Re: [YugoUnitedGVOwners] FIAT X1/9/Strada engine bolt in

  • Jonathan Ranney
    Message 1 of 28 , Nov 1, 2012
      I found you can use the 4-speed sway bar if the car is at stock ride height.  A 5 speed bar would be better, I have one if you need it.

      Jon

      From: Art Hughes <pro4art@...>
      To: yugounitedgvowners2@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [YugoUnitedGVOwners] 1986 Yugo for sale
      Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2012 00:38:19 -0700 (PDT)

      You can bolt in a Fiat X1/9/Strada engine using the Yugo exterior bolt ons. Makes a huge performance diff.

      Message 2 of 28 , Nov 1, 2012
        I used a 34 DMTR w/ manual choke.
        I got about 22-24mpg.  :)

        Thanks for the information on what things I have to consider in doing the engine swap;  really helpful advice.  I like the trick about bending up the firewall to provide  clearance for the exhaust pipe since 1500 is a taller engine than the 1100 and the freeze/oven procedure to switch ring gears.  Will probably go with the 1500 heavier flywheel and starter though.  Good to know I can use the Yugo manifolds.  Will check into what carb I have and can use.
        Thanks again
        Dan

        You can bolt in a Fiat X1/9/Strada engine using the Yugo exterior bolt ons. Makes a huge performance diff.

        Art Hughes  Columbus, Ohio  USA

         Visit   www.wvaanne.com   Art's List of Family Connections, WV Rt  87

        > "internet special, $7,999.00" ... "Please contact us only if you can
        > afford the car at the price advertised. Our online price is a
        > discounted, no haggle price for buyers with cash or good-to-excellent
        > credit."
        >
        > Nice to see that the rest of the country is desperate for money,
        > unreasonable and insane...here i thought it was just isolated to
        > Pennsylvania...phew!
        >
        > On 10/30/2012 11:23 PM, David C. Pyatt wrote:
        > >
        > > A 1982 Ford Yugo GV with a 1.5 and a 4 speed...what the heck is it
        > > really????
        > >
        > > DaveP in Ohio
        > >
        > > 87 GV
        > > 88 GV - both with 1.1 and 4 speed and definitely not FORDS!
        > >
        > > On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 10:48 PM, Ken <racefan28@...
        > > <mailto:racefan28@...>> wrote:
        > >

        > > http://www.fivestarautogroup.com/vehicle//vehicle/used-1982-ford-yugo-gv-sport-393215.cfml?vid=393215&refby=www.centraltxautos.com
        > > <http://www.fivestarautogroup.com/vehicle//vehicle/used-1982-ford-yugo-gv-sport-393215.cfml?vid=393215&refby=www.centraltxautos.com>

        Woman is 57 But Looks 27
        ConsumerLifestyles.org

        Message 3 of 28 , Nov 1, 2012
          Thanks for the gas mileage numbers, Jonathon. Now I don't feel so bad.
          I have a 32/36 now, after using a 32/32 off a Fiat Spider, and wasn't getting good mileage. Still don't, but with your numbers, mine is similar. Figured 23.7MPG at fill up yesterday.
          I don't drive for mileage, and that's my intown mileage. I usually also drive too fast on the freeway anyway, and the 1100cc with only 4th gear, spins too fast and sucks gas. The silly thing seems happy at 70-80MPH.
          Never have done a trip yet, so i know it can get more MPG.

          Art Hughes  Columbus, Ohio  USA

           Visit   www.wvaanne.com   Art's List of Family Connections, WV Rt  87

          Thanks for the information on what things I have to consider in doing the engine swap;  really helpful advice.  I like the trick about bending up the firewall to provide  clearance for the exhaust pipe since 1500 is a taller engine than the 1100 and the freeze/oven procedure to switch ring gears.  Will probably go with the 1500 heavier flywheel and starter though.  Good to know I can use the Yugo manifolds.  Will check into what carb I have and can use.
          Thanks again
          Dan

          You can bolt in a Fiat X1/9/Strada engine using the Yugo exterior bolt ons. Makes a huge performance diff.

