11861RE: Clutch query for Turbo

  • yugophile
    Oct 24, 2013

      yeah the 1500 clutch disk is bigger, requires the matching pressure plate and  flywheel with the ring gear swapped over from a 1100/1300.   So you figure you just have so much torque when it hits high rpm that it starts slipping? Thats something.   Would be helpful to know how much torque it takes to make your clutch slip.  I don't know of a spec for it. I know that springs can weaken and of course, there is wear.  One time i didn't have a impact wrench for removing a crank pulley nut.  chocked the wheels and put it in high gear. Didn't get the nut off, but it let me know that the clutch would slip at a little over 100 ft pounds of torque. Seems crazy  that performance clutch sellers will just say "this stage 2 will have a little more hold than stock" and "stage 3 will have a lot more" without quantifying it with some sort of  measurement.  I couldn't find any yugo/fiat clutches on art's link.  I've been eyeing this one for my turbo cabrio project:  http://www.misterclutch.com/1988-yugo-gvx-spec-stage-3-clutch  If I can find an affordable 1500 flywheel, I would go with stage 2 performance clutch for that instead.

      Jeff

      ---In yugounitedgvowners2@yahoogroups.com, <rdhesse@...> wrote:

      thanx art for the 411... i will do some research and then maybe ask your opinion b4 i order

      --- In yugounitedgvowners2@yahoogroups.com, Art Hughes <pro4art@...> wrote:

      > If your clutch slips at high RPM, do you have enough free play in the adjustment?
      > Is it used/old, or replaced with a re-manufactured, or new assy? I'd avoid a reman clutch for high performance applications.
      >
      > Our company X1/9 race car uses a aftermarket, new, stock type clutch assy.  It's a respected manufacturer, and has had no problems. The clutch has 10 HARD races on it, 6,500 to 8,500 RPM is the normal engine range, and a few 9,000 RPM runs when shifting point has to be extended. Clutch is for the 1500CC engine, maybe that's what you'll have to do. Don't know if you can redrill the flywheel. The 1500 disc is 7.5 in diameter, the 1100 might be the same as the 1300, 7.145 In.
      >
      > Go to  www.quartermasterusa.com  I talked to a rep when at the National Championship races in Sept, and you might be wanting a "Rally' type clutch, which has more grip than a street unit.
      > You can check the Midwest-Bayless site to see what we have. We used a clutch from our parts stock. Can't give you the horse power we have, but our last race, we had more than ever, over a wider RPM range than the prev 9 races.
      >

      > Art Hughes  Columbus, Ohio  USA
      >
      >  Visit   http://www.wvaanne.com/   Art's List of Family Connections, WV Rt  87
      >                      Genealogy in Jackson and Mason Counties, WV

    • Show all 11 messages in this topic