank you... hopefully i will be at that stage this weekend... had to
                              fab a new tank, old one had rust in it, afraid it would waste my new
                              pump an regulator
                              very excited
                              very very nice to meet you, at times didn't know if i could pull this
                              off, u give me hope that my dumbass can figure this out

                              thanx a ton
                              beautiful fab work under the hood, lotz of ingenuity