          Art Hughes  Columbus, Ohio  USA

           Visit   www.wvaanne.com   Art's List of Family Connections, WV Rt  87

          > "internet special, $7,999.00" ... "Please contact us only if you can
          > afford the car at the price advertised. Our online price is a
          > discounted, no haggle price for buyers with cash or good-to-excellent
          > credit."
          >
          > Nice to see that the rest of the country is desperate for money,
          > unreasonable and insane...here i thought it was just isolated to
          > Pennsylvania...phew!
          >
          > On 10/30/2012 11:23 PM, David C. Pyatt wrote:
          > >
          > > A 1982 Ford Yugo GV with a 1.5 and a 4 speed...what the heck is it
          > > really????
          > >
          > > DaveP in Ohio
          > >
          > > 87 GV
          > > 88 GV - both with 1.1 and 4 speed and definitely not FORDS!
          > >
          > > On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 10:48 PM, Ken <racefan28@...
          > > <mailto:racefan28@...>> wrote:
          > >

          > > http://www.fivestarautogroup.com/vehicle//vehicle/used-1982-ford-yugo-gv-sport-393215.cfml?vid=393215&refby=www.centraltxautos.com
          > > <http://www.fivestarautogroup.com/vehicle//vehicle/used-1982-ford-yugo-gv-sport-393215.cfml?vid=393215&refby=www.centraltxautos.com>

        • DANIEL BOGUSE
          Message 4 of 28 , Nov 1, 2012
            I have always gotten at least 34 up to 42mpg with my 88 GVX with the 1300 5spd.

            Message 5 of 28 , Nov 1, 2012
            • 1 Attachment
            • 253 KB
            The 1500 is not comparable to a 1300 as far as mileage. More torque, less MPG.  Couple that with some performance mods and a big carb and 30 is not realistic.  I did touch 30 mpg with that car going to Carlisle once.  I loved that car.....

            I have always gotten at least 34 up to 42mpg with my 88 GVX with the 1300 5spd.

            Thanks for the information on what things I have to consider in doing the engine swap;  really helpful advice.  I like the trick about bending up the firewall to provide  clearance for the exhaust pipe since 1500 is a taller engine than the 1100 and the freeze/oven procedure to switch ring gears.  Will probably go with the 1500 heavier flywheel and starter though.  Good to know I can use the Yugo manifolds.  Will check into what carb I have and can use.
            Thanks again
            Dan

            You can bolt in a Fiat X1/9/Strada engine using the Yugo exterior bolt ons. Makes a huge performance diff.

            Art Hughes  Columbus, Ohio  USA

             Visit   www.wvaanne.com   Art's List of Family Connections, WV Rt  87

            > "internet special, $7,999.00" ... "Please contact us only if you can
            > afford the car at the price advertised. Our online price is a
            > discounted, no haggle price for buyers with cash or good-to-excellent
            > credit."
            >
            > Nice to see that the rest of the country is desperate for money,
            > unreasonable and insane...here i thought it was just isolated to
            > Pennsylvania...phew!
            >
            > On 10/30/2012 11:23 PM, David C. Pyatt wrote:
            > >
            > > A 1982 Ford Yugo GV with a 1.5 and a 4 speed...what the heck is it
            > > really????
            > >
            > > DaveP in Ohio
            > >
            > > 87 GV
            > > 88 GV - both with 1.1 and 4 speed and definitely not FORDS!
            > >
            > > On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 10:48 PM, Ken <racefan28@...
            > > <mailto:racefan28@...>> wrote:
            > >

            > > http://www.fivestarautogroup.com/vehicle//vehicle/used-1982-ford-yugo-gv-sport-393215.cfml?vid=393215&refby=www.centraltxautos.com
            > > <http://www.fivestarautogroup.com/vehicle//vehicle/used-1982-ford-yugo-gv-sport-393215.cfml?vid=393215&refby=www.centraltxautos.com>

          • David C. Pyatt
            Message 6 of 28 , Nov 1, 2012
              I don't care if it gets 18 MPG. it will be a lot more fun than my 2002 Dakota 4x4 and still get better mileage! :)

              DaveP - Longing for a 1500 and a 5 speed in NE Ohio!
              87 GV
              88 GV

              [Attachment(s) from Jonathan Ranney included below]

              Message 7 of 28 , Nov 1, 2012
                My 84 X1/9 gets a min of 32 mpg,It has a 1.5 w/5spd.and it weighs 2250 lbs.So  a Yugo with a 1500 should do just as good but it depends on how you drive it.

