12251Re: [YugoUnitedGVOwners] Looked into the front brake setup tonight...

    Jul 29 3:18 PM
      Dave-

      It was the Italians and they another example of the brilliant designs to have appeared under Dante Giacosa.

      You can knock the slides out with a large screwdriver... they're hardened and tougher than nails. The slides and the ways on the backs of the calipers should be clean, dry, and free from nicks and roughness as this is a part of the elegantly simple self-adjusting mechanism. I wrote of it in greater detail starting on page 51 in my bit on rear-engine FIATs here: REFiats

      Bill

      On 07/29/2014 08:44 PM, dcpyatt@... [yugounitedgvowners2] wrote:

      Which brilliant team of engineers do I have to thank for the ingenious caliper setup, the Italians or the Slavs?  Thank goodness I have a Haynes manual, I never would have figured it out... as it was I only took the top retaining slide out and replaced it... those little clips are getting a paint job florescent orange!  Lost them in the drive after setting them on the hubcap!

      Should I get a brass bar to use to knock these retainers in and out to keep from dinging them up?  I know my dad used to have one in his tool box, unfortunately I wasn't offered his tools when he passed away.  Any ideas where I might find one?

      DaveP in Ohio

      87-88-89

    • Show all 7 messages in this topic