12258Re: [YugoUnitedGVOwners] My fathers poor 1986 Yugo, anyone in Wisconsin Fix these cheaply?

    Jul 31 6:37 PM
      I assume XMSN is your trans? Never heard about any bolt ins of other brand engines. The standard replacement is the Fiat X1/9 which is either 1300cc's or 1500cc's, and are direct bolts ins, using all Yugo externals. Also the Fiat 128 after 1973 is 1300cc's, and is another engine that is the same dimensions.
      The Yugo IS a Fiat, and manufacturing rights were sold by Fiat to Yugoslavia.
      If you don't want to do routine repairs, or spend big money. you certainly don't want to get involved swaping in anythig that isn't a bolt in like a Fiat engine, or for that matter any engine swap.
      My 1987 Yugo had less than 12,000 on it when I got it, and the gas tank was a mess. Stored with little fuel in it, I suppose, and it was badly rusted inside, so bad in fact, it wouldn't run more than 10 miles without trying to stall out. That single repair to clean the tank, likely is $350-$450 in todays dollars, and I wouldn't be surprised your Yugo will need it. if you want it running, you'll have to pick projects and get them done one at a time.

      Art Hughes  Columbus, Ohio  USA

       Visit   http://www.wvaanne.com/   Art's List of Family Connections, WV Rt  87

      On Thursday, July 31, 2014 7:09 PM, "rmay635703a@... [yugounitedgvowners2]" <yugounitedgvowners2@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      My father stuffed his 1986 yugo in the garage in 1992 because the front brake was locked hard, when he got parts in 1995 the car came out briefly and spurted antifreeze all over and went back in.

      Think it can be saved?  I don't have the time (or motivation) to do the repairs myself, I am curious if anyone could get it runnable without costing an arm and a leg.

      I am thinking new hoses, lines, timing belt, (obviously fluids) and of coarse the brakes.

      Let me know, I would love to have the car back on the road just for fun.

      Also some europeans seem to think the bolt pattern on the XMSN was the same as some daihatsu and toyota motors, any truth to that?

      Thanx
      Ryan

    • Show all 5 messages in this topic