                Message 8 of 28 , Nov 1, 2012
                  Your 84 X is fuel injected.

                  Message 9 of 28 , Nov 1, 2012
                    Jonathan
                    Same here. I loved my 1987 Yugo 1500 GT with 5 speed trans. My 3rd shift job caused me to fall out of love with it, as the hot morning drive to home with no AC, and falling asleep at traffic lights, convinced me I was too old to NOT have AC.
                    As you know, way faster than reasonable for such a small car, and constant fun screwing with other drivers who wouldn't ever suspect they would not be able to out run it easily.

                    Only did this once, illegal as heck, ran it up toward top end. Found out it was quite easy to cruise at 100-105MPH, whch I did for about 2 miles. Had more left, but was catching other traffic.

                    Message 10 of 28 , Nov 1, 2012
                      Only once.... ;) ;)

                      On Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 9:45 PM, Art Hughes <pro4art@...> wrote:

                      Only did this once, illegal as heck, ran it up toward top end. Found out it was quite easy to cruise at 100-105MPH, whch I did for about 2 miles. Had more left, but was catching other traffic.

                      Art Hughes  Columbus, Ohio  USA

                       Visit   www.wvaanne.com   Art's List of Family Connections, WV Rt  87

                    • Jeff Fahringer
                      Message 11 of 28 , Nov 2, 2012
                        I think the 1500 can get good MPG without sacrificing Power, if you are interested in pursuing that. Its a lower compression engine than the 1100 and 1300. 8.5/1 CR. Raise it, helps mpg and tourque!
                        Downside: may require premium gas.
                        Stock ignition timing is 5 degrees more retarded than a yugo's. Rather than get all the energy it can out of each powerstroke, it lights it late and sends more fuel and heat energy to the cat to keep it hot to meet emissions requirments. Optimum timing over the most used rpm and load levels will help power and MPG.
                        Downside: While looking for optimum advance you may give it too much which is BAD. Listen for knock, pinging, detonation. My engines have lasted a long time, but then I don't listen to the radio when I drive.

                        5 speed trans - get one! Or I suppose if you keep your top speed down to what ever speed can do at 3500rpm, ya might do OK. The pulse and glide tecnique would help a lot too. I just pulled that 3500rpm outa my ass preety much ...thats what my yugo spins @ 70 mph in 5th gear

                        Then theres fuel...I'm all about the programmable fuel and timing so I won't give advice about the carbs, but I still think having a wideband o2 sensor with a gauge is a very good idea. Not just for tuneing but for quickly figuring out whats going wrong should you find yourself sputtering to a halt.
                        Jeff F

                        --- In yugounitedgvowners2@yahoogroups.com, "David C. Pyatt" <dcpyatt@...> wrote:

                        > I don't care if it gets 18 MPG. it will be a lot more fun than my 2002
                        > Dakota 4x4 and still get better mileage! :)
                        >
                        > DaveP - Longing for a 1500 and a 5 speed in NE Ohio!
                        > 87 GV
                        > 88 GV
                        >
                        > On Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 5:46 PM, Jonathan Ranney <fiatpwr@...> wrote:
                        >
                        > > [Attachment(s) <#13abdf0b993e2c7b_TopText> from Jonathan Ranney included
                        > > below]
                        > >
                        > > The 1500 is not comparable to a 1300 as far as mileage. More torque, less
                        > > MPG. Couple that with some performance mods and a big carb and 30 is not
                        > > realistic. I did touch 30 mpg with that car going to Carlisle once. I
                        > > loved that car.....

