12234Re: Just discovered camshaft / crankshaft timing off by ~3 teeth

  • lemur1
    Jul 2, 2014

      You called it Jeff, it's a Cabrio. I had a hell of a time convincing the California emissions referee that it came with a carburetor from the factory. The California emissions books incorrectly show EFI only for this car’s VIN and he originally told me that I wasn't going to be able to register it in California at all with that engine. Amazingly though, with bits and pieces I showed him that I had found online, along with his own research, he agreed that the information was inconclusive at best and it didn't look like someone had done an engine change so he's approving it. I've NEVER heard of the California emissions referee doing something like this so I feel pretty damn lucky. Now I just have to get the engine tuned up so it’ll pass the test.

      I've been operating under the assumption that the 1300cc was also an interference engine because that’s all I've heard so thank you very much for letting me know this is not the case. I don’t think my manuals state that anywhere but then again, I haven’t been looking for that information. They might mention it somewhere in there. I've been so worried about messing up the timing and damaging the engine. This lets me proceed with a bit more confidence.

      Art and Jeff, thanks for all the information on the timing marks and suggestion on degreeing the cam.  I think with all this info, I’ll be able to get the cam and crankshaft timed properly. The flywheel marks line up with 0 on the bell housing at the same time as the mark on the crankshaft pulley line up with the cam belt cover 0 mark. I’ll take the valve cover off this weekend so I can see exactly where the valves sit at TDC on 4. It also sounds like my temperature issue is most likely air in the system as I wasn't very careful to completely burp the system. I’ll go through that process you described Art and post the results of that along with the timing results when finished.

    • Show all 6 messages in this topic