Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: [YugoUnitedGVOwners] Problem solved...

(11844)
  • trkierp
    Oct 2, 2013 Expand Messages
    View Source
    • 0 Attachment
      Hi Art,
      Will change out the other side this weekend. All the other bushing have been changed out for new OEM ones. The passenger side is shifting... Much less than the driver side but it is still a bit loose. So far driver side is holding up fine. Will keep everyone posted.
      Regards,
      --- In yugounitedgvowners2@yahoogroups.com, Art Hughes <pro4art@...> wrote:
      >
      > Now that you have a source, do the other side too.
      > Make sure your front cross member support for the sway bar, isn't rusted, and coming apart.
      >
      > Art Hughes  Columbus, Ohio  USA
      >  
      >  Visit   http://www.wvaanne.com/%c3%82%c2%a0%c3%82%c2%a0 Art's List of Family Connections, WV Rt  87
      >                      Genealogy in Jackson and Mason Counties, WV
      >  
      >                                     
      >
      >
      > ________________________________
      > From: trkierp <trkierp@...>
      > To: yugounitedgvowners2@yahoogroups.com
      > Sent: Monday, September 30, 2013 4:15 PM
      > Subject: [YugoUnitedGVOwners] Problem solved...
      >
      >
      >
      >  
      >
      > Hi All,
      > Just dug out my password and rejoined the online human race! I do not remember if I informed everyone but my son toasted the '88 GVL 1100cc a few months back. Turns out it was bleeding oil from 5 of a possible 4 spots! Anyway we were forced to act quickly as young son found himself involved in yet another wreck which left him without wheels... Which,since I walk to work, left me without wheels! Still trying to figure that one out! I found a salvage 1100cc local for $200.00 picked it up and set out to do the swap. Talk about a roll of the dice... Engine was reported to have 25K on it and it did look pretty fresh but looks can be deceiving. I replaced all seals and moved known good parts from old to new... i.e. water pump, thermostat & housing, distributor and added new timing belt & new clutch on machined flywheel. Then pulled the old engine out. I left the exhaust system intact as I do not like breaking those bolts if I can avoid it! It was a bit tricky
      > pulling the engine as I had to tilt it way forward to get the long center stud out of the manifold. After cleaning the bay out I talked myself into breaking the manifold and down pipe apart to make install way easier. Taking them apart revealed a huge problem I had with both of my Yugos. No flange gasket! I have been chasing the stink in the cabin for years and have never taken that joint apart... Not much on exhaust stuff... do not have a big enough torch! That went back together as it should, with a gasket installed. Last thing I did after mating a fresh gearbox was inspect the control arm bushings. See the photos I posted for a visual on it's condition. I have been chasing this problem ever since Adding a cam. The wheels(actually the short shaft DS wheel) turns in under hard acceleration. This causes all kinds of problems most notably very short tread life. I decided to try to firm that bushing up so I checked with my machine shop about the
      > possibility of making them in Teflon. I was told that it is quite common among the suspension tuners to do just that. So I placed my order and when done I installed on the driver side. With everything reassembled and torqued I set about sorting things out... Really went very smoothly just needed a timing tweak and it was running like a top! A couple weeks into it and it is like a new car no exhaust smell in the cabin and very nice tracking that is no longer effected by torque. The geometry of the steering is really quirkily but removing the left inner bushings ability to flex as much has really changed the cars manners. Happy driving!
      > Regards,
      > Rocco
      >
    • Show all 5 messages in this topic