                      • jesse nordlander
                        Message 12 of 28 , Nov 2, 2012

                          5 speed trans has the same 5th ratio as the 4th in the 4 speed i think.

                          I think the 1500 can get good MPG without sacrificing Power, if you are interested in pursuing that. Its a lower compression engine than the 1100 and 1300. 8.5/1 CR. Raise it, helps mpg and tourque!
                          Downside: may require premium gas.
                          Stock ignition timing is 5 degrees more retarded than a yugo's. Rather than get all the energy it can out of each powerstroke, it lights it late and sends more fuel and heat energy to the cat to keep it hot to meet emissions requirments. Optimum timing over the most used rpm and load levels will help power and MPG.
                          Downside: While looking for optimum advance you may give it too much which is BAD. Listen for knock, pinging, detonation. My engines have lasted a long time, but then I don't listen to the radio when I drive.

                          5 speed trans - get one! Or I suppose if you keep your top speed down to what ever speed can do at 3500rpm, ya might do OK. The pulse and glide tecnique would help a lot too. I just pulled that 3500rpm outa my ass preety much ...thats what my yugo spins @ 70 mph in 5th gear

                          Then theres fuel...I'm all about the programmable fuel and timing so I won't give advice about the carbs, but I still think having a wideband o2 sensor with a gauge is a very good idea. Not just for tuneing but for quickly figuring out whats going wrong should you find yourself sputtering to a halt.
                          Jeff F

                          --- In yugounitedgvowners2@yahoogroups.com, "David C. Pyatt" <dcpyatt@...> wrote:

                          > I don't care if it gets 18 MPG. it will be a lot more fun than my 2002
                          > Dakota 4x4 and still get better mileage! :)
                          >
                          > DaveP - Longing for a 1500 and a 5 speed in NE Ohio!
                          > 87 GV
                          > 88 GV
                          >
                          > On Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 5:46 PM, Jonathan Ranney <fiatpwr@...> wrote:
                          >
                          > > [Attachment(s) <#13abdf0b993e2c7b_TopText> from Jonathan Ranney included
                          > > below]
                          > >
                          > > The 1500 is not comparable to a 1300 as far as mileage. More torque, less
                          > > MPG. Couple that with some performance mods and a big carb and 30 is not
                          > > realistic. I did touch 30 mpg with that car going to Carlisle once. I
                          > > loved that car.....

                        • Jeff Fahringer
                          Message 13 of 28 , Nov 2, 2012
                            No, the 5 speed is taller for sure. Unless ya got some rare close ratio racing 5 speed from Europe maybe. I could recheck my rpm at 70 to be sure I got that right. Thats GPS 70mph not yugo speedo 70, by the way

                            --- In yugounitedgvowners2@yahoogroups.com, jesse nordlander <fiero377ci@...> wrote:

                            > 5 speed trans has the same 5th ratio as the 4th in the 4 speed i think.
                            >

                            > ________________________________

                          • DANIEL BOGUSE
                            Message 14 of 28 , Nov 2, 2012
                              The 5th gear is an overdrive gear.I have an 88 GVX 5spd car and I know that for sure.Nobody made a Euro race trans for the Yugo.I even tells you the ratios n the owners manual.

                              Message 15 of 28 , Nov 2, 2012
                                Close, but off some.
                                I don't have the gear info on a Yugo, but do have the X1/9 numbers.
                                The 4 speed X is a 4.076 diff gear, and 4th gear is .959.
                                The 5 speed X is a 4.077 diff, and 4th is either 1.042 or 1.033, early and late Boxes. 5th gear is .863.

                                .

                                Message 16 of 28 , Nov 2, 2012
                                  Daniel
                                  Not sure how long ago, but fairly recently, you can now get close ratio gear sets for Yugo 5speed transmissions. Has  a long first gear, so a little sluggish on take off, but tons of fun after you get moving. Not a backyard job, unless experienced in trans work.

                                  Message 17 of 28 , Nov 2, 2012
                                    Art, the more I listen to you, the more broke I get before I even start! :)  I can't wait!!!

