11847Re: [YugoUnitedGVOwners] X1/9 struts

  • Robert Coates
    Oct 3, 2013
      I am not worried about ride comfort too much cause this car is being built for autocross only. I would love to be able afford your coil-overs but the car is going to have be competing in the Grassroots Motorsports $2014 challenge. So money is tight due to the budget. Matt would be able to tell me more about the VW struts?

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Oct 3, 2013, at 8:39 PM, Art Hughes <pro4art@...> wrote:

      At my work, Midwest-Bayless, we have already investigated the VW strut idea. We currently are making coil over struts for X1/9's, all 4 corners, with springs
      That tech will be used to build coil overs for Yugo's and other similar Fiat models. You'd have to call and ask for Matt, to get more info. I've ordered front and rear coil overs for my Yugo. I want a reasonable ride, that is, not a slam jolting over rough surfaces. Maybe 15% stiffer from stock. The old spine tells me what to design for.
      My idea is to eliminate the rear Yugo spring, which I feel binds the rear suspension on sharp, fast, turns. The Yugo buggy spring works really well, but I think fully independent rear suspension would be better. Plus, lowering the car will help with eliminating some of the rear wheel "jacking". The rear control arms run down hill, so they could tuck under, not go level when loaded with heavy side loads.

      I have plans for a stiffer front sway bar, and suspect I'll need a soft rear bar, to trim the handling. A lot of money, but have already converted the front brakes to "Whoa" 4 piston calipers, and the rears to X1/9 discs, and built a custom exhaust.
      Got some pics downloaded in the photo file, under My New Yugo.

      Art Hughes  Columbus, Ohio  USA

       Visit   http://www.wvaanne.com/   Art's List of Family Connections, WV Rt  87