12277Re: [YugoUnitedGVOwners] Problem with radiator cooling fan

    Aug 15, 2014
      Take the wires off the fan switch in the bottom of the radiator. Use a paper clip to connect them, and then turn on the key. The fan should run.
      If it does, that leaves either the fan switch has gone bad (mine did 2 months ago), or you have air in the cooling system.
      Only take off the rad cap with the engine cold. If the coolant is below the rad neck, fill to bottom of the cap, then make sure your reserve tank is near 3/4 full. If you let the coolant res tank get low (empty), you have air in the system. Run it untill the fan comes on, and shut it off. If it hits the red, and the fan doesn't come on, shut it off and recheck the res tank in 15-20 minutes, after you fire it up and hold the idle fairly high for about 2 minutes. If you can get more coolant in the tank, (do not open the rad) it probably will continue to self bleed.
      The cooling fan doesn't have to work if you are speed. In a pinch, turn on the heater water and set the heater door to get air thru the heater, just like a winter day. Coolant check is always at the res tank, never the rad, unless the engine is cold.

      Art Hughes  Columbus, Ohio  USA

       Visit   http://www.wvaanne.com/   Art's List of Family Connections, WV Rt  87

      On Friday, August 15, 2014 5:32 PM, "bill nolan hello9949@... [yugounitedgvowners2]" <yugounitedgvowners2@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Oh    very good Dave  I'll check that out right away. Maybe the wires came off or something.  Thanks so much for responding !       Bill  N

      On Friday, August 15, 2014 12:49 PM, "'David C. Pyatt' dcpyatt@... [yugounitedgvowners2]" <yugounitedgvowners2@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      It is in the base of the radiator.  it has a 2 pin plug attached to it.

      DaveP

      On Fri, Aug 15, 2014 at 3:30 PM, bill nolan hello9949@... [yugounitedgvowners2] <yugounitedgvowners2@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Hi All
         I noticed yesterday while climbing into the mountains here in hot weather that my cooling fan never kicked in.  It usually does a great job of pulling the temp down into the mid range in just a minute but  the temp gauge  was about to touch the red and the fan didn't come on. When I got to where I was going I took a quick look at the fuses and wiring from the fan to see if I could spot anything obvious. Looked ok  and I noticed a couple of screw in sensors in the block in front, one higher on the engine than the other and figure one of those controls the fan. anyone remember which one ?  Any way to test it  and the fan motor before buying anything ?............Bill   N

    • Show all 10 messages in this topic