                                    DaveP in NE Ohio
                                    anxious for his 1.5l x 5 speed Yugitalian road rocket!

                                    Message 18 of 28 , Nov 3, 2012
                                      I am currently rebuilding the last Yugo transmission I have on the shelf.  Since I no longer have any Yugo's I will attempt to sell it when it is completed.  I am waiting on one more part. These pars are getting rare, and very expensive.

                                      You can check out the progress here:
                                      http://vt-stromer.smugmug.com/photos/swfpopup.mg?AlbumID=26286745&AlbumKey=hq8Cmn

                                      I just completed an 850 transmission.  You can see that here:
                                      http://vt-stromer.smugmug.com/photos/swfpopup.mg?AlbumID=26311537&AlbumKey=dDK4j7

                                      Jon

                                    • Bryan

                                        Message 20 of 28 , Nov 3, 2012
                                          The reverse pinion gear rides on a bronze bushing. Everything else is is on steel.  The shafts are on ball bearings.

                                          I have not found these transmissions to be unreliable.   Ham fisted owners can wreck sliders and syncros, just like any other car.

                                          Jon

                                          Message 21 of 28 , Nov 3, 2012
                                            Really not a big deal.
                                            The trans was probably designed in the late 50's, and it, and the later 5 speed version was used untill the last X1/9 was imported, 1987. Then it was used in the Yugos in Europe, then from 1986-1991 in USA Yugos.

                                            It's not all that fragile, but can be destroyed by poor drivers, but can last years, with a little care.

                                            Reverse without actually stopping, not knowing how to downshift using the gas pedal, using rear axle drive lube instead of gear oil, are the prime causes of early failure.
                                            They often have a "clucking" sound at idle that is harmless, but annoying, and they do "whine" some. I know for a fact that the X1/9 5 speed version (same internals, basically) can deal with up to 110HP AT THE WHEELS, which might be 135HP + at the engine.

                                            Message 22 of 28 , Nov 3, 2012
                                              Yeah, but it sure is fun!

                                              Message 23 of 28 , Nov 7, 2012
                                                Hi Jon,
                                                Thanks for letting me know you have a 5 speed sway bar.  I actually picked one up years ago when I thought about putting a 5 speed in my GV.
                                                Dan

                                                I found you can use the 4-speed sway bar if the car is at stock ride height.  A 5 speed bar would be better, I have one if you need it.

                                                Jon

                                                You can bolt in a Fiat X1/9/Strada engine using the Yugo exterior bolt ons. Makes a huge performance diff.

                                                Art Hughes  Columbus, Ohio  USA

                                                 Visit   www.wvaanne.com   Art's List of Family Connections, WV Rt  87

                                                > "internet special, $7,999.00" ... "Please contact us only if you can
                                                > afford the car at the price advertised. Our online price is a
                                                > discounted, no haggle price for buyers with cash or good-to-excellent
                                                > credit."
                                                >
                                                > Nice to see that the rest of the country is desperate for money,
                                                > unreasonable and insane...here i thought it was just isolated to
                                                > Pennsylvania...phew!
                                                >
                                                > On 10/30/2012 11:23 PM, David C. Pyatt wrote:
                                                > >
                                                > > A 1982 Ford Yugo GV with a 1.5 and a 4 speed...what the heck is it
                                                > > really????
                                                > >
                                                > > DaveP in Ohio
                                                > >
                                                > > 87 GV
                                                > > 88 GV - both with 1.1 and 4 speed and definitely not FORDS!
                                                > >
                                                > > On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 10:48 PM, Ken <racefan28@...
                                                > > <mailto:racefan28@...>> wrote:
                                                > >

                                                > > http://www.fivestarautogroup.com/vehicle//vehicle/used-1982-ford-yugo-gv-sport-393215.cfml?vid=393215&refby=www.centraltxautos.com
                                                > > <http://www.fivestarautogroup.com/vehicle//vehicle/used-1982-ford-yugo-gv-sport-393215.cfml?vid=393215&refby=www.centraltxautos.com>